• Front or back

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Right hand side (UK offside)

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Left hand side (UK nearside)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Right or Left

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • On the roof, or somewhere equally odd (explain below)...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seeing as all us EV owners are highly opinionated SMEs with first-hand real-world experience...

With only a bit of wiring to consider, and no "fuel" tank design limitations, the world is our oyster...

Where should EV charge points go?

Why?

Be a car designer for a moment, convince me. ;)

I'm also convinced whatever we come up with in terms of the majority vote will be adopted as a global standard and make all our lives easier in the future. Really.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,434 Posts
I would have put rear nearside but that option was not available so just selected nearside. With hindsight though probably better at the front to avoid rear passengers knocking it if getting in and out whilst charging.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I voted front based on my experience with the Leaf and Ampera. I much prefer the Leaf position at the front but the back would also work. However, on the side, as with the Ampera/Volt, I find that in car parks it sicks out the side a bit much and people can bash against it and snag the cable when moving between cars.

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
Would have like to put front right as on the Volt you have to walk around the car to plug in. Slightly off topic but how do you lock your cable up when charging a Leaf, on the Volt we loop the cable through the wheel and padlock it back on itself.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Slightly off topic but how do you lock your cable up when charging a Leaf, on the Volt we loop the cable through the wheel and padlock it back on itself.
I don't.

If it gets unplugged I get an email or phone app message. Through car wings with the Leaf or OVMS on the Ampera.

It won't get nicked as it is locked at the type 2 end.

·
Registered
991 Posts
On the 1st Gen you can lock the cable to the charge lid with a padlock. On the On the 2nd Gen Leaf you can lock the Type1 cable to the car, a switch on the dash controls it.

I like the front location but wish there was a small stowage area at the front for the cable. The i3 has a frunk but then has it's socket at the rear side!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I like the front access like the leaf, however I have had issues when the bay is short so you need to park up to the wall, makes getting to the port difficult.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I vote for the front as on the leaf. Mainly for ease really. As most of my charging is at home and the charger is in the garage it is easy to just pull up and plug in. With a 5 mtr teathered cable I would imagine you have to get pretty close for side ports? I agree that I would like a frunk to store cables and other odds and ends. Having had the car 2.5 months I had a look under the bonnet yesterday and I'm sure they could make space.

·
Registered
167 Posts
As an Ampera owner I have to admit that the side position is somewhat vulnerable to knocks. On the other hand the front position is probably more difficult to protect from water ingress, although the leaf seems to have overcome this roblem? The rear requires backing into spaces and is therefore not ideal. My vote therefore is for the front.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Putting the socket at the rear of the car (like a petrol cap) has a major issue. My car has a rear-mounted charge port, no reversing camera or sensors and poor rear visibility. This has meant that I have discovered the downside of protective bollards that are lower than the bottom of rear windscreen!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Currently the issue I find in Newcastle is that all the on street parking with chargers have the posts at the nearside rear of the bay, therefore only 100% suitable for evs designed with nearside rear sockets. Using my leaf means positioning the cable over the bonnet and wing mirror to the post. I did this once before my wife got out of the car and had to de plug to let her out. If I can I park in the opposite direction to the traffic flow so the front is next to the post. Car parks with forward facing units are obviously not an issue for front based socket evs and the same problem applies to those with rear sockets, hence they reverse in.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Can we have front and back? I've never had a problem plugging in with the Tesla connector on the side of the car but have always thought it's incredibly vulnerable sticking out of the side.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
@Colin This to me sounds like the position of the post was determined without any consideration for cars with anything other than rear nearside sockets. If the post was central on the parking bay would that not mean that the cable would reach to front, back or nearside ports with ease?

As posts are to be used by all designs of cars they should be positioned in a way that doesn't favour one over another IMO.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
@Paul_Churchley Yes indeed, probably prior to the Leaf design. I thought of central posts but then you have the problem of hampering passenger door openings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts