Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I do like the eGolf having had one for a few days but the main reason I would not buy it is... Personally I wouldn't buy another EV without the chargepoint socket in the nose. Side mounted is an utter pain in the nuts and have missed out on many chargers as a result.
It wouldn’t put me off getting another e-Golf if the need arose but it can be a pain charging at roadside rapids on a busy road as I have to cross the lane of oncoming traffic to park with the right side of the car to the kerb/charger.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It wouldn’t put me off getting another e-Golf if the need arose but it can be a pain charging at roadside rapids on a busy road as I have to cross the lane of oncoming traffic to park with the right side of the car to the kerb/charger.
So if the charge socket was in the nose would you trail the charging cable across the road?
In the UK at least, we drive on the left, the charge socket is on the RH (drivers) side of the car so if you crossed the road (without turning round) the charge socket would be kerbside.
The potential need to turn round surely applies when you wish to charge on the LH side of the road?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think the point was that in the nose, it doesn't matter which side the charger is as you can get the nose close enough that the cable will reach either way, but on the side, the cable has to go around the car if it's on the wrong side

·
Registered
186 Posts
So if the charge socket was in the nose would you trail the charging cable across the road?
In the UK at least, we drive on the left, the charge socket is on the RH (drivers) side of the car so if you crossed the road (without turning round) the charge socket would be kerbside.
The potential need to turn round surely applies when you wish to charge on the LH side of the road?
A car with a charging socket in the nose would just pull up next to the charger and the cable would be long enough to reach.

The charger I'm thinking about needs the car to be parallel parked with the driver's side to the kerb for a rear charger; even if the cable reached round the car (and I'm pretty sure it's too short), parking with the passenger side to the kerb and the back of the car by the charger would put the rest of the car on a yellow line (possibly double yellow, I can't remember). So, yes, the answer is to park driver's side to the kerb which obviously means negotiating a route across on-coming traffic (it's a pretty busy main road). It's that rather than whether or not I need to turn round that's the inconvenience (there's a roundabout just along the road from it if I do need to turn round). It's not ideal but it's also not a deal-breaker.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts