Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m shortly going to be ordering a ZS EV.

The ZS doesn’t have much in the way of clever charging from what I can understand. Contingent on what the dealer is willing to pay for (it might be a choice of Rolec or Rolec) which model would you for?

Would you stump up (the difference) for a smarter charger if necessary?

I will make sure that all the updates are on the new car :)

Thanks

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
353 Posts
Ohme

Reactions: SkippyKitten

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
As above !.
The Rolec unit offered through MG will be a smart unit, but I think the delayed charging thing is still a problem here.
I have one of the older "Dumb" Rolec units and control the off peak charging via Wi - Fi switch inside the case and an App on my phone.
If you can stretch to the Zappi, you have what is generally classed as one of the best quality units.
Not to say that Ohme are not, but if I had to replace mine, I would go for the Zappi all day long !.
The Rolec units are less expensive, but some of the breakers etc have been known to fail.
My 5 year old unit is on it's third internal breaker now.
The first one randomly tripped as and when it felt like and the second one almost completely burnt out.
A very common problem caused by a poor quality breaker switch.
Buy cheap, buy twice !.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the Rolec. Would not recommend. Had it since December last year, and still has problems. App is very poor. As above I use a WiFi contactor and ewelink app and works fine like this.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What do you want from the charger?
I don't have high daily mileage, am on a simple flat tariff and have no desire to set timed charge sessions. Nor am I interested in gathering stats or controlling anything via an app.

So I didn't pursue the grant assisted smart charger route but paid a local sparky to install a dumb Rolec. We plug in when necessary and unplug when necessary. So far, so good.

I have enough stuff in the house that is overly complicated for the task I want it to perform. Sooner or later it always pushes up my blood pressure... 😉

·
Premium Member
11,462 Posts
I can't see any logic in paying for a charging point when MG (not the dealer) are currently offering one free if you qualify for the OLEV grant.

MG say "Rolec or Podpoint" (you won't get any other unit on deal) and both will be "smart" as that is an OLEV grant requirement. However, the PODPoint isn't actually that smart and has no scheduling capability. If you want that feature you will need to get the Rolec - hopefully it works with MG now? Bear in mind the Rolec has been updated recently, so feedback on here on older units is probably not that relevant.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
It's all about either a pragmatic cost/benefit analysis or a desire to tinker with the latest tech and pay a lot for that hobby. The difference between a Zappi and a basic non-grant aided Rolec can easily be £500. And even with a poor all day tariff that £500 would buy a minimum of 3000 kWh's of power giving at least 12000 miles of motoring from that saved cash. With a better tariff and careful driving probably 15000 miles.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can't see any logic in paying for a charging point when MG (not the dealer) are currently offering one free if you qualify for the OLEV grant.
The grant only covers a simple clean installation. Mine wouldn't have been, so there'd have been extras. I took the view that I'd pay less for the complications to a local sparky than to a government approved quasi-monopoly installer. Variations are the lifeblood of that type of work, and I didn't want the stress.

And I didn't particularly want a smart charger. After enquiring here, there seemed to be no benefit to me, just bells and whistles that i had no desire for. Not to mention the fact that at the time, people seemed to be grappling with various issues to do with the charge points in the deal.

We just wanted something we could plug the car into and it would charge. I was happy to pay to have what I wanted, installed when I wanted, by somebody who was doing what i asked.

Interestingly, when i told the sales rep that i was passing on the offer, he grinned and admitted he had too!

Did I pay more than I could have got away with? Probably. Am I happy with what I've got? Absolutely.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Andersen and it's not even close. I don't get Rolec, they look bad and aren't smart enough.
So you are happy to pay circa £1000 for a lovely box to hold some electrical components. A Rolec is functional and also comes in a nice 'Brick' colour. The components are obtainable anywhere and almost a DIY process to replace as it uses a DIN rail construction. All depends on whether an owner wants to squeeze running costs to a minimum, of course, using smart features and a lot of personal planning time. But that £1000 buys a lot of electricity by not being smart about it - just smarter.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
So you are happy to pay circa £1000 for a lovely box to hold some electrical components. A Rolec is functional and also comes in a nice 'Brick' colour. The components are obtainable anywhere and almost a DIY process to replace as it uses a DIN rail construction. All depends on whether an owner wants to squeeze running costs to a minimum, of course, using smart features and a lot of personal planning time. But that £1000 buys a lot of electricity by not being smart about it - just smarter.
A Viridian charger also uses discrete components, easily replaced, rather better quality than Rolec. It's easily tuned too if you need to adjust the output or remotely activated.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
@SkippyKitten

Firstly the charger is built into the car!!!

The box on the wall is just a connection between the house & the car:D.

They are all supposed to add ‘smart’ functionality but that is for the grid, not the user! Some add the ability to schedule timed charging, but the best one is Ohme that allows it to integrate with Octopus Agile tariff and only charge when grid is green, under a user set p/kWh, best for the battery etc. It can be used with other tariffs and other suppliers as well.

I rate the Ohme cable/wallbox very highly. I produced a video about using the Ohme cable & app.

Reactions: Carty and freddym

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
OHME genuinely support their product too. Decent datasheets properly describe the various features and safety provision.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Absolutely.

I don't know what rolecs do, poor signal, can they connect to WiFi? Constant tripping. Cable looks like a poorly stocked hose pipe

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I am aware that the charging of the batteries is controlled by the vehicle electronics. It does appear to be common to refer to the wall box as a charger, and I don’t think anyone misunderstood what I was referring to.

The offer for the Rolec is to cover a ‘standard’ install, so all being well £0. Any others will incur cost less OLEV grant.

My thinking is just get the free Rolec and if it works, great. If really useless then buy a replacement at some point which will not require as much work. Rolec is warrantied, and hopefully an electronics degree means I can guess at most problems. 🙂

·
Registered
92 Posts
Granny.

And a cheap (?was it a fiver?) mechanical timer overnight on Economy7.

If I need more than 60 miles the day after a long trip (never - so far over 7 months) I would use a standard rate juice top-up. So there may be no rush to decide.

·
Premium Member
11,462 Posts
The grant only covers a simple clean installation. Mine wouldn't have been, so there'd have been extras. I took the view that I'd pay less for the complications to a local sparky than to a government approved quasi-monopoly installer. Variations are the lifeblood of that type of work, and I didn't want the stress.
I paid my electrician to do some preparation work and rewire our first charging point to a new, dedicated EV distribution board. I then got a second Chargemaster on OLEV standard install price. It was a while ago too, so quite a bit cheaper than today. That way I got the install I wanted and still got the second grant.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts