Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

· Registered
357 Posts
Hi @Maddog.

Sorry for the delay... I have only just seen this question:

A cable suitable for Mode 3 charging of the Outlander or any Type 1 (J1772) car, is our Type 1 to Type 2 cable here:

Mode 3 charging: Fixed and dedicated socket-outlet
Mode 3 can be used for the charging of an electric vehicle and this is the preferred solution in the long term. Mode 3 chargers are defined in 2 configurations, either with a tethered cable or a dedicated socket-outlet.

The outlander only comes with the 5 meter 10amp EVSE from the dealer. The equivalent cable to above (however 16amp) is around £300.

Be cautious with 16amp cables as some public charge points don't accept them.

I hope that helps...

Mark

· Registered
63 Posts
I pick mine up tomorrow evening, it was on the June 5th ship. @Mark Do I need a to get a cable? I was assuming the fast charge points had their own cables that you just plug in to the fast charge socket on the car. Also is there a definitive one stop map of the charge points anywhere? Each company seems to have its own map. As you can tell im new to EVs.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
I pick mine up tomorrow evening, it was on the June 5th ship. @Mark Do I need a to get a cable? I was assuming the fats charge points had their own cables that you just plug in to the fast charge socket on the car. Also is there a definitive one stop map of the charge points anywhere? Each company seems to have its own map. As you can tell im new to EVs.
Hi @James12 , welcome!

Confusingly there are fast chargers, and rapid chargers. Rapid chargers are the 'fastest' - you connect to the large circular charge port (CHAdeMO connector) on the car. These are the public charge points you tend to find on Motorways, IKEA, and some other locations. They are always tethered connections, so you just plug in using the fixed cable. You'll need an RFID card from Ecotricity (free), CYC (£20), Chargemaster (£££) to access these locations. Check on the various charge maps to see which you need.

Fast chargers are slower than rapids. :rolleyes:
For the Outlander, a fast charge will be fairly slow - limited to 16A 3.3kW charging. These will charge at the same rate as a fixed home charger. Typically, most public fast charge stations (often found in car parks or on street parking etc.) use a "Type 2 socket". To connect an Outlander you need a "Type 1 to Type 2 cable" which connects to the smaller charge port on the Outlander, and the socket on the post. This isn't supplied with the car, so if you can't use the 13A plug adapter, you could consider buying a cable but they're quite expensive. The best option is the cable from @nuWorld Energy which is rated to 32A and cheaper than the Mitsubishi one. You don't need 32A but I've heard some charge points take a dislike to 16A cables.

Enjoy the Outlander - mine is imminent, also landed on the 5th. :D

· Registered
63 Posts
Ah thanks that explains it, I think we should be fine then, I am expecting to only use the rapid charges on long trips , most other journeys should be covered by the EV range and charging at home. I have a Ecotricity card , and a charge master from my BG polar install, have not subscribed to them yet though.

· Registered
6 Posts
Ah thanks that explains it, I think we should be fine then, I am expecting to only use the rapid charges on long trips , most other journeys should be covered by the EV range and charging at home. I have a Ecotricity card , and a charge master from my BG polar install, have not subscribed to them yet though.
Hi James12, thanks for asking those questions, they were on my mind, saves me from asking too. I did get a 13A heavy duty RCD fitted extension lead as the mitsubishi one is only 5m, this will stay in the car for days when at friends/family and more than 5m from a socket!

I was finally told what my number plate is yesterday and still forecasting delivery this Friday 27th (mine was a 5th June boat too). Any tips for the BG install? They coming to me on 2nd July, anything I can do to (a) speed up the install or (b) and thing I need to think of in advance, such as any questions that surprised you on the day? Any accounts I need to set up in advance (PaulM, thanks for tip on ecotricity, I'll sign up for that now)
Hope you (and PaulM) enjoy the outlander, we've all had to wait patiently whilst others got theirs off the boat sooner but several have posted good PHEV specific tips (eg maddogs) here and on myoutlanderphev.com

· Registered
63 Posts
I got my BG charger installed a few months ago and was lucky as BG did it them selves. They could only fit a 13amp charger, for the fast charger you need thicker cables, so It has to be installed very near your consumer unit. I have a small secondary consumer unit in my shed which they wired it into. My dad tried to get one installed in his garage by a sub contractor from British Gas who said he needed a consumer unit added to the garage and wanted to charge him £250 for the pleasure, so I am just using the 13A plug there. He was also upset at having to drive round peoples houses and not being able to install the chargers and not getting paid for it. I would call BG and try to get a BG person to do it if possible rather than a sub contractor.

I am also interested in the difference between charging through a 13A plug and a 13A polar charger. I am assuming the charger has some way of varying the current to help the battery charge better/quicker. I am not convinced of the need/benefit of a 13A charger, but I am sure I will be enlightened!

· Registered
2,125 Posts
I got my BG charger installed a few months ago and was lucky as BG did it them selves. They could only fit a 13amp charger, for the fast charger you need thicker cables, so It has to be installed very near your consumer unit. I have a small secondry consumer unit in my shed which they wired it into. My dad tried to get one installed in his garage by a sub contractor from British Gas who said he needed a consumer unit added to the garage and wanted to charge him £250 for the pleasure, so I am just using the 13A plug there. I would call BG and try to get a BG person to do it if possible rather than a sub contractor.

I am also interested in the difference between charging through a 13A plug and a 13A polar charger. I am assuming the charger has some way of varying the current to help the battery charge better/quicker. I am not convinced of the need/benefit of a 13A charger, but I am sure I will be enlightened!
I'm no expert (so expect to corrected), but the 13amp plug will only actually charge at a maximum of 10amps, whereas the BG charger is actually a 16amp charger, so is quite considerably faster...

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Grrr. Not coming on Thursday :mad: Latest update "vehicle delayed at the docks", expected to dealer on 30th for delivery July 8th!
I already have the reg number, and all paperwork done. Tantalisingly close.

Already sold our X-Trail and put 1000 miles on the LEAF in 3 weeks, need to calm down otherwise I'll blow our limit on the My Electric Avenue lease. Got a few awkward long journeys to manage in the next few weeks too - been lucky so far, but the PHEV would make life sooo much easier. :(

· Registered
6 Posts
Grrr. Not coming on Thursday :mad: Latest update "vehicle delayed at the docks", expected to dealer on 30th for delivery July 8th!
I already have the reg number, and all paperwork done. Tantalisingly close......
oh no...i thought my lot were a bit cagey on Monday when they gave me the numberplate without confirming delivery but still 'aiming for' 27th June. Please, no more delay...how can it take 20+ days to get out the docks?! Appreciate you are in the Leaf but I sold my wife's Zafira (got a good price so did the deal there and then) and got a hire car. That was 4 weeks ago...looking like an expensive decision now! And I'm driving around in a gold coloured peugeot. :eek: (okay, forgive me any gold peugeot owners reading this)

· Registered
69 Posts
How close to the vehicle were you when you tried? I have to get within about 15 feet for my phone to 'see' the wifi most days. Which somewhat undermines it's usefulness of course o_O. So much for the idea of using the app to turn on the headlights and find your car in a car park...

IMHO the app will be an irrelevance to most people unless Mitsubishi can redesign it to operate over the mobile network.

· Registered
6 Posts
At last, delivery date! Provisional delivery was tomorrow (even in conversation with dealer this week no hint of delay) but Dealer called today say its through PDI, so let's agree delivery date - my suggestion of tomorrow fell somewhat flat - have to wait 2 weeks for free tax disc, aargh! Will be delivered on a transporter 14th July. (Other option was going to collect on 10th and have 200 mile drive home and use up a days holiday to do it..was tempted)

But a concrete confirmed delivery date, woo-hoo!

· Registered
2,125 Posts
At last, delivery date! Provisional delivery was tomorrow (even in conversation with dealer this week no hint of delay) but Dealer called today say its through PDI, so let's agree delivery date - my suggestion of tomorrow fell somewhat flat - have to wait 2 weeks for free tax disc, aargh! Will be delivered on a transporter 14th July. (Other option was going to collect on 10th and have 200 mile drive home and use up a days holiday to do it..was tempted)

But a concrete confirmed delivery date, woo-hoo!
You don't need to wait for the free tax disc. Your dealer can provide confirmation that it's been applied for in the unlikley event you get stopped (why would you be stopped? The police know that no dealer will let you drive away without having that sorted...)

I say push back! Get it next week!

· Registered
219 Posts
That's the nightmare of going via a company lease scheme (in my case hitachi), they won't release the paperwork for it without disc :( . I even begged...it wasn't pretty!
I deal with Hitachi and it sounds like a fob off..... they can take the V5 to the Post Office and get one but they prefer to send everything to the DVLA! Roll on October! :D

· Premium Member
12,081 Posts
41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.