Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a home charging point installed, to be honest, I'd rarely use it as I am on Evezy with free Polar site charging, and I tend to Rapid charge as/when I'm near a rapid charger, but the convenience of a home unit for occasional use would be an advantage.

Now I'm faced with a dilemma;

Do I go for Ecotricity (slightly more than I pay now) to get 50% off my occasional usage of charging on the motorway / at Ikea which I've used twice since collecting my car last month

or

Go for Octapus (which I'd have to wait for a smart meter to be installed) which I'd probably make use from the night charging rate, but whatever an i3 120ah gets in the 4 hours at 5p/kwh and I'd obviously be paying for something I'd get free most of the time

or

Stick with Bulb at the cheapest rate, but pay 30p/kWh at EH Chargers

What do you guys do? Any advice appreciated.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
You need to do the numbers. Estimate your likely EV and domestic use and cost them against the various tariff options.
Other people's use is unlikely to match yours, so their numbers won't either.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, I'm just struggling to work out what it would cost either way, I'll have to work it out, but things like Economy 7 is obviously very hard to work out when coming from a standard meter

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,016 Posts
Cheapest home rate. It is a no brainer if you have Polar charging given.

Is that included in evezy subscriptions now, then? Gee, I am behind the times here....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheapest home rate. It is a no brainer if you have Polar charging given.

Is that included in evezy subscriptions now, then? Gee, I am behind the times here....
Yeah, I think I answered my own question, all polar chargers are inclusive but I occasionally use Ecotricity for convenience

·
Registered
291 Posts
Remember that in order to do a valid comparison you need three costs: -

1) Daily standing charge
2) Cost per unit (day rate)
3) Cost per unit (night rate - if Economy 7)

When you do a comparison using the above, in my experience, you may find very little difference. One supplier may have a cheaper night rate, or a cheaper day rate but usually never both. Furthermore, if the unit cost is cheaper then the daily standing charge is always considerably more.
Consider; if one supplier was that much cheaper there would be a rush to change.
You may find it cost effective to stick with your current supplier, but change tariff; that is what I did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve just gone on to Octopus Go which has a 5 pence 4 hour nightime rate and a cheap daytime rate!
Also £50 credit if you have a referral code(which I can give you)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at that, but I'd need to wait for a smart meter to be installed and everything else.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EDF say they can't give me the EV tariff because the smart meter wouldn't have a signal 🤔🤣

I have no signal issues at home and use a 4G router for the home internet ( no landline )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Personally the environmental points of an electric vehicle are put to shame by EDF's nuclear power projects. But that's another thread.

I have been with Pure planet for 6 months, they have been great (and cheap).

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
EDF say they can't give me the EV tariff because the smart meter wouldn't have a signal 🤔🤣

I have no signal issues at home and use a 4G router for the home internet.
I assume that you live in the North. There are ongoing communications problems with SMETS2 meter installations in the Northern Sector that is affecting all suppliers.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
When you do a comparison using the above, in my experience, you may find very little difference. One supplier may have a cheaper night rate, or a cheaper day rate but usually never both. Furthermore, if the unit cost is cheaper then the daily standing charge is always considerably more.
Consider; if one supplier was that much cheaper there would be a rush to change.
You may find it cost effective to stick with your current supplier, but change tariff; that is what I did.
Consumption plays a big role.
High consumers can be better off on a tariff with a higher standing rate, but lower unit costs.
Similarly low consumers can be better off the other way round.

The crucial thing is to actually use your own personal usage figures, and do the calculations. Never use an estimate.

Obviously you cant tell your day/night split to decide on E7 or not without some more data, but most houses use a fairly constant night time consumption and you can get a reasonable idea by just reading the meter before bed and first thing in the morning over a few days. Some additional savings can come from running things like the dishwasher and washing machine over night too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I assume that you live in the North. There are ongoing communications problems with SMETS2 meter installations in the Northern Sector that is affecting all suppliers.
Sheffield area, less than 2 miles from the M1 with perfect 4G coverage on EE, Vodafone and Three (Not tested O2)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
Kev86
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing