Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some excellent nuggets here including;

"in just six months, BMW is selling a greater percentage of total vehicles with plugs than any other maker except Tesla.

And if you look just at October sales, the number rockets from 2.3 percent over six months to 3.8 percent for last month alone.

BMW's average for the last three months--netting out the MINI and Rolls-Royce brands, in this case--is an even more impressive 4.9 percent--meaning 1 in every 20 BMWs sold from August through October has a plug."

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ar-makers-are-serious-u-s-sales-show-top-four

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
The sceptic in me would say they just need to compensate more for their hugely polluting models, but, hats off to BMW for actually doing something ! ;)
Yes they do, but they've also been dead serious about electric (and hydrogen) for years. The MINI E and ActiveE experiments certainly seem to be paying dividends now.

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
Really? I've never met anyone who owned a mitsubishi before, I've got three people in my office who've bought the Outlander PHEV......!

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Really? I've never met anyone who owned a mitsubishi before, I've got three people in my office who've bought the Outlander PHEV......!
@Edd Beesley dont forget it's a U.S. report where the Outlander isn't sold.

What I think is encouraging is that BMW are taking this seriously now and seem to understand the range issue very well (even if they solve it with hybrid technology). We really need a mainstream PHEV/BEV champion to ensure the EV project continues should Tesla fail... personally I'm very happy if that's BMW :)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Very good point. On the issue of whether EVs will take off, I asked the Head guy for Tesla UK at the Birmingham store launch last nights whether they were speaking to OLEV and whether he felt there was genuine desire for change, We don't want a rerun of the 'death of the electric car' that happened in California. The only other manufacturer I feel is 'genuinely' interested in EVs is Nissan....down to Carlos' passion.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I am not sure you can totally write off Renault , with the largest EV range (including the only practical mass market van before the env200), the longest mass market range, and 3 times nissans sales in europe's largest ev market.. (even if they do sometimes look like they don't want to sell 'em :()
Very good point. On the issue of whether EVs will take off, I asked the Head guy for Tesla UK at the Birmingham store launch last nights whether they were speaking to OLEV and whether he felt there was genuine desire for change, We don't want a rerun of the 'death of the electric car' that happened in California. The only other manufacturer I feel is 'genuinely' interested in EVs is Nissan....down to Carlos' passion.

·
Registered
253 Posts
some excellent nuggets here including;

"in just six months, BMW is selling a greater percentage of total vehicles with plugs than any other maker except Tesla.

And if you look just at October sales, the number rockets from 2.3 percent over six months to 3.8 percent for last month alone.

BMW's average for the last three months--netting out the MINI and Rolls-Royce brands, in this case--is an even more impressive 4.9 percent--meaning 1 in every 20 BMWs sold from August through October has a plug."

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ar-makers-are-serious-u-s-sales-show-top-four
More to do with market segments and volume of sales I'd say. You don't see many BMWs OTR price at £15k and under compared to competitors...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
BMW has a higher percentage than nissan but nissan sells more eletric cars overall but less as a percentage.
Yes - almost 6x more. Here are the actual numbers from the article (just US sales).
  • Tesla: 100 percent
  • BMW: 2.3 percent (4,534 of 201,000)
  • Nissan: 2.1 percent (24,411 of 1.17 million)
  • Ford: 0.9 percent (18,859 of 2.07 million)
  • GM: 0.7 percent (17,969 of 2.43 million)
  • Toyota: 0.6 percent (12,321 of 1.98 million)
Cetainly wouldn't conclude that BMW is doing more than the other for EVs. By value it's percentage is probably less than Nissan.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Also companies aren't making electric cars because they care. If they did they would stop making their ICE wouldn't they. There is a market there and they want a piece. Money is what its all about.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Read that if there's a change of admin in California at the next election that restrictions will be reduced. Hopefully now the sea change has started and there is competition amongst manufacturers there won't be another EV1-gate.

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
It would be nice for Ford to bring the plugin Mondeo to Europe, it should only be about £22k after government grant, bigger and more recognised than the Ampera, but only about 20 miles EV range. Still, at 5% BIK it would be very popular with fleet buyers who don't quite get into the i3 or Outlander price brackets.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I applaud BMW as I do all EV manufacturers for their efforts and vision in producing low-emission electric vehicles. However, I strongly doubt that any of these would be happening today if government legislation were not mandating it. Furthermore, I believe that if the government mandates were to cease then we'd also see the manufacturers cease their noble efforts. In a free-market / capitalist economy there is only a market incentive to protect the environment when government regulations impose it. Otherwise, industry will do what is most-profitable - and right now that is ICE-only vehicles because consumers will tend to operate based on a cost basis - and despite all that you save in petrol EVs are *still* more-expensive than ICE-only vehicles in any way you want to look at it.

My point is this: applaud the manufacturers for their compliance and vision in developing a good product. However, do not confuse their innovation and marketing as being the driving force behind the production of low-emissions vehicles. That is thanks to government regulation protecting the environment. So, let us also applaud California and the EU governments for having the fortitude to "incentivize" such good behaviour by manufacturers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts