Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are out of electric contract and ready to switch.

There must be an army of owners that have already done the research. My research is indicating Octopus Go. Is there any better?
I have scanned the headings but can't see this subject.

Thanks
Steve
Tesla Model 3 white/white SR+ aero wheels

·
Registered
9 Posts
Within the last hour, I have received an email from EDF Energy telling me of a tarriff with a kWh cost of 11.54p
I'm with BG at present, and they charge 17.553p.
Guess what I shall be doing.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I'm with octopus Go, or will be, but would have looked at the EDF EV tariff if I could have got on it. You either need the right smart meter or no smart meter and they will fit one. I have the wrong smart meter so octopus were the next best.
EDF off peak tariff is about 8p but is much longer than usual and all weekend.

A few referrals helps keep the cost down with octopus and their Agile tariff looks a good average cost if you can keep the high peak rate usage low.

·
Registered
994 Posts
That is something you have to start doing frequently.
Personally, I never sign up for contracts as you will be stuck for a long time.
Currently I'm with Pure Planet and they have been consistently the cheapest in the market.
It is an exercise I do on a monthly basis, going online and compare rates.
You will be looking for cost of unit £/kw + standing charge.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Much depends on how much off-peak charging you need. Octopus Go is 4 hours (00.30 to 04.30) which suits me and at 5p per off-peak unit it’s dirt cheap but if you have a large battery that may not be enough time to recharge overnight. You also need to look at your daytime consumption and do the maths - standing charge and unit price.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Within the last hour, I have received an email from EDF Energy telling me of a tarriff with a kWh cost of 11.54p
I'm with BG at present, and they charge 17.553p.
Guess what I shall be doing.
Hi Harpo, what is the tariff title, and daily standing charge?
I haven't found it yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's called 'GoElectric Jan21 single rate'.
It is for those of us that have a SMETS1 smart meter (oh the irony).
Standing charge is 27.13ppd.
They say that it is in 'extremely high demand', which of course is corporate speak for understaffed!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's called 'GoElectric Jan21 single rate'.
It is for those of us that have a SMETS1 smart meter (oh the irony).
Standing charge is 27.13ppd.
They say that it is in 'extremely high demand', which of course is corporate speak for understaffed!
I have allowed 2700 Kwh per year for about 8000 miles = 337 wh/mile
My existing bills suggest a normal usage of 4500 Kwh per year
EDF (11.54 x 4500) + (11.54 x 2700) + (27.13 x 365) = £929.90
Octopus (13.80 x 4500) + (5.00 x 2700) + (25.00 x 365) = £847.25

I think Octopus still win, unless my arithmatic is all up the Swanee.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I have allowed 2700 Kwh per year for about 8000 miles = 337 wh/mile
My existing bills suggest a normal usage of 4500 Kwh per year
EDF (11.54 x 4500) + (11.54 x 2700) + (27.13 x 365) = £929.90
Octopus (13.80 x 4500) + (5.00 x 2700) + (25.00 x 365) = £847.25

I think Octopus still win, unless my arithmatic is all up the Swanee.
Same for me, Go is cheaper than the EDF flat rate tariff but if you can get on their two tier tariff it might work out cheaper as it is 8pish all weekend and I think it's 10pm to 7 or 8 am. Daytime rate is quite a bit higher though but I can't remember how much higher. There is a thread about it on speakev.
If Go works for you don't forget to use someone's referral code to get the £50 credit on your account. You also have to allow for the time it takes to get a smart meter fitted. Until its fitted you will be paying more than the Go daytime rate for all your electricity.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Company
Tariff Name
Peak Rate 4500 Hours Per Year
EV Rate 2700 Kwh Per Year
Standing Charge Per Day
Annual Cost
EDFGoElectric17.188.0028.80£1094.22
OctopusGo13.805.0025.00£847.25
EDFGoElectric Jan 2111.5411.5427.13£929.90

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Same for me, Go is cheaper than the EDF flat rate tariff but if you can get on their two tier tariff it might work out cheaper as it is 8pish all weekend and I think it's 10pm to 7 or 8 am. Daytime rate is quite a bit higher though but I can't remember how much higher. There is a thread about it on speakev.
If Go works for you don't forget to use someone's referral code to get the £50 credit on your account. You also have to allow for the time it takes to get a smart meter fitted. Until its fitted you will be paying more than the Go daytime rate for all your electricity.
I'll use your link to Octopus but it does not seem to point to their Go tariff, investigating.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I'll use your link to Octopus but it does not seem to point to their Go tariff, investigating.
You have to sign up to a standard tariff until you have a smart meter. Once that is fitted and they are getting the readings from it you switch to Go. That's what I was meaning when I said you need to allow for paying full rate until you have a smart meter fitted. I'm currently paying 15.3p a unit for all electricity, Eastern region.

Have you read the thread about Octopus Go? Some people have been waiting quite a while for their smart meters to be fitted, industry wide issues.
It might be worth waiting until the meters are being fitted quicker, unless you are paying more than 15p already.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,468 Posts
Use his link, then navigate to octopus.energy/go (as per my sig). Then you can sign up with them knowing you want to be on GO.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is that a smart meter installed by octopus
You have to sign up to a standard tariff until you have a smart meter. Once that is fitted and they are getting the readings from it you switch to Go. That's what I was meaning when I said you need to allow for paying full rate until you have a smart meter fitted. I'm currently paying 15.3p a unit for all electricity, Eastern region.

Have you read the thread about Octopus Go? Some people have been waiting quite a while for their smart meters to be fitted, industry wide issues.
It might be worth waiting until the meters are being fitted quicker, unless you are paying more than 15p already.
Hello Jonathan, I have used your link for the Go tariff. Let's hope the meter doesn't take too long, but for sunny mornings I have 4Kw of solar panels.

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Hello Jonathan, I have used your link for the Go tariff. Let's hope the meter doesn't take too long, but for sunny mornings I have 4Kw of solar panels.

Thanks Steve
Thanks, I already had a smart meter so only waiting for them to gain access to the readings.

James, you should contact them. I've been emailing to ask why they can't read my meter and it's only been 3 weeks when they told me less than 2. I complained as it is costing me three times as much to charge our cars. They are looking into it and mentioned compensation.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, I already had a smart meter so only waiting for them to gain access to the readings.

James, you should contact them. I've been emailing to ask why they can't read my meter and it's only been 3 weeks when they told me less than 2. I complained as it is costing me three times as much to charge our cars. They are looking into it and mentioned compensation.
Ooh! solar charging & free money whoopee.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts