·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my service last summer with Nissan they gave me some warnings:
- red warning for track rod ends
- amber warning for lower arm bush

nissan_service.jpg

I think they wanted around £500 to fix as I remember, not sure if this was to fix both issues.

Anyway I have managed to source the parts online for the Track Rod Ends, only £20 each.

But I cant find the parts for the suspension "Lower Arm Bush" - does anyone have any idea/link to where I can source this part?

I am planning to get my local garage to review this issue upon next MOT and ask for their labour charge to fix if I provide the parts.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS the trigger for this was I got some strong vibration in the steering wheel the other day while driving at around 65/70 uphill, enough to stop car to check for flat tyre. Since then it has been OK but I suspect the issue might be related to these suspension/steering issues and I am worried my car is going to fall apart while doing 70!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Your local garage should be capable of sourcing the parts.
There's nothing particularly exotic about the suspension parts on a leaf.
It's almost certainly the cause of the vibrations so I'd repair ASAP.
The bush may be an issue as often these only come as part of the arm which suddenly makes it expensive.
No sure if the third party market in parts has arrived for the leaf yet.

Reactions: mameha

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Your garage it probably telling the truth, its not easy for anyone other than a main dealer to get seperate bits . After kerb damage I needed a replacment rack end. Nissan refused to supply one to my mechanic and told the garage they would have to buy an entire replacment steering assessmbly for £1200

The parts use non standard threads and we had to engineer one (the thread just so happens to match that of some kind of classic motor bike spark plug!)

I'm having similar vibration issues, I suspected I'd damaged the bearings but moving the wheels to the back hasnt moved the sound or vibration.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Booked in for Weds will let you know what the local garage say.

I like to at least get a price for the parts so I can judge whether they are trying to rip me off or not. I took my ICE in for brakes this weekend, they wanted £170 for it but if I supplied the parts myself it worked out to £135 (parts £90, £45 labour) so I saved some coin and also got better quality disc pads/discs then they would have used. I am not a mechanic so have no idea what for example a 'track rod end' is or how much it should cost, they could ask £1000 and that might be reasonable for all I know. So I like to get the facts first when I can.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I was under the impression the suspension was basically from the Juke. Should be easy to find...
GSF list them as 422NI0210 and -20. £138 complete. ( Same parts fit a diesel Juke). Seems they supply the rear bush for the Juke but not the Leaf. I'd bet they're the same.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The garage said the suspension bushes were fine and I shouldn't change them yet and didnt even quote on it. Unlike Nissan who last year would hardly let me out of there without getting £500 or so to change them after my service.

The track rod ends they said they would only use Nissan parts and quoted me £200 + VAT for the parts and labour so I went ahead with that.

They also offered £140+VAT for the labour only and no warranty but I was unable to source the genuine parts myself online (I found one on ebay but need two) and figured I would be quoted similar from other garages anyway.

·
Super Moderator
12,207 Posts
Just as well.

I replaced the thrust arm bushings on my BMW with cheap eBay parts only to have them fail in less than a year.

Next time I paid a lot more for quality parts from a well trusted supplier.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yep that's what the mechanic said, the OEM parts don't last.
I'd certainly make sure any parts are from the original manufacturer, and GSF or Euro car parts are a good source for these in my experience. With eBay you're more likely to get counterfeits. I replaced some droplinks with eBay-sourced versions on my Skoda and got half the life, but since they were easy to replace and very cheap I wasn't too bothered. They certainly don't need to have a car manufacturer's name on the bag to be high quality.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeh I couldnt find the parts on ECP or GSF though.
GSF had some suspension arms but they were 3rd party.
I found track rod ends on ebay but again 3rd party.

Garages probably have access to some business only supplier, my garage ordered the track rod ends in at 930 for delivery same day at noon so somewhere local must stock the nissan parts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In the USA we have laws that forbid manufacturers refusing to sell parts to non-dealers, so since they have competition they cannot well get away with charging $500 for a part that you can get aftermarket for $50 that cost the motor vehicle manufacturer $5 from the Chinese or Vietnamese factory that made the part. Of course you could get them for $5 each if you ordered 10,000.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.