Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've posted a similar question on another thread but might be more relevant in this forum.
E-Niro 4 has been ordered, now time to look into a Home Charger, does the one on offer from Kia do the Job or should I look into another brand ? Also does the Kia come with it's own charging lead

Ideally looking for one with Wifi and App usage. Also should I just buy a charger outright and get a sparky to install of go through the government scheme ?

Any feedback would be welcome.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I've posted a similar question on another thread but might be more relevant in this forum.
E-Niro 4 has been ordered, now time to look into a Home Charger, does the one on offer from Kia do the Job or should I look into another brand ? Also does the Kia come with it's own charging lead

Ideally looking for one with Wifi and App usage. Also should I just buy a charger outright and get a sparky to install of go through the government scheme ?

My view in the matter: I just plug the cable to the car and if I need to play around with the charge current, I do it from the car (three settings in Niro, three phase gives you option of 11kW, 9kW and 6kW charge current) and if I need to monitor the charging status (or stop charging) I use the UVO.

To me the most important features in my home charger are the cable holder, 11kW capability and necessary protective circuits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My view in the matter: I just plug the cable to the car and if I need to play around with the charge current, I do it from the car (three settings in Niro, three phase gives you option of 11kW, 9kW and 6kW charge current) and if I need to monitor the charging status (or stop charging) I use the UVO.

To me the most important features in my home charger are the cable holder, 11kW capability and necessary protective circuits.
Can I enquire into which Home Charger you have ?

·
Registered
959 Posts

Note that in the UK the vast majority of domestic properties don't have three phase supply so 7kW will be the upper limit.

·
Registered
Kia eNiro 4+, White
289 Posts
I have both an old chargemaster and a zappi, but can only use one at a time due to total amperage limits (and I only have one car). I kept the chargemaster as a just in case the zappi breaks
The chargemaster just works, but has no bells and whistles
The Zappi, I got without a grant as it was cheaper without, I got because I have both solar panels and I have house battery storage
I do not have 3phase

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have both an old chargemaster and a zappi, but can only use one at a time due to total amperage limits (and I only have one car). I kept the chargemaster as a just in case the zappi breaks
The chargemaster just works, but has no bells and whistles
The Zappi, I got without a grant as it was cheaper without, I got because I have both solar panels and I have house battery storage
I do not have 3phase
I've been quoted just over £1000 for a Zappi Installation, tethered or untethered (£1350 minus the Grant), which I think is a bit steep and I have no solar panels that might claw back the cost, however I've read these units are good but just a bit over the top for what I need.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have a Rolec HomeSmart with a 3-pin plug as a bonus. Cheapest of the 3 quotes I got, works with smart tariffs like Octopus Agile, and does the job well.

Biggest downside is it uses mobile data rather than WiFi and they can charge for smart features after 3 years. I doubt I'll be in this house at that point so that doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
True, however the current management can be done from the car itself.
The kW’s are of course different with one phase situation (maybe the percentages are fixed 100%, 85% and 55% of maximum).

I for one, didn’t want to have an extra app for charger. Naturally others may have valid reasons to have home charger with WiFi and app features. This was just my feedback.

mine is Garo glb.

·
Atilla
259 Posts
We have a basic Rolec from 2015, Works fine. timer control using car/app if required. All Kia Evs/Phevs supplied with the right cable plus a granny charger* (* does not charge actual grannies)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,811 Posts
The Zappi now integrates with octopus Agile, but if you don’t have solar there’s little benefit to it, and it’s expensive. I’ve ended up with a projectEV unit because it was the cheapest the company I used offered. This can work alongside solarPV, if I ever install them, and has sufficient smarts to meet the grant requirements but I intend to treat it as a dumb charger and use the car’s timer.

If you wanted agile integration get a basic charge point and an Ohme cable.

Most chargers are available with tethered cable or a socket. Which you choose is up to you. I went with untethered as neighbours small grandchildren will play with a tethered cable.

·
Registered
143 Posts

I have a "Pod-Point" Charger. This has the smart technology to meet requirements for government grant. I use the in car menu to control the charging. There is no advantage to a home 11Kw charger unless your home has a 3 Phase incoming supply. The Pod-Point app is very basic just showing the charge used and cost. Supplied with the unit is a current transformer that is connected around the incoming mains supply. This has the ability to reduce the charge current from the charger if other power hungry appliances threaten to exceed the capability of the incoming supply. You will need a cable run from your incoming supply to the charger for this. I used a standard ethernet cable with all the solid colours linked together and all the striped colours linked together to give the require 2 core cable. I went for the untethered charger as I needed the option to use a 10m charge cable. My unit is mounted inside my garage and I have used some fan ducting through the cavity wall (garage is internal to house) and an external hinged box to enable me to charge outside the garage if needed. Have been up and running for a year with no problems. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a PodPoint with the e-Niro. I found the installation process very straightforward, it took approx. 3 weeks from application to installation. Cost was £450 last November (after OLEV grant taken off). The car can manage all the scheduling through the Kia Uvo app (or in the car itself) so there is no real need for a separate charger app (as written above). If you are able to fit the charger near where the car is parked the tethered version is good as it means the cable is always there ready to use.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have a PodPoint with the e-Niro. I found the installation process very straightforward, it took approx. 3 weeks from application to installation. Cost was £450 last November (after OLEV grant taken off). The car can manage all the scheduling through the Kia Uvo app (or in the car itself) so there is no real need for a separate charger app (as written above). If you are able to fit the charger near where the car is parked the tethered version is good as it means the cable is always there ready to use.
Except the car' scheduler cannot deal with smart tariffs like Octopus Agile, it can only really work for dual-rate tariffs like Octopus Go or similar Economy 7 tariffs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My Rolec is now in its 6th year and still works just as it should, until last September used every night to charge my LEAF at 3.3 Kw and now gives 7.9 Kw to my new e-Niro 4+, solid reliable and dependable, my friend/work colleague is on his third or fourth ‘smart WiFi‘ enabled job, ( we bought our LEAFs at around the same time, think he started on a pod point but has changed brands now, he has had to have a man out on countless occasions

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.