Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Please forgive me if this query has been answered already. I'm totally new to EV and have our Mitsubishi Outlander being delivered in a few weeks. Unable to have a charging unit installed at home.

Am I able to buy an extension cable for home electric charging and if so, which type is best? Need 10m.

Thanks in advance.
Ross

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
There have been recommendations on this forum before. Some here will say "don't use an extension", and some EV mfts also say "don't". But others say you can, with care. You'll want one with properly waterproof socket at the end of it. In pracxtice, using an extension generally works fine providing you check the plugs & sockets don't start to overheat. I made my own up using that blue-plastic heavy cable often used, I think, for caravan hookups, and it's been fine. I'm sure a sparky will be along soon to help more competently!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andy for your advice. Much appreciated. I did see specific cables on Amazon, but they were quite pricey, around £200 for a 10m.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
614 Posts
This is a good source: Tough Leads

But the real risk is likely to be the socket you plug your portable EVSE or extension lead into. If it is old, or the wiring is old, or the cables are not connected into the socket correctly the it can easily get hot and even start a fire. Some cheap sockets even melt if they get hot.

·
Registered
890 Posts

But the real risk is likely to be the socket you plug your portable EVSE or extension lead into. If it is old, or the wiring is old, or the cables are not connected into the socket correctly the it can easily get hot and even start a fire. Some cheap sockets even melt if they get hot.
I think we are all assuming the Outlander will have a granny charger included. Is that the problem @Rossi11 is there no charger included?

You need to take a bit of care here. I think most manufacturers say don’t use an extension cable at all. The concern is that it can get quite hot with 10amp going through it over a period of hours. If you do go down this route get an EV spec cable.
FWIW I have a tough leads EV extension I’m happy with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Andy for your advice. Much appreciated. I did see specific cables on Amazon, but they were quite pricey, around £200 for a 10m

Thanks! I shall check this site. 😊
I think we are all assuming the Outlander will have a granny charger included. Is that the problem @Rossi11 is there no charger included?

You need to take a bit of care here. I think most manufacturers say don’t use an extension cable at all. The concern is that it can get quite hot with 10amp going through it over a period of hours. If you do go down this route get an EV spec cable.
FWIW I have a tough leads EV extension I’m happy with.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply and advice. It is a brand new car and does come with the granny plug. The issue I have is the car will be parked at the rear of my drive, no space as caravan in the way. Therefore, I shall need an extension lead from house to reach the granny plug. Is this correct?
Sorry for seeming a bit slow getting this.
I did check that there are plenty of charging points near my work!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I also recommend Tough Leads. For a 10m extension you only need 1.5mm2 cable and if the connection to your granny lead plug is outdoors you will need a weatherproof socket. You could buy a 2.5mm2 lead which is more robust but not needed for the current rating.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
449 Posts
I followed a recommendation I saw on here and bought this 10m 13A weatherproof cable from Wickes which seemed reasonable price:

I bought this one too, but I have to say the socket wasn't big enough for the oversized plug on my granny charger cable, and the clips on the socket were far from robust. Electrically fine, but underwhelmed with the socket. I then bought a toughleads one instead.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I bought this one too, but I have to say the socket wasn't big enough for the oversized plug on my granny charger cable, and the clips on the socket were far from robust. Electrically fine, but underwhelmed with the socket. I then bought a toughleads one instead.
I bought a toughleads one after melting one from a DIY store that in theory should have been ok.
The tough leads one has a socket that fits the larger plugs on most grannies.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I would also recommend a longer lead than at first sight so that the weather reliant components can be tucked under the car for extra protection. If it needs 10 metres to get there then consider a 15 metre cable to allow for this. The end of the extension socket and the granny 'brick' are then super protected sat on a brick underneath the car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Wickes one fitted the oversize plug on my Audi granny cable with the weather proof case locked in place ...... but I accept it might not fit all plugs.

I’ve used it for a good few hours and could not feel significant heat at any of the terminals.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
449 Posts
The Wickes one fitted the oversize plug on my Audi granny cable with the weather proof case locked in place ...... but I accept it might not fit all plugs.
Yeah it didn't fit the BMW one with the i3, but only in the sense that it was pretty much impossible to lock the cover down. It nearly made it and maybe with modification of the rubbers around the cable seal area I could have got it to work. A friend had a similar problem with one for his VW eGolf charger. Though he's still using it, just without locking the cover.

I did use it for a while though, and like you didn't have any trouble with it. I just didn't like having to hide it under something because it wasn't watertight with the cover unclipped.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Whatever you do, don't go cutting the plug off your granny EVSE if it's a bit to chunky to fit in socket, thinking you can simply replace with a standard-size tough-rubbery plug! You can't.

There will be 5 or 6 wires going into the granny EVSE plug, the extra ones connect to temperature sensors to detect overheating & shutdown the EVSE if necc. I've repaired one such chopped-EVSE, and it's slow, tedious & tricky job.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Whatever you do, don't go cutting the plug off your granny EVSE if it's a bit to chunky to fit in socket, thinking you can simply replace with a standard-size tough-rubbery plug! You can't.

There will be 5 or 6 wires going into the granny EVSE plug, the extra ones connect to temperature sensors to detect overheating & shutdown the EVSE if necc. I've repaired one such chopped-EVSE, and it's slow, tedious & tricky job.
Which is why one reason extensions are not recommended - if the thermistor in the plug detects it is too hot it will reduce the charging circuit, if you have an extension it will only protect the EVSE plug into the extension but not the extension plug into the house.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts