Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about out of my lock in with SSE. The question is who do I choose next?

Currently I'm thinking between Ecotricity and Good Energy.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I recently changed from npower to ecotricity. There are cheaper providers but I am interested in what they are doing

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
It's worth looking at the Ecotricity 'Green Electricity plus car' tariff, which includes an allowance of free electricity for 1000 miles. Also, theres a possibility that their customers may get better terms for their Electric Highway charging network when Ecotricity end free charging in 2015. Thirdly, their price per kWh is currently lower than Good Energy's.

·
BMW i3 Rex
241 Posts
[QUOTE="Robwiz, post: 34679, member: 515"their price per kWh is currently lower than Good Energy's.[/QUOTE]

Here it's the other way round. I guess it depends where you are. But the difference is very small.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
My take on it is, if you are or want to support people running micro generation, then use good energy. If you want more commercial sized renewable generation installed, used ecotricity. Both worth supporting!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Ecotricity for when the rapid billing is tagged on your bill..
That'll take a change in the law. Ofgem are unlikely to approve charges being shown on a bill, other than those directly relating to the supply of Elec/Gas via a registered metering point directly to the end user, at a time when the market is under so much scrutiny. Simpler, clearer, fairer bills (both the amounts and the actual paperwork itself) is a stated goal that has yet to be reached in their view.

In terms of existing secondary legislation, electricity coming via a public charge point registered to someone else is *re*sold. Falls into the same category as boiler insurance/servicing or any other service provided by the same brand that does your juice.

Given that current state of trust in the market, it's hard to argue against Ofgem's position, for my part.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, as it appears Charge Point Services run the Electric Highway on behalf of Ecotricity, it will be a separate bill from a different location! ... But I take the point that their customers may get better rates. We will see.

@Flaninacupboard - why do you say that? Whats the difference between them on microgeneration front. (I have 2 PV installs registered with SSE currently and may do a third)

For info Ecotricity was £50 or so cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
I think good energy offer a better price for buying back the power you generate (could be wrong on that, it was a few years ago I was choosing my provider)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Last time I did a comparison of @Ecotricity to the current M&S Energy Online Sept 2014 tariff; @Ecotricity were £463 more expensive per year, even on the EV tariff. But I really want to switch to them for their non-fracking stance and the immense EV support. Not to mention 100% Renewable Energy sourced electricity.

Will do the sums again in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Just been looking myself and have come down to Ecotricity for all the above reasons. But shan't lock in for long in case they go all chargemaster on us ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The scores so far...

This is based on my last year to April. 3100kWh electric, 13500kWh gas.

provider : electric : gas : total

Ecotricity : £550 : £603 : £1153
Good energy : £604 : £565 : £1170

And for comparison @Grant Thomas

M&S fixed 1yr : £472 : £654 : £1125
M&S std : £471 : £695 : £1185

So not a lot in it...

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Check out EBICO - the fairest, simplest, tariff rating in the UK.. - one fixed rate per kWh no standing charges.
I think you'll win on the electric prices but maybe not on the gas...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interestingly I found this on the Good Energy site.

It's the first time I have seen numbers against the regional variation.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts