Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Fiat 500
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve had the car just over a month, have a tethered home charger, and top up at 50kw CCS chargers when necessary away from home. We’re still carrying the type 2 and 3 pin cables around with us, ‘just in case’, but for weight reasons and as car’s boot is tiny and I’m inclined to now leave them at home. Would be interested to hear what others do/recommend.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
468 Posts
Type 2 stays at home plugged into charge point, unless we're going on a long trip that might involve taking advantage of a destination charger. 3pin lives in the car for no logical reason. E-niro has space under boot floor so cables don't get in the way.

·
Registered
Fiat 500
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Type 2 stays at home plugged into charge point, unless we're going on a long trip that might involve taking advantage of a destination charger. 3pin lives in the car for no logical reason. E-niro has space under boot floor so cables don't get in the way.
To be far we do have a space for the 3 pin under the boot floor. If we keep any cables in the car that would be the one I would be inclined to keep for absolute emergencies but there are differing views in our household.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,487 Posts
Much will depend on the normal drive pattern. In a Fiat 500 I would suspect that the buying decision would focus on its use as a local short-range commute and shopping car. They are not exactly ideal for someone who drives hundreds of miles regularly for hours at a time. As such, it is unlikely that any cables will be needed day to day. And it would be quite rare for a car like this to be used on an extended road trip except to a known destination such as a Zoo. When it would be part of the plan to use a destination charger and just throw the T2 to T2 cable in the boot before leaving. With such a small boot I would leave all cables at home unless a known use for one was identified before setting off. These days, it would be a rare emergency where a plan A, B, and C Rapid stop failed to find a working charger.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
811 Posts
I keep the Type 2 in the boot, and often do trips where I need to use it. Or at lest trips where I'm parking for a few hours, and this will save me having to visit a rapid.

Granny lead + extension + waterproof connector + Commando socket adapter (for campsites) live in a little grab bag, which I pack if I'm visiting friends or camping.

As others say, it will depend on your usage pattern. No harm in keeping it in the boot for the first month or two, and then take it out if you're not use it.

·
Registered
Tesla M3 SR+ In a whiter shade of pale
389 Posts
We’ve had the car just over a month, have a tethered home charger, and top up at 50kw CCS chargers when necessary away from home. We’re still carrying the type 2 and 3 pin cables around with us, ‘just in case’, but for weight reasons and as car’s boot is tiny and I’m inclined to now leave them at home. Would be interested to hear what others do/recommend.
I always keep the type 2 cable in the car, it’s needed if you want to take advantage of 7kw destination chargers. (which don’t normally have a permanent cable attached to them) I only take the granny if I know there is only a 13 amp socket available close to where I might be staying long enough to need to charge and also know there is no rapid or destination nearby

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GTline CCS
860 Posts
My Zoe has the Bose box in its boot and I use the storage floor unit which makes the boot floor flat.
Under the lid I keep, T2 cable, granny cable and EV designed extension cable for the granny. Never needed the extension cable but you never know. Belt and braces type guy.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
170 Posts
Only have a Type 2, which lives in the boot of the car. I haven't yet needed to use it away from home (used rapids on the occasions where recharging was required) but in any case it's handy there for the untethered home EVSE.

·
Registered
Fiat 500
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I don’t need to worry about charging on local trips but once a week or fortnight will drive between 60 and 100 miles each way, sometimes with a bit of further driving at the destination. No option of domestic charging while I’m away. I’m currently just planning to use 50kw chargers (or 100kw chargers if I can find any) for top ups while away.

·
Registered
Renault Zoé ZE50 R135 Intens
105 Posts
Both Type2 and granny live in the trunk. It hasn't been a problem yet. There are 2-3 22kw posts around town, free, but are sockets and as a Zoe owner these things are almost as good as 50kw CCS rapids (I have CCS) but free so for me it's worth to keep around. Granny cuz paranoia and I sometimes don't know where I'm going to end up :) It lives in a nice little case, which I can cram underneath the passenger seat if I need more room in the back.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
715 Posts
Barely use the type 2 but still carry it in the boot in case an opportunistic free charge presents itself, though that is rare and I usually don't bother if only stopping somewhere for an hour as it just isn't worth the bother of trying to get most of the free 7kW posts working

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I have type 2, 13 amp granny and a 50 metre mains extension cable in the Leaf. I'd feel naked and exposed without any one of them.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I have type 2, 13 amp granny and a 50 metre mains extension cable in the Leaf. I'd feel naked and exposed without any one of them.
I'm much the same, although the extension lead I carry isn't as long, and the Type 2 lead I carry around is a 10m one, which has been really handy a couple of times when destination charge points have been blocked.

·
Registered
386 Posts
And if they do, then you shouldn't be using them, as that would be a rapid charger.
In the UK, it's rare, but not unknown for AC chargers for destination charging to have tethered Type 2 connectors, primarily those locations who have had Tesla provide a 'destination charger' for free, but there are others.
In Austria and Switzerland, it's fairly common for a location to have one tethered type 2 and one socketed type 2.

Generally, type 2 sockets are far more vandal resistant and a tidier install than a tethered type 2 cable, which is why it's the default for AC charging outside of North America.

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro (ordered) / Nissan Leaf 2021 40kwh (ordered)
221 Posts
Keep the Type 2 in the car in general, if off on holiday, the extension and the granny for overnight charging at the accommodation, unless they have a charge point on-site, or a rapid nearby

Reactions: Harry6

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,047 Posts
shopping car.
I would leave all cables at home unless a known use for one was identified before setting off.
Yeah, I agree. The place your most likely to use your type 2 is in somewhere like Tesco (other supermarkets may also apply) where you're getting a top-up whilst shopping and if you're like me, having a coffee and toasted teacake afterwards:whistle:

Apart from that I wouldn't bother carrying either cable. Especially the granny cable as there are few places out and about you can use them (and you're usually having to ask someone's permission to plug in) and the returns on time and charging don't make sense unless you are really desperate and that is unlikely to happen when your out and about locally.

Our Zoe's granny cable lived in my wardrobe for most of the time we had it. The only time it got used was by my daughter when she rented a cottage in Wales and took her own Zoe and at a friends house near Salisbury where we couldn't get his Zappi to work with the Zoe. I don't have a granny cable with the Corsa only a mega long type 2 which for convenience reasons sits in the footwell behind the passenger seat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I kept the type 2 in the frunk and the granny cable in the garage until the first time I planned to use the granny charger (staying at my mum's). Granny charger got put in the frunk after use on the trip and has yet to be removed. Mostly because I haven't had to use the space for anything else.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts