Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SEAT Mii arriving in Autumn.

Which charger do folk recommend
and what should I be paying for charger and installation after grant reduction?

Zappi quoted for £710 or
Pod Point at £565
both 7kw tethered.

Thoughts,
Thanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Zappi if you have/are thinking of solar, or have/are thinking of a flexible electric rate like octopus agile - I don’t think the Pod point supports that kind of variable charging timer (you can set a simple ‘start charging at’ on both though)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

Zappi quoted for £710 or
Pod Point at £565
both 7kw tethered.

Thoughts,
Thanks.
I wouldn’t bother with the Zappi unless you have solar or will get solar. The main benefit of the zappi is being able to charge at a variable rate depending on how much your solar panels are outputting or not, and then top up from grid only when necessary.

For the rest its really worth getting 7kW charger over a 3.5kW one for speed of charging. There are lots of suppliers, you might want to check things like how far your charger is from the levy meter, and if the supplier will charge extra if it’s further than X meters. Also maybe look at wait times, they get busy you may have a longer / shorter wait with different suppliers.

I have a Pod-Point. Happy with it but don’t be fooled by the description of smart charger, most are really fairly dumb, and they don’t really need to be particularly smart.

·
Registered
372 Posts
smart lets you manage solar, but also lets you have more granular scheduling. Your car might let you schedule charging so you don’t need it, but if you want the option to move to electricity tariffs with variable pricing in the future the £150 difference may be well worth it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
smart lets you manage solar, but also lets you have more granular scheduling. Your car might let you schedule charging so you don’t need it, but if you want the option to move to electricity tariffs with variable pricing in the future the £150 difference may be well worth it.
Yes that’s useful but as far as I’m aware the zappi is the only charger that has those abilities in any sensible implementation...

I guess what I was trying to say ineloquently was... Most other chargers are also described as “smart” but most aren’t particularly smart. The zappi is an exception, the Ohme smart cables are also quite smart... Still I haven’t found the need to have a smart charger, the car starts and stops charges from a time setting or can be started from the app. Without solar there’s not so much to be won here.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,222 Posts
I like my Lefanev which has a display showing mains voltage, charging current (an how it drops when the SOC exceeds 95%) and the kWh delivered when charging stops.

You electrician should be able to install it if you don't bother with the grant, so the cost maybe less and the job completed more quickly.

This is an identical item rebranded:

Several others on Amazon too.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Zappi quoted for £710 or
Pod Point at £565
both 7kw tethered.

Thoughts,
Thanks.
Try the new Hypervolt see speak E/V member Artisan Electrics video. companys quoting about £600 with grant,,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts