Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not kept up to date with all the new EVs. When I got mine a few years ago, the only choice really was a Zoe or a Leaf. I'm going to get something newer over the summer. Pretty much, this is what I'd like:

Supermini or City Car sized.
Can charge as quickly as possible from whatever AC or DC charger is nearby
200+ mile real world range
available with a big discount through carwow or similar.

What would you recommend?

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Based on my wife's experience with the Zoe she bought a few weeks ago, then I'd highly recommend one. Over 200 miles range and a build quality that is surprisingly good. Quieter and more solid feeling than my old Tesla Model 3. I drove about 40 miles in it last week. Ride quality is excellent, again better than my old Tesla on some of the pretty bad lanes around here. Hard to fault it really, and that's coming from someone that now drives an I-Pace HSE.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
361 Posts
Kia Soul EV can be had for just under £30k through carwow, although by using Kia PCP (£1000 of the discount is deposit contribution) which you can just pay off straight away.

Zoe is good but slow on DC and no adaptive cruise (which I'd want in a car that do 200+ miles in one hit).

ID.3 has lots of discounting, decent spec and quick charging but is a little bigger.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,949 Posts
If a lower range had been acceptable, then there is the Honda E and Mini E. Both have around 140mile range and fast charging.
The Leaf 2 is not a supermini, being family hatchback size.

·
Registered
402 Posts
e-niro 2 64kwh? 282 miles WLTP and they’ll get 200 all day long, £32485 as they’ve priced it to qualify for the grant.

kona electric 64kwh premium 300miles WLTP

skoda enyaq iv 60 Nav - £31995 245 miles WLTP but more likely to be closer to 200 in real world

VW ID3 life 58kwh £30920 263 miles WLTP

renault Zoe 50 - £30k for the rapid charge version, but £3k off at the moment so £27k. 245 miles WLTP

Reactions: Smart51

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,349 Posts
In principle, I am not sure thread's like these are helpful. It isn't that difficult to do your own research on cost, range and acceleration etc and the arrange some test drives, draw up a short list, get some concrete pricing from dealers or Internet and then check with your wife.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In principle, I am not sure thread's like these are helpful. It isn't that difficult to do your own research on cost, range and acceleration etc and the arrange some test drives, draw up a short list, get some concrete pricing from dealers or Internet and then check with your wife.
OK. Don't participate then. Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My vote goes to the Kia Soul first edition. High spec, long range fast charging, 7 year warranty and qualifies for PICG. List price was about £37K a few weeks ago. Now about £30 - 32K. What’s not to like. I took my own advice and bought one.

E-Niro 2 also available with PICG but lower spec and looks a bit dated and boring looking according to my design assessor. They are the same under the skin.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Life Pro Performance
169 Posts
@Smart51 ive just bought an ID3 life pro performance alloys and other goodies for £27,500 very decent dealer discounts if taking finance, try carwow or similar, but I actually got a better deal than carwow at my local dealer as they basically had the car in stock. Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,349 Posts
OK. Don't participate then. Thanks.
I won't, but we see so many ill thought out requests for advice that are unlikely to provide unbiased information. Most people, myself included, just say the best choice is the car they have.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I won't, but we see so many ill thought out requests for advice that are unlikely to provide unbiased information. Most people, myself included, just say the best choice is the car they have.
Very true, but the fact I chose a car is a vote with my own money. That said, the car that is right for my requirements and budget may be totally unsuitable for someone else. Everyone needs to do their research and make there own decision.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Supermini or City Car sized.
Zoe to this question.

Can charge as quickly as possible from whatever AC or DC charger is nearby
Not sure what charges fast in the segment you've asked for, sorry.

200+ mile real world range
All year round, assuming at city speeds given the first question, the answer is a Zoe.

available with a big discount through carwow or similar.
Buy a pre-reg Zoe.

What would you recommend?
A Tesla Model 3, for the lowest cost of ownership, best charging speeds, but missing the range on an SR+, not that it matters when you have a charging network like the big T. Doesn't fit in with the size car you want, and you can't get a discount, hence why they hold their value so well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts