Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have solar at home and a tesla powerwall which is great in the summer. I am on a time of day tariff so day/night its very cheap and peak 4pm-8pm very expensive so the Powerwall provides power for the house during that period.

Is there a home car charger so the ioniq5 could supplement this peak demand should the tesla run out ?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I doubt it could be done easily, as the Ioniq's AC output would need to be synchronised to the grid if you wanted a seamless "supplement" system. There would also need to be a way to tell the Ioniq 5 when to turn on its output.
One possible way might be to use a second solar inverter, with the solar input connected via a rectifier to the Ioniq's output, but you still have the issue of how to switch the Ioniq from charge to discharge.

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf; Tesla Model 3
163 Posts
I think the only vehicle to grid (V2G) or vehicle to home (V2H) system available now outside a few niche trials is the Chademo based Nissan Leaf, and even here relatively few UK electricity distributors seem to be offering this. And the two-way DC home charging equipment is still pricy (low volumes), on a par with a small home battery.

I'd suggest you look again in a year or two as things should improve.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,469 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
proper CCS V2G is years away for everyone. blame thise setting the standards.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Considering what a mess they made of CCS, I'm not holding my breath...
Ha. We have a working prototype of CCS V2G (using bespoke messaging) and have built a rapid charger with battery attached.

I can confirm that the CCS (ISO 15118) standard and architecture is a complete and utter mess which is why you see so many compatability problems in the field. One example is you cannot actually purchase the PLC chip required for comms in low quantities - need to be purchasing 10s of thousands....

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Golf Match Bluemotion 1.0 TSI
133 Posts
Ioniq's AC output would need to be synchronised to the grid if you wanted a seamless "supplement" system.
Should be feasible. On my boat a 14 year old Victron MultiPlus Combination Inverter Charger can take 24v DC from battery and produce 240v AC synced to the grid to supplement low current shore power.

·
Registered
542 Posts
From the research I’ve done, the current cost of a V2G wall box is more than the cost of a reasonable size dedicated battery, which is available even when the car is not at home.

Obviously that is slightly distorted by the high price of the Powerwall but against better priced batteries, I can’t see the case for V2G as it’s priced at the moment.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,469 Posts
Should be feasible.
But is probably not standard on the Ioniq or similar cars such as the Honda e or Ford F-150 Lightning. Retrofitting the extra controls would no doubt lose the warranty.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Should be feasible. On my boat a 14 year old Victron MultiPlus Combination Inverter Charger can take 24v DC from battery and produce 240v AC synced to the grid to supplement low current shore power.
Feasible, yes but seems unlikely that Hyundai would have built that functionality into the car's onboard inverter

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Feasible, yes but seems unlikely that Hyundai would have built that functionality into the car's onboard inverter
V2L (where the load is islanded) is very different to something that is grid tied - extra hardware requirements, isolation, earthing, frequency matching, site installation considerations, efficiencies, etc let alone local grid codes, DNO rules etc.

Islanded V2L is very different to grid tied V2x technologies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts