Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul EV
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering moving to Octopus Energy. Compared with my current supplier the charges for electricity and gas are much ligher.
Octopus Promise is around £28 a month more and Octopusfixed is £64 a month more.

When I'm able to switch to Octopus Go the costs would be a little less for electricity but I would have to find a supplier for my gas.

Do you have any recommendations for a gas supplier?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,816 Posts
I am considering moving to Octopus Energy. Compared with my current supplier the charges for electricity and gas are much ligher.
Octopus Promise is around £28 a month more and Octopusfixed is £64 a month more.

When I'm able to switch to Octopus Go the costs would be a little less for electricity but I would have to find a supplier for my gas.

Do you have any recommendations for a gas supplier?
I can offer a discount for So Energy. See below link. They have been good for customer service and easy on line billing. Check the pricing/introduction benefit makes sense to you.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I am on February fix with Octopus for gas 2.93p kwh 26p a day standing charge it was cheapest rate when I switched.

The lowest rate on Moneysupermarket currently is British Gas 4p kWh and 27p a day standing charge.

I checked Zog energy they are 3.24p kWh 24.15p standing charge a day. £7.30 a year less on standing charge which is nothing really.

So octopus were competitive on dual fuel earlier on in year at least.

Energy cost have gone up a lot this year. If I had switched a week earlier I would have saved around £600 on my energy costs this year with my usage.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Yep, it's all got a bit pricey lately so used @donald s link for the £40 sweetner. Plus it's only a £5 exit fee should something else popup. I did contact Octopus several times about how to move 'gas only' over being with them for Go Faster but didn't get anywhere. Cheers!

·
30,816 Posts
As @Scrooge has figured out, I think you make/save more money these days with gas by picking good entry/exit bonuses, rather than looking at rates (unless you live in a one-walled wooden warehouse).

·
30,816 Posts
Yep, it's all got a bit pricey lately so used @donald s link for the £40 sweetner. Plus it's only a £5 exit fee should something else popup. I did contact Octopus several times about how to move 'gas only' over being with them for Go Faster but didn't get anywhere. Cheers!
(y)

Cheers, buddy! Just seen the email note come in.

£40 for both of us! I thought you meant £40 between us.

I think it was £25 last year.

All the better for it.

Bonzer!

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I can offer a discount for So Energy. See below link. They have been good for customer service and easy on line billing. Check the pricing/introduction benefit makes sense to you.
Also with So Energy for gas. Good billing and support. Price not too bad.

·
Registered
702 Posts
As @Scrooge has figured out, I think you make/save more money these days with gas by picking good entry/exit bonuses, rather than looking at rates (unless you live in a one-walled wooden warehouse).
Not really I saved around £300 a year overall last time I switched. As I said if I had switched a week before the saving would have been around £600 a year. I guess it's down to your energy usage profile though.

·
Registered
702 Posts
It's a 5000 sqft Victorian semi with separate 3 bed flat. So two boilers.one of which is a large system boiler. All be it the boilers are high efficiency and Its been insulated as much is practical. But yes it's expensive to run no doubt.

·
30,816 Posts
It's a 5000 sqft Victorian semi with separate 3 bed flat. So two boilers.one of which is a large system boiler. All be it the boilers are high efficiency and Its been insulated as much is practical. But yes it's expensive to run no doubt.
:oops:

A 5000 sqft semi!? Isn't that the footage of a small 3 storey mansion? How big are the detached houses on your street!

·
Registered
702 Posts
:oops:

A 5000 sqft semi!? Isn't that the footage of a small 3 storey mansion? How big are the detached houses on your street!
There are only a couple . One is probably not much bigger. The other one is bigger for sure.

They are all Victorian and Edwardian semis otherwise apart for some flats where they demolished a 1930s detached.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts