Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, just joined up as I'm new to the whole EV scene. Should take delivery of a new Audi E-tron in September and I need to get my finger out and get a charger installed at home. My question is which one should I go for.

PodPoint - apparently get this free through Audi however I'm getting sick of chasing Audi in order to arrange this. Heard these are pretty basic chargers anyway.

Project EV - A local company has offered me this for a few hundred pounds. Don't know too much about them.

Rolec - Same local company has offered this for a few hundred more than the Project EV. Have heard a few people recommend these.

My question is, apart from the costs , what are the differences, Pros and Cons etc.

I quite like the idea of controlling charging via App and utilising cheaper tariffs at night etc.

Thanks in advance.
Baz.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Baz

Welcome!

There's no absolute best choice, more a case of what fits your needs. For example,
  1. do you have solar and if so are you home during daylight in order to charge from it?
  2. What sort of tariff are you on or moving to? For example one single rate, or with an off-peak period, or continuously variable?
  3. Do you have 3 phase at home?
  4. Do you want to use the onboard timer on the E-Tron or one on a smartphone app?
There's also issues around
  1. the electricity supply to your house (what spare capacity is there and how convenient is it to get from your meter to where the car will be parked),
  2. what mobile phone and your WiFi signals are like where you park the car,
  3. the amount that you'll need every night (the E-Tron uses about 1kWh per 2.5 miles)?
Sorry for all the questions, but it isn't straightforward.

In answer to your questions:
  • PodPoint is a safe choice but one that currently doesn't allow you to configure charging times nor support solar or variable tariffs.

• ProjectEV - a partially rebranded Growatt product. Very limited and poorly written app, some support for solar. Typical chinese product, but they do have a huge number of EVs so should know what they are doing. Support going forwards after guarantee period unknown.

• Rolec - a huge number of people had problems with the earlier ones due to poorly designed components. Latest "smart" version quality unknown and has limited "smart" features.
Others to consider:
  • Zappi - expensive but good for home integration - very safe

• ChargedEV Smart+ - fully featured, well designed. But do you need all of the features?

• Ohme - cheap and cheerful - excellent support for variable time of use tariffs such as Octopus Agile
Don't get me onto the subject of Earthing - just don't believe that little "magic boxes" such as the Matt:e are a wonder cure for every circumstance.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just looking at the chargers themselves, I have a Project EV. As mentioned, it's a rebranded Growatt Chinese product. The app and instructions are typical pigeon English and non intuitive. I only treat it as a dumb charger and I use the car's timer to take care of the cheap overnight rates. Treating things this way, I'm happy. If I were expecting it to be as slick as a commercially available IOS/Android app, then I'd be disappointed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wouldn't go for a dumb charger personally. It's about future proofing as you won't likely go back after getting an EV. The smart chargers are updated via the app and Ohme is good at this. Zappi is excellent and can use solar energy if you have panels? It is more expensive about £900-1000 after grant. Ohme is half that price and I have this wall charger with Octopus Go tariff. It's excellent for price. They plan to have solar use integrated via update. Get a tethered cable. It's a pain going in and out of car to connect cable.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Hi folks, just joined up as I'm new to the whole EV scene. Should take delivery of a new Audi E-tron in September and I need to get my finger out and get a charger installed at home. My question is which one should I go for.

PodPoint - apparently get this free through Audi however I'm getting sick of chasing Audi in order to arrange this. Heard these are pretty basic chargers anyway.

Project EV - A local company has offered me this for a few hundred pounds. Don't know too much about them.

Rolec - Same local company has offered this for a few hundred more than the Project EV. Have heard a few people recommend these.

My question is, apart from the costs , what are the differences, Pros and Cons etc.

I quite like the idea of controlling charging via App and utilising cheaper tariffs at night etc.

Thanks in advance.
Baz.
A dumb charger with a discrete protocol controller can be made smart by anyone with a modicum of electronics capability, on the 12v side of things.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had a Rolec tethered fitted 4 years ago no issues , I know the grant has reduced but surprised prices have not fallen in meantime. .. I only paid £199 Net of grant,

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Had a Rolec tethered fitted 4 years ago no issues , but surprised prices have not fallen ... I only paid £199 Net of grant
The current "smart" Rolec is £449 fitted net of grant, so £200 more than your "dumb" unit installed to a lower safety standard when the grant has reduced by £150. Not too bad, if you place any value on the additional safety or "smart" features (I do on the former, not the latter).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies folks.

DK, to answer your questions,
  1. I don't have have solar. Recent looked into it with solar battery but was put off by the thought of having scaffold erected round my house. Just spent a fortune replacing the house roof and doing my garden so not wanting scaffold all over the place.
  2. Currently (pardon the pun) with Bulb for my electricity on Vari-fair tariff. Don't have a smart meter but I'm planning on getting one and moving supplier shortly. Not decided who to yet.
  3. Don't have 3 phase supply
  4. Could use the Etron timer but read a few folk complaining about it so thought a charger with timer function would be a good idea.
  5. Not sure what spare capacity is in the house electrics.
  6. Will need to check the WiFi / phone signals in the car/charger area.
  7. No idea how many kWh I'll need per night .😬

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Thanks for the answers. 5, 6 and 7 are key before making any sensible decisions.
5 - contact your DNO (distribution network operator - the people who actually supply electricity in your area, not who bill you (bulb) - but their details are on your bill as well as bulbs or you can look them up Here) and ask them what the fuse on your incomer is and if it is less than 100 Amps can they upgrade it as you have an EV.
6 - wander around with your phone to check, it'll prove to your family that you are obsessed. :rolleyes:
7 - look at your typical weekly usage on a daily basis, then divide by 2.5 to get to kWh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the answers. 5, 6 and 7 are key before making any sensible decisions.
5 - contact your DNO (distribution network operator - the people who actually supply electricity in your area, not who bill you (bulb) - but their details are on your bill as well as bulbs or you can look them up Here) and ask them what the fuse on your incomer is and if it is less than 100 Amps can they upgrade it as you have an EV.
6 - wander around with your phone to check, it'll prove to your family that you are obsessed. :rolleyes:
7 - look at your typical weekly usage on a daily basis, then divide by 2.5 to get to kWh.
Fuse on electric supply is 100A.

Just looked back car mot history , averaging 9k per year so 25 mike's per day so 10kWh per day.

Will pop out and check phone/WiFi once rain goes off.

·
Registered
169 Posts
re: WiFi. our EO installer brought both WiFi and Ethernet cable in case the signal wasn’t up to it. what we have is a WiFi box under the stairs by the fuse board connected to our WiFi which is a few meters away, and from there a Ethernet cable running alongside the new 7kw trunking. Normally I’d be wary of running power alongside data signal in parallel because of induction but actually, nobody needs that signal to carry a 4K movie so it’s fine for this purpose.

he did ask we wanted a cabled connection to the router instead of a whole extra box. It was a toss up between drilling through to our flat and drilling into the wall by the fuse box. made no difference tbh.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes Tesla make some, sure there's other makes. Robert Llewellyn from Fully Charged has them and talks about them on video. Too expensive if roof ok and just changing roof tiles for sake of it but if replacing roof anyway that's the time to do it. Can only see they're solar up close and last longer than panels.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Fuse on electric supply is 100A
Can you confirm that is information from the DNO and not read from the fuse holder?
Just looked back car mot history , averaging 9k per year so 25 mike's per day so 10kWh per day.
That's slightly different to the question I meant to ask. Of the say 175 miles/week is that a consistent 25 per day or do you do say 75 per day at the weekend and 5 per day during the week? The latter might imply the need for 30kWh overnight.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any view on chargedev smart+ home charger.. seems I have a choice to go with them via the lease company or Pod-Point via manufacturer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Think I've decided on an Ohme Wall Charger. I'll need to pay for it rather than the free Pod Point supplied by Audi but I think it's got better features.

·
Registered
704 Posts
You could get a free charger installed and if untethered get the type-2 ohme that could plug straight in.

Or if not untethered... use the cabling that got installed as part of the charger install for say a 32A commando ohme?

I'm assuming you are considering the ohme for £199 on the Octopus deal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts