Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm bored of the Zoe I need to find an EV with CCS charging. I'm also bugged by daft things so any replacement needs to have the following abilities:

Bluetooth audio automatically restarts when you start the car so you don't have to mess about with your phone or press buttons. Zoe now does this. I don't use Apple car play. Basic Bluetooth is fine. Kia Soul didn't do this and it annoyed me intensely.

Heater or cooling can be used while charging without having to do anything much. Zoe doesn't do this.

Pre condition needs to work from an app and when car is unplugged. Zoe does this.

Does the hyundai kona do all of the above as it's the most likely replacement choice?

What other EVs are there that do all of the above?

New Zoe is a no and so is the MG. What others are a definite no?

·
1,518 Posts
The Tesla Model 3 does all the things you mention... under the current firmware and I’m assuming you’re not in North America where the car is CCS2

not sure about the Kona.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Bluetooth audio automatically restarts when you start the car so you don't have to mess about with your phone or press buttons.
Pretty sure Kona does this.
Heater or cooling can be used while charging without having to do anything much. Zoe doesn't do this.
There is a preconditioning-while-charging function on the Kona,, don't recall if it is just for battery, or interior as well.
Pre condition needs to work from an app and when car is unplugged. Zoe does this.
Not on the 2019 Kona, as there is no app, but the 2020 has one, not sure if the functionality has been published yet,

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using heating while charging needs to work from inside the car and not keep turning off ie it behaves like it's fully powered up.

You can use the app or pre heat button in the Zoe fob but that just works for 10 minutes or so. I definitely want a car that you can just turn the heating on and it stays on until you get out of the car.

Looks like kona might be out if it doesn't. Is the app on the 69 plate kona I wonder?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Using heating while charging needs to work from inside the car and not keep turning off ie it behaves like it's fully powered up.

You can use the app or pre heat button in the Zoe fob but that just works for 10 minutes or so. I definitely want a car that you can just turn the heating on and it stays on until you get out of the car.

Looks like kona might be out if it doesn't. Is the app on the 69 plate kona I wonder?
You get this with a Model 3 - whether plugged in and charging or not plugged in. Just open the door and sit in it, no need to touch any heating or cooling controls. You can also switch it on or off and set the temperature all remotely.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Not in the UK, I think US and/or Canada got the app on the 2018 model, but definitely only on the 2020 model in the UK. Some 2020 models have hit dealers in Canada so hopefully there will be more info soon

·
Registered
728 Posts
I definitely want a car that you can just turn the heating on and it stays on until you get out of the car.
Fairly sure you can do that in the Kona by simply leaving it switched on until you get out - may not be ideal for battery efficiency as other systems may stay on as well.
There is an "ignition on but not driveable" mode if you press the "on" button twice without your foot on the brake, but don't recall if this enables the traction power to allow heat/AC - I can check if you like.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@mikeselectricstuff
If you can check what you can use in the no brake pedal start while it's charging that would be useful. Soul would let you use the seat heaters but not much else. Pretty sure you couldn't open the charge flap with the car when it was switched on.

Sounds like the very out of budget Tesla is the best at this sort of thing
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
728 Posts
ah ok I didn't realise you were talking about being plugged in, as you said "until you get out of the car" - will check. Don't forget that huge battery capacity means that even if you sit for 10 mins with heating before setting off, the effect on range isn't much - I think the aircon or heat is about 1kW max, so maybe 2% of battery by running it for an hour

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
@mikeselectricstuff
If you can check what you can use in the no brake pedal start while it's charging that would be useful. Soul would let you use the seat heaters but not much else. Pretty sure you couldn't open the charge flap with the car when it was switched on.

Sounds like the very out of budget Tesla is the best at this sort of thing
:rolleyes:
Worth keeping an eye on the e-Corsa. With discounted prices at ~£25k for the top spec, it would be a good alternative to the Model 3 if you are after a lower cost alternative.

I would also say the e-208, but discounts are much lower, and top spec is towards the £30k mark....probably too close to the Model 3....

·
Registered
11,779 Posts
Worth keeping an eye on the e-Corsa. With discounted prices at ~£25k for the top spec, it would be a good alternative to the Model 3 if you are after a lower cost alternative.

I would also say the e-208, but discounts are much lower, and top spec is towards the £30k mark....probably too close to the Model 3....
Probably not fair to assume the e-208 will have a reliable app before we've verified this?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Probably not fair to assume the e-208 will have a reliable app before we've verified this?
Nor the e-Corsa....that's why I just suggested to keep an eye on it. Would need to verify if either could do any of the requirements above before hand.

Hopefully some nice detailed reviews from TB and the like on YouTube would provide answers/ test drives ahead of committing.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I just confirmed on my Kona - you can use all the heating/cooling functions while the car is charging. I think it's reasonable to assume that this will be controllable via the app on the 2020 version. The Hyundai Bluelink app is on the Google play store, and appears to support remotely turning on the heating and aircon - there are a few demo screens on the app store page

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
E golf was always a possible but it would need the heat pump. Many folk seem to get only 125 miles to a charge and even in this weather the Zoe is banging out nearer 150.

Corsa electric might be good as well.

Is there a hardware reason why the Zoe can't use the heating while it's charging or is it just a software limitation as nobody thought about it? I want to know if I can hack it and make the Auto heating work while it's charging without having to use the pre heat button or app so it just behaves like it's half on.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't tried the in car pre soak. I normally hit the Auto button and get blasted with cold air...

Is there a limit on how many times you can use the comfort timer in a row without starting the car?

·
Registered
561 Posts
What other EVs are there that do all of the above?

VW E-Golf
I do like the eGolf having had one for a few days but the main reason I would not buy it is... Personally I wouldn't buy another EV without the chargepoint socket in the nose. Side mounted is an utter pain in the nuts and have missed out on many chargers as a result.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts