Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking to get a charger installed at home and was wondering what are the mainstream ones to consider out there?

It would be for my Hyundai Ioniq 2020 model but it would be nice to keep it as future proof as possible without breaking the bank.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking to get a charger installed at home and was wondering what are the mainstream ones to consider out there?

It would be for my Hyundai Ioniq 2020 model but it would be nice to keep it as future proof as possible without breaking the bank.

Many thanks.
Zappi if you have solar, Pod Point if you don't. They are generally the best two options for home charging.

Other common names like BP Chargemaster are best avoided since the company is a pain in the ass to deal with. Likewise Rolec often ends up being one of the biggest and cheapest names but tend to self-destruct after a while - Conveniently just after most people's warranty ends.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Zappi if you have solar, Pod Point if you don't. They are generally the best two options for home charging.

Other common names like BP Chargemaster are best avoided since the company is a pain in the ass to deal with. Likewise Rolec often ends up being one of the biggest and cheapest names but tend to self-destruct after a while - Conveniently just after most people's warranty ends.
Does your Ioniq 2020 allow for programming of the charge timing & remote monitoring ( to take advantage of any cheap tarriffs available now or in the future)?

What is your level of skill with IOT ?

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Project EV seems to be a fine, if not rather bulky, plug and charge kind of socket (no idea about longevity, but it has a 5 year warranty if that's anything to judge by), but trying to do anything vaguely clever with it is a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @80698 and @cdlb for suggestions.

Does your Ioniq 2020 allow for programming of the charge timing & remote monitoring ( to take advantage of any cheap tarriffs available now or in the future)?
Yes it does! The bluelink app from hyundai for this car comes with is really good.

What is your level of skill with IOT ?
Not played around with it before but I am a keen techie so always interested in this sort of stuff! What did you have in mind?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've got a 2020 Ioniq. I had an Ohme charger installed recently. I've only charged once so far and I'm on a fixed tariff at the moment so I haven't set up any timed charging but the charger seems like a decent bit of kit.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,828 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
780 Posts
Ohme is a good shout for future proofing if you ever see yourself using a variable rate tariff like Octopus Agile as it downloads the tariff rates relating to your tariff, for the following day, at 4pm automatically and then maps out the cheapest time slots to reach your target state of charge when you plug in to charge.

I have the Ohme and whilst I am currently on Octopus Go, so the cheap rate is a known fixed time period and I could achieve the same outcome with the in car charging schedule, I find the Ohme app to be intuitive and easier to work with than the car's scheduled charging setup (and more reliable) and I like the idea that I have the option of switching to Octopus Agile in the future if my charging requirements no longer fit into a 4 hour window and I reason that Agile would save me more money.

It's not the prettiest unit and the standard install requires an earth rod as there is no in built Pen protection, but it is reasonably priced and is one of the most functional units for the price point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.