Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
MY15 Q210 and an MY18 R110
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, that is a very open question, I will add some qualifiers.
I am on my second Zoe (22kwh) and will happily sing it's praises but probably not the sort of thing my pa would like to drive.
He is now in his mid 70's and currently drives an old P reg diesel Toyota Carina ! It's not that he can't afford a new car just he is to stubborn and tight to buy a replacement.....until now.
His car has now become "a bit jerky" and is so old it doesn't even have an obd2 port to figure out what might be up with it

As he has retired there is no need to worry abut the commute but he is still plenty active and sticking a large amount of stuff in the boot is fairly common. My mother has another car so even really long trips don't really need to figure in to the equation.

I'm thinking of pushing him to have a test drive of the MG5 as that is about as close as I can think of to what he has without going for silly money.

In the classifieds there is a very nice Ampera that would probably suit him as well, but it's hard to test drive anything like that though and still have plenty of time to think about it.
I do wonder if a model S would float his boat. I think it would just be a bit too big.

I don't want him spending all of my inheritance :) but wonder if anyone else managed to persuade an older relative to go EV?

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Ampera's a great car, but you do sit very low. Is that mine in the classifieds you saw? I'm 68, but stll very slim & flexible, 6' tall, 11 stone, so have no problems getting in & out. Wouldn't recommend if you have back trouble/arthritis/overweight etc.

Main issue with these is they're now out of the 8-year warranty on the High Voltage stuff, so you do need to have say £1500 stashed away just in case. And with Amperas you need a dealer who can cope competently with those issues, if they happen. Which is why I've been using Bellingers in Wantage, even though they're 45 miles away!

I've replaced it with Ioniq 38, very similar in many ways, easier to get into though! 2nd hand these are a great car I think, loving mine, though the early-build ones are now going into a battery-recall/replace process. Ones built mid-2020 on should be fine, details in Hyundai threads if interested. 5 yr wty is nice on the usual car parts, 8 on the battery stuff I think.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
834 Posts
Maybe an eniro? Good boot space, higher so easier to get into and 7 year warranty

Reactions: HandyAndy

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Big qn though, what's his budget? If he's not super-keen to swap cars, he may not be super keen to splash out 15-20k on a decent BEV! In which case, Ampera from around 7.5k is a cracking alternative, as it's pure BEV inside its 45 mile summer range.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,881 Posts
He's a classic miser like my Dad by the sound of it. It will be a tough job to get him in any EV. I think he'd be happier with a £10k nearly new ICE car rather than a £20-£30k EV unfortunately. Mine loves carting crap around in the boot as well. :rolleyes:

Top and bottom of it the extra purchase costs of EVs means you don't get the fuel money back unless you're doing silly miles a year.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,093 Posts
if anyone else managed to persuade an older relative to go EV?
I’ve tried, but so far failed - concerned about range & charging (despite us going to visit them from 150 miles away at least once a month for 2 years in an i3…) and also just basically prefers to have an older, less valuable car where it doesn’t matter so much if they ding it or make a mess in the boot etc.

So for people like this it’s probably going to be a while longer, as it will need longer range EVs to be down to the <£5-8k mark, and for public charging to be essentially as easy and reliable as it is currently for petrol/diesel now - which, if we are all honest, it just isn’t,

·
Registered
355 Posts
My Dads 82, just got rid of his 25 year old Landrover and bought a new Polo R line.

He’s driven my ID3 and loves it, he’s threatening to buy one. My only concern is the speed, the Landrover got to 60 in about 2 minutes, whereas the ID3 takes less than 8 seconds.

My poor Mum doesn’t want him to get one, she says he’s too old to be racing around. My Dads just smiles, but keeps sneaking off in mine - says he likes the Head up Display and CarPlay.

I don’t know what to think, so I’m staying out of it.

·
Registered
MY15 Q210 and an MY18 R110
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot to mention budget.
He isn't short of a few bob or two but I'd think trying to get him to part with 50k for a car would be like trying to get blood from a stone. He isn't adverse to that sort of thing though, not exactly a tight arse more just careful. Many many years ago I came home from school to find two brand new cars side by side on the drive with sequential plates. They weren't good car at all and British Leylend can take all of that blame but he did throw some money at it back in the day.

Ha, manage to completely forget about the eniro. Not sure if the SUV style will fit with him but as my parents are coming over this afternoon I will start to drag out more info, but I like it so that is on the list.
Id rather push him towards the full EV than a hybrid as I took the eniro hybrid for a test drive a while back and did not like that all. Only a single point of reference though.

He will want something that now "see's him out" as he has mentioned a few times. Probably more like just needs to be the last car he owns before we take his licence off of him. Not looking forward to that conversation in the future.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Id go with your MG5 suggestion as well, its a lot of car for the money and pushes over the 200 mile range which I think for many is a mental hurdle around range anxiety - seem to be some good pre-owned prices around as well

·
Registered
419 Posts
I’ve had a LEAF for nearly 7 years, and my dad (67) has been showing more and more interest in EV’s of late…. we had a few chats about Tesla’s over the lockdowns but he always said he liked the look of the BMW iX more, but it was even more pricey. Anyway, he called me up last week and said he's sold his bmw 2 series diesel, no longer has a car, and is waiting on the delivery of a Tesla 3LR!! Think his recent inheritance helped matters, but now I can’t wait for lockdown rules to mean I can go stay over and visit it, err… I mean him!

·
Registered
136 Posts
My dad is 84 and in late 2018 I, and my mum, persuaded him to buy a Zoe ZE40 R110 new from our local Renault dealer. He loved it and earlier this year, after taking a ride in my Zoe ZE50 R135, traded it in for a ZE50 R110 for the extra range and nicer interior.
A few months after my dad bought his first Zoe, I noticed a pre reg one at the dealer and told my uncle (75), he went and had a look and bought it the following day.
I know it's not as big as the Carina but the boot isn't a bad size and if there's only two of them and he wants to cart a lot of gear about he could fold the rear seats down.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
198 Posts
Well I'm fast approaching 77 and recently made the swap to a BEV, I also considered the range issue and was thinking PHEV, but when I started researching it the BEV made more sense as I suspect I shall only need to charge at home for virtually all my journeys and the increasing prevalence of chargers made any longer journey not the problem that I previously envisaged. I still struggle with smartphones though !

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
He is now in his mid 70's and currently drives an old P reg diesel Toyota Carina
I had a petrol Carina II for 15 years/250,000 miles. New to scrap (rust in rear arches) but never needed an oil top up between services.

The big unknown you've left out is his annual mileage. As @srichards says, if he's low mileage then the cost AND carbon impact are likely to be worse with a BEV.
Which is partly why I (at about 70yo) have gone back to ...
If your Dad likes Toyota's then perhaps one of those new self-charging ones....
At a couple of thousand miles a year my fuel burn is not big.
And they are actually seriously good cars (SWMBO actually likes it ... and that is a first after being together 40 years).

Getting an EV is not necessarily the best thing for the planet/environment or your wallet at present. Don't get him in an EV just because it seems a good thing to do. Work the numbers ... always look at the numbers.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
469 Posts
Well I am 73 coming on 74 and have mobility issues but drive an MG ZS EV. I love it for the ease of driving and the reversing camera. I too am tight with money (the kids will get a fortune) so couldn't bring myself to buy the Kona which we tried at the same time 20 months ago. Not that I couldn't afford it just couldn't see where the extra value was in it apart from the range. The only downside to the MG is the silly lift up charging port, I can't think of anything else that bugs me. It is quiet and a great drive on motorways. Mine is the Exclusive and I love the radio, great sound quality and it pulls in many DAB stations my indoor portable doesn't. The interior may not be quite the standard of my Passat which has the full leather etc. but it actually doesn't bother me and funnily an Audi driver looked into it one day to say his wife wanted an SUV style car and said he liked the interior and the leather... I didn't disabuse him 😃. Its a great car and sounds like it fits with his spending wishes. More than that the rear seat is good for larger people, I have 2 friends over 6 ft tall and don't think that it will be a squash.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,167 Posts
Nissan Leaf for sure. Its the Ford Focus of EVs. Big enough, fast enough, efficient enough, has enough gizmos without a stupid big screen (that I think Dad wouldn't like), and it's very comfortable and not outragiosly expensive. Front wheel drive helps.
There are other EVs that will do some of those things better or cheaper but it will be hard to find one that is better than the Leaf in all respects. Getting a test drive usually convinces people of the advantages of EVs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts