Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Which car should I buy?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mark Cornwall 
#1 ·
Hello,
I'm new here and to car ownership. I live in SE London with no off-street parking and want an Astra-sized or bigger car for short, low speed trips most days and longer trips using motorways once a month.

I want electric for environmental, especially air pollution, reasons but have no idea where to start looking. Very grateful for any pointers, thanks

#3 ·
Astra sized rules out the smaller pure electric cars like the Zoe. A Nissan Leaf might be a good fit, available from £7k used to £200 per month new, on a 2 year lease.

However, with no capability to charge from home you will have to rely on public charging, would be potentially frustrating. You should check out what charging facilities are available near where you live.

A plug-hybrid might make more sense. These can use both electricity and petrol. However the BMW i3 sounds too small. The Vauxhall Ampera is bigger, but has only 4 seats, and only available secondhand (£10k-£20k)

#5 ·
Ampera has 300l boot....I own one and still cant comprehend that fact, even when its packed to gills.
also ampera can only charge 16amps
so check if you have charging at work/destination.

#6 ·
Given that you cannot charge at home I would consider one of the Toyota hybrids. They are pretty bullet proof and available for all budgets, I for one would have one in a flash if I didn't have off road parking.
Lots of people on here do consider them as toe in the water EV's.

#7 ·
whilst the Ampera is very nice, Astra sized and would do your journies its a slow charging beast, even on a post it will only gain about 12 miles an hour and tarifs make it expensive to charge once time is involved.
Its really only suitable for charging on a drive. Very nice car though, mine is brilliant.
I'd say look at a normal hybrid given the circumstances.
The alternative is a large battery car, Tesla / 30kWh Leaf, BMW i3 Rex where a charge will last all week and you charge on a rapid or 7Kw post. then use the Rapids on the motorway. The tiny engine in the BMW may be useful in case you run out of electrons to get you to the nearest rapid.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone. I've been reading more and agree a hybrid is what I need. Is that something I can ask about here or is it too off-topic? Thanks for the Toyota suggestion, I'll take a look.

Budget: 20k
Length of longer trips: between 50 & 250 miles, usually nearer 50
Stuff: not loads but 4 people & our things. We are used to public transport so don't pack heavy.

#11 ·
Agree Auris hybrid or Prius seems to fit. Auris Hybrid seem to be a little cheaper at the same age. Just a thought but have you a Nissan dealer with a rapid charger near you as that would make a leaf still a good possibility and then just rapid charge on longer than 70-80 mile trips occasionally assuming they arent that often. Dealers seem to allow 3 charges a week apparently so 250 miles a week doable without home charging at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.