Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
EV6 GT Line and e208 GT
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the current set up (forgive the pun)!

Heading up to York next week and wondered whether it was worth diverting there and topping up for return to London or trying for an Instavolt nearer to York or heading back to Skelton Lake on way home. Thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
327 Posts
There's 3 rapid chargers. 2 have 2xCCS, and 1 has 1xCCS and 1xCHAdeMO. Also an AC Charging post to the side. The software still doesn't support dual charging as far as I know, not that there's really enough parking space to allow this anyways.

It gets super busy especially late afternoon, evening and weekend. There's a good chance that you may need to wait, and in my experience people aren't always civilised about the queues.

Skelton lake tends to be even busier by day, and turns into the chav raceway after dark.

If you're heading in to York there's a good chance you will beturning off the A1 at that junction anyways. It's not going to hurt to quickly pull in and check what's going on. If it looks too busy you can always plug in within York itself.

·
Registered
EV6 GT Line and e208 GT
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's 3 rapid chargers. 2 have 2xCCS, and 1 has 1xCCS and 1xCHAdeMO. Also an AC Charging post to the side. The software still doesn't support dual charging as far as I know, not that there's really enough parking space to allow this anyways.

It gets super busy especially late afternoon, evening and weekend. There's a good chance that you may need to wait, and in my experience people aren't always civilised about the queues.

Skelton lake tends to be even busier by day, and turns into the chav raceway after dark.

If you're heading in to York there's a good chance you will beturning off the A1 at that junction anyways. It's not going to hurt to quickly pull in and check what's going on. If it looks too busy you can always plug in within York itself.
Sounds like 3 cars charging on 3 chargers is the max. I will do as you suggest and have a look. Sometimes you can get lucky! If not, I will head into York and try for an Instavolt. Many thanks.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
327 Posts
Quite often use Askham bar park and ride near the racecourse at York.
Not sure what chargers they have but never noticed it being busy during day, odd car plugged in but certainly no queueing for whatever chargers there are.
There’s only 2 rapids, only one of which works, and it’s on the abandoned CYC network. So unless you have a whitelisted RFID card for it you don’t have much chance of getting a charge there, in my experience.

They were supposed to be rolling out the new charging hubs including at all the park and rides but I’ve not heard much about them since the announcement. Hopefully we see new ones being installed soon.

·
Registered
EV6 GT Line and e208 GT
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quite often use Askham bar park and ride near the racecourse at York.
Not sure what chargers they have but never noticed it being busy during day, odd car plugged in but certainly no queueing for whatever chargers there are.
Many thanks. Just checked them on Zap Map and there are 22kW x4 accessed via CYC App, CYC RFID card or bp pulse access card? Great option if I was staying for a few hours.

·
Registered
EV6 GT Line and e208 GT
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There’s only 2 rapids, only one of which works, and it’s on the abandoned CYC network. So unless you have a whitelisted RFID card for it you don’t have much chance of getting a charge there, in my experience.

They were supposed to be rolling out the new charging hubs including at all the park and rides but I’ve not heard much about them since the announcement. Hopefully we see new ones being installed soon.
OK....not a good option then

·
Registered
Volkwagen ID3 1st Edition
143 Posts
Pretty sure I've seen a picture showing work had started at Wetherby on a hub, it would be interesting to see how far it's got especially as it will be a perfect stop for Easter when I'm going past it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There was a thread recently about expansion at Wetherby.
Stopped there a month or so ago and there did seem to be more provision than when we used to charge the Zoe there 5 or so years ago.
Gets really busy there on a weekend.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
327 Posts
Pretty sure I've seen a picture showing work had started at Wetherby on a hub, it would be interesting to see how far it's got especially as it will be a perfect stop for Easter when I'm going past it.
Cloud Sky Plant Asphalt Road surface

Image courtesy of @dparr59 on Zap Map, taken a month ago. No more recent comments to suggest any more progress yet. It's been a little while since I've been that way now so can't personally talk about any news here either.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was at whetherby on the 6th, nothing much has changed since that picture. There looks to be a lot of large spools holding heavy duty cables, and some possible spots for chargers, but I reckon it's a way off being done.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona 2021 64kWh Premium
180 Posts
I stayed near Whetherby tail end of last year, if you find yourself running low and charging availability is priority then look at the local council chargers. They are 50kW rapids! They were free when I was there but are now about 60p per kWh… BUT it does mean that they are mostly available to use due to price.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,113 Posts
York isn't very well served. However there's a couple of instavolts at the Bilbrough Top services on the A64. I'd reckon that's a good option. Otherwise just a short trip along the A1079 to Dunnington, another Instavolt. Last I checked there were no working rapids anywhere near the city centre.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The whole N Yorks area is very poorly served. Other half's family live in that area and we have been looking around. If you are travelling via the M1 past Leeds, there is a fab Stourton Park and Ride one minute off the M1/M621 with free CCS chargers (only a free 1 hour parking limit, if you are not using the P&R). There are also a couple of CCS PodPoint chargers at a Lidl in Knaresborough (but OOS right now?).

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,143 Posts
There seem to be quite a few rapids in and near Middlesborough, several of them Instavolts that are usually reliable.
But the North York Moors look like a charging desert.
I wonder if there's a supply problem at Whitby, being out on a limb and not very industrial.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,974 Posts
Next year, Fully Charged Live will be in Harrogate.
Anyone hoping for a sudden surge in the number of local rapid chargers, as happened in Farnborough last year?

·
Registered
29 Posts
York isn't very well served. However there's a couple of instavolts at the Bilbrough Top services on the A64. I'd reckon that's a good option. Otherwise just a short trip along the A1079 to Dunnington, another Instavolt. Last I checked there were no working rapids anywhere near the city centre.
Morrisons always seems available...

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,143 Posts
My local Morrisons Geniepoint charger worked when I used it, but the only other one I've ever tried was thoroughly dead and Geniepoint don't have a great reputation.

·
Registered
115 Posts
From most EV drivers I speak to it's the amount of rapid chargers at motorway services that needs improving.

If I'm going somewhere I'd much rather stop at the services for a quick pitstop and charge, then park where is most convenient for my destination.

I don't want to compromise on anything in order to charge, if I have to do that then the car is not for for purpose.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts