Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Totally new to EV's. We have just ordered a new e-Golf for my wife and as this will be with us in just around 2 weeks time, I'm keen to arrange for a charging point to be installed to our home so she can quickly charge it at home.
An internet search seems to show lots of different providers though without many reviews to be found.
I've been looking closely at the ChargedEV (which I think is owned by BP?) system but can't really decide between their SMart+ or ChargeMaster device? There doesn't seem to be much difference in the two apart from the Smart+ can accept solar engery (which we don't have).

I'm keen to get a charger with a dedicated cable (tethered?) and one which can be controlled via an app.
Only reason I'm leaning towards the ChargedEV system at the moment is the £50 deal to the POLAR network for 2yrs. I assume this will be worth it as most of the public points in our area seem to be on this network?

I was hoping someone may be able to offer some advice about whether these chargers are any good or if there are any others which you might recommend?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm in a similar position, having ordered an e-Golf just over a week ago I've been researching chargers and installers. I'm finding that the choice of charger is down to budget and personal choice, and that each OLEV-authorised installer is eligible for the grant only for specific charger manufacturers. If you prefer a particular manufacturer, https://www.chargemyev-home.co.uk is useful if you search for your region and then filter on that manufacturer. Some chargers require earth rods, like Rolec, and some don't, like Zappi (v2 I think). I don't know about what ChargedEV offer.

In the early days of research I was put off by ChargedEV because even after several photos and a video walkaround, they wanted to charge £75 for a site survey which would only be refundable if I went ahead with them. They did say that it looked like a standard install, but I've had five other installers say the exact opposite so I can imagine that they'd show up for the £75 and suddenly realise it's not a standard installation and quote accordingly...

Andersen A2 chargers look like the gold standard but with a price tag to match. EO are tiny and look pretty neat. Zappi can work with your solar panels if you have them. Rolecs are ugly IMO.

Oh, and I replied to Pod Point a week ago after they asked for photos, and they still haven't replied. Not encouraging considering that I think they're VW's partner.

Whew, good luck. Look forward to hearing from anyone else in the same boat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ChargedEV were good for me, they initially asked me to send a few photos of where I wanted the charger, my meter, layout of my house and one or two others. Then they told me my fuse needed upgrading from 60amp to 100 amp. This was done for free by Northern Powergrid. They then did the install, took all day but great job, two guys, very professional.

Got the Smart+ works great, the app is good also. No issues at all, 5 weeks in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Rolecs are ugly IMO.
Is that because of the colours? If so I thought so too but you can get different colour combinations and having seen some photos in the Tesla Model 3 channel, it's certainly changed my mind and now prefer it to the PodPoint

·
EV Convert
551 Posts
You'll be disappointed to learn that they're all a rip off. Buy the cheapest one that you can find eg on ebay second hand, and get a sparky to fit. They all work. It's not a charger, it's just a 16A or 32A socket with some control electronics.

Why do you need an App to control it? The car has timed charging and conditioning.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is that because of the colours? If so I thought so too but you can get different colour combinations and having seen some photos in the Tesla Model 3 channel, it's certainly changed my mind and now prefer it to the PodPoint
Some of the colours are okay. It's just the cartoon-industrial look that doesn't sit right with me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I placed an order with charged-ev and after putting down a deposit on the 9th Oct I was told it would take 5 days to review my application and somebody would be in touch.
Well 5 days came and went so I contacted them again to be told it can take up to two weeks.
Then I google their reviews and it seems that this may become the "norm" when dealing with this company. A lot of complaints of people getting poor communication and various dates being set and missed.

To add to this, the VW dealer called us yesterday to inform us that our Golf is going to be ready to collect this Friday (tomorrow!)
I've now been frantically calling other charger installers but all seem to have around 4 weeks lead-time on installation.
So it seems we're going to be without a fast charger at home for around a month.
This feels far from ideal! :(
I assume I can't be the only one who has had this happen to them and so I wanted to know how we're likely going to get on using a 3-pin domestic plug socket for charging the Golf?

We live in a bit of a blank spot for public charges but luckily there is one near my wife's place of work which she is likely going to have to use in the meantime. The rest of the time I'll just have to keep it plugged in at home I guess?

·
Registered
80 Posts
My experience with Charged EV was awful. See here:

I asked for a refund.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have just used ecoplugg - very good customer service and they got back to me in no time at all, quote received within 24 hrs.
The wait for install is a while, but purely as as I have ordered a Zappi, but then again my car is not due to arrive until next month.
Give them a try and see what they can do, depending where you are.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have just used ecoplugg - very good customer service and they got back to me in no time at all, quote received within 24 hrs.
The wait for install is a while, but purely as as I have ordered a Zappi, but then again my car is not due to arrive until next month.
Give them a try and see what they can do, depending where you are.
I'm also using EcoPlugg because I wanted an emonEVSE charger and they are the only installers apart from a couple of local people not in my area. They've been great to talk to, but my quote fell into an IT black hole by the sounds of it, so it took a while. That said, they're installing in 2 weeks from me giving the go-ahead.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So, I placed an order with charged-ev and after putting down a deposit on the 9th Oct I was told it would take 5 days to review my application and somebody would be in touch.
Well 5 days came and went so I contacted them again to be told it can take up to two weeks.
Then I google their reviews and it seems that this may become the "norm" when dealing with this company. A lot of complaints of people getting poor communication and various dates being set and missed.

To add to this, the VW dealer called us yesterday to inform us that our Golf is going to be ready to collect this Friday (tomorrow!)
I've now been frantically calling other charger installers but all seem to have around 4 weeks lead-time on installation.
So it seems we're going to be without a fast charger at home for around a month.
This feels far from ideal! :(
I assume I can't be the only one who has had this happen to them and so I wanted to know how we're likely going to get on using a 3-pin domestic plug socket for charging the Golf?

We live in a bit of a blank spot for public charges but luckily there is one near my wife's place of work which she is likely going to have to use in the meantime. The rest of the time I'll just have to keep it plugged in at home I guess?
The install lead time will vary depending on the charger manufacturer. For example, the EVBOX Elvi is available immediately with us but some other chargers have longer lead times.

The Ohme is another to consider that is getting positive reviews and very compact.

We do our surveys upfront either online or video call and give you the full quote first. Then it's your choice if you want to go ahead with the work or not. I think it's better this way rather than find out further down the line about other costs.

Happy to help you out further if you like. Either visit our website or email me at [email protected] and I will get the ball rolling for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To while away the months waiting for my Kia eNiro I have started to look at domestic chargers. Zap map illustrated a dozen or so which was quite useful, as are the posts here about people's experiences with various installers.
Can any lucky ev users please post their experiences of using the charger apps, that seem to be a fairly common feature?
I note that A1GSS thinks the car can do all the programming of the charging process that you need, but I have little information about exactly what it can do [despite ploughing through n pages of the on-line manual, US version].
The sort of thing I hope to be able to do is to charge during the off-peak supply periods [Economy 10 with 3 such periods in 24hr] and tell "it" what level of charge to stop at.
Presumably any app requires the charger to be on-line. My charger will be about 50m away from the house so I might be able to "pipe" a signal down the mains from the router in the house. But if that doesn't work the charger would need its own sim, which I see mentioned in some specs. I can see that if I needed to go out to the car on a dark and stormy night to change the charging plan, I would regret not having an app to do it on. But is there much more to it than that?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Basically, you want a simple reliable charger and let the car do the timing. The apps to control your EVSE are just another thing with multiple links in the chain that can fail.

·
Registered
76 Posts
To while away the months waiting for my Kia eNiro I have started to look at domestic chargers. Zap map illustrated a dozen or so which was quite useful, as are the posts here about people's experiences with various installers.
Can any lucky ev users please post their experiences of using the charger apps, that seem to be a fairly common feature?
I note that A1GSS thinks the car can do all the programming of the charging process that you need, but I have little information about exactly what it can do [despite ploughing through n pages of the on-line manual, US version].
The sort of thing I hope to be able to do is to charge during the off-peak supply periods [Economy 10 with 3 such periods in 24hr] and tell "it" what level of charge to stop at.
Presumably any app requires the charger to be on-line. My charger will be about 50m away from the house so I might be able to "pipe" a signal down the mains from the router in the house. But if that doesn't work the charger would need its own sim, which I see mentioned in some specs. I can see that if I needed to go out to the car on a dark and stormy night to change the charging plan, I would regret not having an app to do it on. But is there much more to it than that?
The Ohme charger does just that. You can tell it to charge at the cheapest possible rates, but so long as it reaches a minimum percentage for the battery. Very clever stuff.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
EVSE

Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment as in the equipment that supplies power to the car, and coordinates Comms between the car and supply switching such as by contactors.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks to both of you.
freddym, what does EVSE stand for please?
[email protected] how does the charger know what is the cheaper rate?
I'd like to cop out and say I don't know exactly how it does it ha!

I think it needs to be paired with the right tariff, such as the Octopus Agile tariff. Best place to look is either the Ohme website, Octopus' website for their Agile tariff or our own but it doesn't explain too much about the various tariffs that work with Ohme yet.

I know one of the Ohme directors uses this forum so I'll link him to this thread shortly and he might be able to help more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have had the golf for a bit over a week. Has been charged on 3 pin 3 times so far. Slow but it works. I have ordered a PodPoint, just waiting to hear. I didn't order it until a week after the car arrived.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts