Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from an almost complete Nissan Leaf newby - we've had it two months.
I've driven it in Drive - Eco - B and recently B & Eco together, which appeared to give the best range. We do short domestic & shopping trips and so far have managed with home charging with trips to the major fast chargers something to be experienced. Is B + Eco okay to use together?
Can anyone advise please? Many thanks.
Jack

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yes, press Eco one more time to turn it off and dont press it again until it snows and you want to limit the power going to the wheels.

Apart from the change to the guessometer it has very little real world impact on range and IMHO it ruins the feeling of the car. The main benefit it gives comes from limiting the aircon and heating which you can probably trust yourself to do on your own.

B does tend to feel better, but there also circumstances where its not beneficial, you'll develop a feel for this as you get used to the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, press Eco one more time to turn it off and dont press it again until it snows and you want to limit the power going to the wheels.

Apart from the change to the guessometer it has very little real world impact on range and IMHO it ruins the feeling of the car. The main benefit it gives comes from limiting the aircon and heating which you can probably trust yourself to do on your own.

B does tend to feel better, but there also circumstances where its not beneficial, you'll develop a feel for this as you get used to the car.
When you refer to using B you say "but there also circumstances where its not beneficial ". Could you tell me what these circumstances are, please? I just want to get to know my car a.s.a.p.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
The main difference is that if the battery is full then selecting B is pointless as any regeneration available has nowhere to go. Once the battery level is lower and has capacity to accept a charge then B will do that.

In town and country lane traffic I find that B works best for me as it allows one pedal driving and also regens a bit as long as the battery isn't totally full as mentioned above.

However, on open roads like motorways and dual carriageways with light traffic, then D is best as it allows the car to coast further when the throttle is lifted. This makes for longer range as the B mode would slow the car down as it regens but loses some efficiency as it re-charges the battery.

For what it's worth I would simply ignore Eco mode unless a glitch has left you a few miles short of range and you want to eke out every last drop of electrons. Even in town and in B selecting Eco is annoying as it only simulates driving through treacle.

·
Registered
902 Posts
B will "pull" against you to slow the car so sometimes you don't want that, if you're trying to drive at a constant 30 say, you don't want to have to hover your foot exactly on 30, you want to be able to lift it a bit. That's about it really.
I find ECO moderates my acceleration and if I drive with it off I find I can nauseate myself a bit with my driving!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I never use use Eco.
I tend to use D most of the time until I want to slow down, and then I use B.
On a motorway I use D, and then use B; this acts as a gentle brake when traffic slows.
Think of B mode like a retarder in a coach or truck. The driver uses the retarder to save excessive use of the brakes. The only difference is that when in B the Leaf slows, down BUT energy is returned to the battery.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
When you refer to using B you say "but there also circumstances where its not beneficial ". Could you tell me what these circumstances are, please? I just want to get to know my car a.s.a.p.
Say for example you are driving on a winding country road, the car slows quite strongly in B so your temptation will be to keep your foot just over or still partly on the accelerator when you should really be covering the brake through corners with limited visibility.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Say for example you are driving on a winding country road, the car slows quite strongly in B so your temptation will be to keep your foot just over or still partly on the accelerator when you should really be covering the brake through corners with limited visibility.
Can't say that I agree entirely here.

Using B pretty much simulates engine braking in an ICE car with a manual gearbox, where the driver lifts off the accelerator - frequently after changing down to be prepared to pull away after a corner, and using that engine braking to decelerate rather than the brakes which could load up the front suspension. That ICE driver would also be covering the accelerator ready to use the lower gear to pull away, after the way clear was visible.

Identical to an EV driver using the regen B mode to slow down, and then ready to pull way after the bend.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
perhaps in a V8 but B in a leaf slows the car far, far more than lifting off does in the econoboxes it should be compared with.

I've regularly driven the same routes in my leaf as opposed to a variety of different ICE vehicles of varying specs (that my wife goes though via work more often I than I change my underwear) and pedal useage is very different. I must admit to a more than a few occasions in the leaf when if I'm honest the situation would have smoother or more comfortable had I been in D with my foot over the brake.

Its also worth pointing out that the car is subject to greater (although still subtle) unintended variations in speed when in B. Regen is not 100% efficient which means that D can often lead to a greater range.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Its also worth pointing out that the car is subject to greater (although still subtle) unintended variations in speed when in B. Regen is not 100% efficient which means that D can often lead to a greater range.
There is no doubt that driving in country lanes in B requires a slightly different approach as the braking effect is more pronounced than in an ICE. But it is also more predictable as it is consistent when an ICE can vary a lot caused by different gears and speeds involved. Many drivers leave an ICE in too high a gear when negotiating a tight bend which will give hardly any engine braking. They probably remember the old pub talk about brakes being for braking and engine gears for making progress. But with a little practice using B to one pedal drive can be very rewarding.

And as you say, D can enable much more 'coasting' without loss of momentum and also avoid the inherent losses from the regen process too. But in my opinion it's marginal at best and even by almost anorak attention to switching from B to D and back again, to grab the best out of each mode, it will only make a mile range difference in a normal trip. I prefer to keep it simple and just use D on motorways and open roads, and B in all other situations.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
ditto for me too D on motorways and open roads, and B in all other situations.
in 95% of situations B is my preference too, especially in traffic.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Considering that the Leaf brake system also uses Regen (blended with friction as needed), does B-mode actually generate More Regen than braking does?
Or is it just a choice about whether you prefer to activate your Regen through the throttle or brake pedals?

I haven't actually looked at how much Regen power braking generates in D-mode, but in B-mode you can often see that "coasting" on its own generates a bit short of 30 kW. Then adding a light touch of brake pedal adds a bit more Regen power.

I will try out this theory tomorrow and report back ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
B maximises the amount of regen from lifting off, but in D you can still get the equivalent amount by pressing the brake lightly.

Press the brake until you see the green blobs surrounded by extra circles fill up on the dash. Upto the point that all of the green blobs with the extra circled have filled up your reduction in speed is mostly down to regen, after that the extra stopping power is supplied by the friction brakes.

Note in both B and in D that if your battery is full, or if its really cold, not all of those green blobs will have that extra circle around them, when that happens you'll notice the car not slowing as much from simply lifting off as the battery isnt able to accept the charge.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I drive in Eco mode as with Eco off my right foot is too heavy for comfortable driving. B mode useful for one foot driving in town or country lanes, but beware when leaving home with 100% charge as it will not apply any deceleration for that first downhill corner!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Or is it just a choice about whether you prefer to activate your Regen through the throttle or brake pedals?
That's exactly what it is. Although I'd say driving in B would tend to make you less "brake pedal happy" and that's why you get more regen.

Also note that regenerative braking in B mode does NOT light the brake lights unless you press the brake pedal.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I drive in Eco mode as with Eco off my right foot is too heavy for comfortable driving. B mode useful for one foot driving in town or country lanes, but beware when leaving home with 100% charge as it will not apply any deceleration for that first downhill corner!!
Gets me every time, we live on a hill!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Today I drove to work only in D and can confirm, once all of the Regen circles were available, that the brake pedal can indeed generate Regen up to similar levels as B-mode does I.e. About 30 kW.

So B and D is mainly a choice of pedal characteristics (and brake light activation), the actual economy achieved should be pretty much the same between them.

I find that my right foot can get stiff if driving longer distances in B as the throttle gets more sensitive. D also promotes more planned driving as there is not much throttle Regen, which is good for economy.
After all, you can never Regen all the energy back that you wasted getting up to speed, so not Regenning at all is better as long as you don't have to slow down using the mechanical function of the brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Today I drove to work only in D and can confirm, once all of the Regen circles were available, that the brake pedal can indeed generate Regen up to similar levels as B-mode does I.e. About 30 kW.

So B and D is mainly a choice of pedal characteristics (and brake light activation), the actual economy achieved should be pretty much the same between them.

I find that my right foot can get stiff if driving longer distances in B as the throttle gets more sensitive. D also promotes more planned driving as there is not much throttle Regen, which is good for economy.
After all, you can never Regen all the energy back that you wasted getting up to speed, so not Regenning at all is better as long as you don't have to slow down using the mechanical function of the brakes.
You could well be perfectly correct there. For sure your logic is sound. But as we are talking abut 50p a year in saved energy I still prefer to one pedal drive in B for almost all of my normal driving. Then leave it in D for motorway and similar traffic.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Just drive it and use what works for you...

I find ECO moderates my acceleration and if I drive with it off I find I can nauseate myself a bit with my driving!
For me this seems to work best (in D)...if I need a quick start off the line (junctions, roundabouts) I just flick Eco off...with B used to max regen for a longer slower stops on slip roads and limiting use of brakes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts