Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

141 - 160 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
568 Posts
The reason Tesla’s can charge so quickly is partially due to the battery architecture, but mainly due to the sheer size of the batteries, the bigger the battery the faster you can charge it.

My 40 Leaf could cover 300 miles pretty easily with two 20 minute charge stops that’s about what You would want for comfort on a circa 5 hour journey.

Even without thermal management driving at 60mph it’s battery reaches a pretty optimal operating temperature in our climate and stays there.

I don’t really see the problem.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,503 Posts
Finally, I think Donald and Metastable should get a room. I've lost count of the threads ruined by the former.
Why?

Why?

WHY do 'you' people do this?

Why do you create an argument with someone you had no argument with?

If I have posted a bad thread-degrading post then report the post for it and get it wiped.

I respond to
a) illogic (non-sequitur, random or whatever)
b) blatant factual error
c) unprovoked ad hominem attacks on me

Which of those do you (or anyone) say is 'unreasonable'?

Guess which sort of response this is, buddy?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
@SueH can you please stop saying I'm having a go (I think that's what lament means) at EVs - I AM NOT !!!!!!!!! - any of my words on this discussion that you may be taking out of context are purely said in trying deperately to actually get people to discuss what I brought up, not what they think I brought up.

So I will repeat again for you and anyone else, I KNOW EVS ARE FINE FOR MANY PEOPLE RIGHT NOW. I may have been critical in the past, but people do change their opinions you know, and this last year has brought many improvements, choices, and to some degree even prices. And certainly to the charging network.

So I will also repeat again my original question, and the reason I raised it. You and most people on here will have seen the zillions of "new breakthrough battery" videos on youtube; you will have read (or should have) many peoples comments about how battery technology is improving incredibly rapidly, and will give cars at half the price, and twice the range - all I was aking in this thread was "Ok, so if those don't amount to anything, what else could we do to help range, and cost".

Now please lay off me, and either discuss my question, or go away, because you're not helping.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Now please lay off me, and either discuss my question, or go away, because you're not helping.
SueH had a point though you spent most of your time on here moaning about some aspect of EV's in almost every thread you create, there is little difference here, you've just dressed it up to look like it isn't by adding a question at the end about how to improve current technology.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 · (Edited)
@EVJourney are you absolutely sure about that, have you read the entire thread from start to finish ?

in fact, have you even read the whole of my last post ?

[edit] in fact, I'm really pi55ed off about that comment - I have repeatedly said that EVs are not depreciating in price quickly enough for them to save us humans, because they never get to a price where the vast majority of us can afford them, and that the manufacturers bringing out more and more extremely expensive huge SUVs and supercars aren't exactly helping - and there isn't an EV review out there that doesn't repeat that now, so everyone else has noticed it too! I've repeatedly suggested that faster charging times would enable us to use the smaller batteries on even the one off long holiday journeys without having any reason to complain; and since we've now owned 2 PHEVs and 2 Zoes, you can't say I haven't pumped lots of money into the EV world - so why exactly do many people think I hate them ???

·
Registered
517 Posts
are you absolutely sure about that, have you read the entire thread from start to finish ?
Ha, your first response, the 4th post into this thread is you criticizing how 'slow' current batteries charge in fact, just re-read what you wrote:

"we don't want to stop every hour for a half hour charging. A big stop for lunch yes, but I don't want to stop for a half hour pee (4 times on a 300 mile journey!). Most people on here would say don't worry about it, but it would be nice to not have to, and without battery improvements, that's not going to happen- and I suspect that most humans wouldn't be patient enough either ! "

Whether that is hyperbole or otherwise it is consistent with your style of moaning, so in you've gone from asking a question to whining and bundling in most of the human race as well with your opinion, in one post!

I gave a genuine response, 5-10 years ISN'T along time, from conception, to lab prototype, to field testing, to safety analysis, to mass production all these things take time.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,294 Posts
Why?

Why?

WHY do 'you' people do this?

Why do you create an argument with someone you had no argument with?

If I have posted a bad thread-degrading post then report the post for it and get it wiped.

I respond to
a) illogic (non-sequitur, random or whatever)
b) blatant factual error
c) unprovoked ad hominem attacks on me

Which of those do you (or anyone) say is 'unreasonable'?

Guess which sort of response this is, buddy?
So, it’s everybody else’s fault that you’re so often at the centre of a thread crap shoot?

Stop acting wounded all the time, and try to stop being so rude.

I knew you wouldn’t be able to change your spots, ‘sponsored silence’ or otherwise.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Ok, I'm sorry, all EVs are perfect, I have no idea why I'm moaning and lamenting that fact. They have no issues whatsoever for every single person that wants a car, they can't be improved in either range, price nor quality, and it's extremely annoying to most people to have anyone on their own, without anyone agreeing with them, just to even mention that they could be improved in some ways possibly.

When was moaning about the fact that there are issues with current technology considered against the law ???

But you have won, forget the actual question raised in post 1, apparently all that matters is the fact that I personally have some problems with current EVs, which unfortunately make it very hard for me to go the whole hog. Even though I really wasn't trying to bring that into this question.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What will happen if batteries don’t improve? The same as if batteries do improve - ICE car sales will stop in 2030 and people forced into them. If prices remain high (both new and used) then more people will be forced off the road

curious whether synthetic fuels will get any traction to at least try and clean up the existing fleet of ICE cars likely to remain on the road past 2030, but that’s also likely to be expensive

·
Registered
30 Posts
What will happen if batteries don’t improve? The same as if batteries do improve - ICE car sales will stop in 2030 and people forced into them. If prices remain high (both new and used) then more people will be forced off the road

curious whether synthetic fuels will get any traction to at least try and clean up the existing fleet of ICE cars likely to remain on the road past 2030, but that’s also likely to be expensive

That 2030 deadline you might see start to be pushed back if things haven't improved, as someone mentioned earlier, the government would be terrified of losing their seats in parliament so if the population seemed to push against that date being implemented, it would be delayed.

In my personal opinion they've put a date in without a plan to get things ready for it, they should be providing big investment to charging networks (including houses that don't have drives) to get the country 'ready' and the public perception more in favour.

·
29,503 Posts
SueH had a point though you spent most of your time on here moaning about some aspect of EV's in almost every thread you create, there is little difference here, you've just dressed it up to look like it isn't by adding a question at the end about how to improve current technology.
He's not been moaning at all. You're just reading in your own biases. He's asking to lay out the options going forward.

·
29,503 Posts
Ok, I'm sorry, all EVs are perfect, I have no idea why I'm moaning and lamenting that fact. They have no issues whatsoever for every single person that wants a car, they can't be improved in either range, price nor quality, and it's extremely annoying to most people to have anyone on their own, without anyone agreeing with them, just to even mention that they could be improved in some ways possibly.

When was moaning about the fact that there are issues with current technology considered against the law ???

But you have won, forget the actual question raised in post 1, apparently all that matters is the fact that I personally have some problems with current EVs, which unfortunately make it very hard for me to go the whole hog. Even though I really wasn't trying to bring that into this question.
You can see why, in generally, I try and I struggle to get a higher level of discussion out of this forum.

If we were apes from 10 million years back, they'd be asking why you are complaining that bananas are our main staple, and why do you think there might be something better than sleeping in a tree.

·
29,503 Posts
So, it’s everybody else’s fault that you’re so often at the centre of a thread crap shoot?
Everyone else that engages in slugging ad hominems at me, yep, it's their fault.

Can they not control themselves from throwing personal insults and personalised derogatory comments around?

Yep. Their fault.

Not that many do it, actually, but those who don't seem to know what 'ad hominem' means, usually.

Or you just want me to stay quiet and take all the insults?

·
Registered
Tesla M3 SR+ In a whiter shade of pale
260 Posts
donald said
Or you just want me to stay quiet and take all the insults?

Just staying quiet would be enough thank you 😂

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
But being jaded with someone does not mean that everything that person has said is wrong, or that they haven't changed their opinion. Strangely, they may just have been misunderstood and perhaps no-one has taken the time to try to understand what they're saying ? or even, heaven forbid, you yourself may be wrong in how you've read it ?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,294 Posts
But being jaded with someone does not mean that everything that person has said is wrong, or that they haven't changed their opinion. Strangely, they may just have been misunderstood and perhaps no-one has taken the time to try to understand what they're saying ? or even, heaven forbid, you yourself may be wrong in how you've read it ?
And that’s not what I said, but I for one am tired of all the nonsense.

141 - 160 of 214 Posts