Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Which charger for both Octopus API and Solar divert (Ohme / OpenEVSE / others?)

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Oli 
#1 ·
Weighing up options for a charger and really like the Ohme for its API integration with Octopus Agile.

But what happens if i'm generating say 2kwh on my solar, can I just use that instead of drawing from the grid?

It seems like chargers fall into the "works with solar divert" or "works with Octopus API"........ not really both.

I'm also looking at OpenEVSE which suggests can do both? But seems a pricier option.

Thanks.

#2 ·
AFAIK, the Ohme cable/wallbox is the only charger that has Agile API integration; however, it is rumoured that MyEnergi is working on providing API integration to the Zappi 2. The Zappi 2 has an Eco Plus mode which allows solar charging down to 1.3kWs. I have no idea how this will work with Agile.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info....... after discussions with her indoors we've come to the decision that the Solar divert bit is far more important to us at the moment than Octopus API integration.

So I think our best bet is going to be the Zappi. Especially as we plan to add a battery too at some stage.

If Zappi add Octopus API later, then great. But at the moment I can check pricing manually and schedule based on time if we don't get enough juice from the solar.

#6 ·
@Zarch. I shall wait for your future posts on Agile with interest as I have just agreed to a 6.2kWp array and PW2. My wife and I decided that, as seniors, we have played our part in damaging the planet so it was the right thing to do (not forgetting that with interest rates so low, we are almost paying Banks to hoard our money). Having not applied for an OLEV charger grant for my present EV in our new home (the builder installed a Rolec which has it moments of charging confusion and I suspect needs a new comms module), the solar installer offered a new Zappi 2 at no extra cost. As he put it, ‘OLEV pay me £500 and the trade price of the charger is about £400; I am on site anyway; the charger cabling etc is already in situ and you are already paying me for an electrical certificate.’

My wife just sighed when I said that I will have even more graphs to look at!

#7 ·
Apologies for the thread resurrection, but has there been any progress on this? I’m about to return to the world of EVs and a lot has changed since I installed my dumb Rolec at my old house in 2016. I’d love to be able to use my solar and Agile if I possibly can. Any thoughts or recommendations (I’m not tech savi enough to create my own widget)?

#8 ·
I went for the Zappi in the end and have been really happy with it.

Both solar and agile work great and it even knows about my batteries..... but make sure you get the harvi device with all the clamps for that.

#11 ·
So Zappi have sorted their Agile integration then?
Yes, it works for me. I've had a Zappi v1 for a couple of years, and bought a Hub in December to give me this functionality. I've turned the charge timers off on my Tesla Model 3 now, leave the Zappi on Eco+ mode now and control charging via the Myenergi website. Of course Agile has been a bit on the pricey side over winter (to say the least) and I've not been charging as much as normal during lockdown; here's hoping for improved pricing during spring for me to take advantage of!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.