Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
New to this, so sorry if this is a repeat.

Now getting a Vauxhall Ampera. But which is the best Free home charging point to get. British Gas supply the POLAR one, another one is ROLEC and there is also Pod Point

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm stuck with the 16amp version due my fuse box, but not sure if you get access to more points if you are with one particular make?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Podpoint installed a new isolated, erm, something in the meter cupboard on ours which completely bypassed the current consumer unit (fuse box). Not because it couldn't take it, but because of the crazy wiring and positioning of things. Maybe an installer can do the same for you?!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess the next stage is to decide which card to use...sourceeast seems the best atm...any others??

Will see what the installer can do

·
Registered
118 Posts
Like @Kevin Sharpe said it's well worth the upgrade if it can be done. Get a picture of your fuseboard up here and I'll see if I can give you some advise re the possibility of having the 32amp version. Like @Paul said your installer can fit it before your consumer unit by splitting the tails.
Re which unit??? Rolec is modular so can be upgraded easily - but the new cable to the car will cost you more than the price of the upgrade if you get it done from the start. Pod points can be upgraded - but this is top secret and can't tell you how as I'd be shot, but again you need a bigger cable to the car approx £150+ not sure on other makes.
I do know a few guys who make them in garages, but best keep that to ourselves!
Keep us posted.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
When thinking about upgrades remember that a DIN rail based design like the ROLEC and older PodPoint can easily accommodate metering and control systems in the future by simply plugging in new DIN modules.

IMO we should all be planning for upgrades not just throwing away the hardware when we need a new feature :(

·
Super Moderator
7,539 Posts
My consumer unit had space for another mcb and enough spare current, but British gas fitted a new mcb (and rcd I think) next to it. This was for the 32a (actually 30a)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tails on my board come straight from the lead sealed fuse. The main rccd on the board is only 63a. I also have to say the prices of a slightly longer lead is extortionate...would ideally need a 6m one. Most are limited to 4.5 or 5.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I also have to say the prices of a slightly longer lead is extortionate...would ideally need a 6m one. Most are limited to 4.5 or 5.
6m is a custom cable and will be expensive. As standard Europe is using 5m and US 4.5m and everyone makes those lengths in the thousands.

·
Banned
460 Posts
I have had the Rolec 32A 7.2kw for all of 2 days now. But so far so good, it seems to be a good piece of kit, and up to the job.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Everyone
New to this, so sorry if this is a repeat.

Now getting a Vauxhall Ampera. But which is the best Free home charging point to get. British Gas supply the POLAR one, another one is ROLEC and there is also Pod Point

Thanks in advance

Can't speak for any of the others but I've had my Podpoint for 15 months and it's been fine

·
Registered
118 Posts
It still working @alan denyer? Still think we should have installed it on another flats meter! Then you would have very cheap running costs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts