Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some advice. I live in the north east, about 10 miles south of Middlesbrough (Post code area TS14) and need an EV charger for my Mercedes EQC. I'm confused and don't know which charge system to go for. My situation is:

1. Need a tethered charge point mounted on a post, 5 metres from the house front wall. Will require SWA running from house to charge point but consumer unit location is on outside wall in line with this
2. Would like solar PV compatibility
3. Need an installation ASAP
4. Already have an 18th edition surge protected consumer unit with spare RCBO for an EV charge feed. I have a 100amp main fuse and smart meter.

Can anyone recommend a charger system?
Can anyone recommend an installer?

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I would like some advice. I live in the north east, about 10 miles south of Middlesbrough (Post code area TS14) and need an EV charger for my Mercedes EQC. I'm confused and don't know which charge system to go for. My situation is:

1. Need a tethered charge point mounted on a post, 5 metres from the house front wall. Will require SWA running from house to charge point but consumer unit location is on outside wall in line with this
2. Would like solar PV compatibility
3. Need an installation ASAP
4. Already have an 18th edition surge protected consumer unit with spare RCBO for an EV charge feed. I have a 100amp main fuse and smart meter.

Can anyone recommend a charger system?
Can anyone recommend an installer?
Unfortunately the requirement for a post does complicate matters a little. I would get a builder in to dig a trench, lay conduit suitable for small power, SWA, data cables, install a galvanised steel post with a concrete plinth, put in a good earth and then get quotes from the usual suspects for a solar controlling EVSE

Of course your idea of urgent may not be the same an EVSE supplier and their installer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had thought the post mount may complicate things and had considered installing the SWA cable myself. Should I install a SWA cable with integrated ethernet or rely on the Wi-Fi capability of the charger unit? The charge unit site is within the Wi-Fi coverage of my house but I suspect I may get better stability with wired ethernet.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I had thought the post mount may complicate things and had considered installing the SWA cable myself. Should I install a SWA cable with integrated ethernet or rely on the Wi-Fi capability of the charger unit? The charge unit site is within the Wi-Fi coverage of my house but I suspect I may get better stability with wired ethernet.
If you are engaged with the installation yourself rather than just wanting to pay someone else, install the SWA CABLE yourself
. I would really recommend running separate small power ( eg for a light) and ethernet.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I like the Anderson A2 but is it worth the £1100 installed cost compared with rivals at half this price?
Would depend on a few things.

Can the others use solar, is the charger going to be visible and have you got a nice looking house?

I think the only other charger that can use solar is Zappi and there pretty close on price

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Would depend on a few things.

Can the others use solar, is the charger going to be visible and have you got a nice looking house?

I think the only other charger that can use solar is Zappi and there pretty close on price
All chargers can use solar. Some also use a bit of grid power too!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I’ve had good experience with my EO charger but I’ve not used it with solar. I do believe that the most recent version of the EO charger can handle the solar divert that you want.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just had a tethered Zappi fitted today by Homezap which was installed by their contractor Intelligent Electrics from Braintree. Can't fault them at all and they was the cheapest. I had 12 quotes from £849 to a crazy £1881.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts