Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Which model?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
To me it seems quite clear the Life is by far the best value. The jump in cost to business of £3730 doesn't seem value, Ambient Lighting, IQ Lights, Tinted Glass, Keyless Entry and Rear view camera for £3730. Such a shame you can't just buy the options you want. I'd be happy with Life plus rear view camera, alloys and paint. If I could spec that I'd be buying an ID3 as my next car (I run an E-golf at the moment). By the time I load business with a paint I like and alloys its very close to Tesla model 3 price....

·
Registered
139 Posts
To me it seems quite clear the Life is by far the best value. The jump in cost to business of £3730 doesn't seem value, Ambient Lighting, IQ Lights, Tinted Glass, Keyless Entry and Rear view camera for £3730. Such a shame you can't just buy the options you want. I'd be happy with Life plus rear view camera, alloys and paint. If I could spec that I'd be buying an ID3 as my next car (I run an E-golf at the moment). By the time I load business with a paint I like and alloys its very close to Tesla model 3 price....
Not to mention the all new Ford Mustang Mach E plus Polestar of course....

·
Registered
Volkswagen e-Golf 2018
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The poverty spec Model 3 is over £43k before the grant. I think the ID.3 is generally a lot less than that. You can add £10k of options to a Life and still have change.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Life is definitely the best value but Man Brain goes into gear when it comes to cars and I like my toys so will be ordering the Max. Tempted by the Tour but it makes some compromised for the extra range that I don't really need.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The poverty spec Model 3 is over £43k before the grant. I think the ID.3 is generally a lot less than that. You can add £10k of options to a Life and still have change.
OK, So just suppose you want a Sunroof and a Reversing Camera (both standard on Model 3) straight away you are looking at £34,650 as you need to buy the 'Family' model. I don't like the VW default Grey colour (any other colour is OK) so I'd need to add another £600 for paint and another £600 for alloys approx. You are now looking at only a few K more and you have a Tesla. Don't get me wrong, I know they are different cars, saloon v hatchback etc and I like both of them. At 30K vs 40K I'd go with the VW, but at a spec I want its a much more difficult decision.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mustang certainly looks interesting too. It's good that choice is expanding all the time, just could do with the price coming down a bit more.
Honestly, I think that over the next year or two the whole game will change for good. I am sure that we will see a lot of cars coming to the market with a lot more toys as standard plus the battery range will establish itself around 70/80 kWh across the family size cars. The small batteries 40/50 kWh will still be around for city cars but everything else will go up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Actually comparing the Specs between the TECH and the MAX with a £2000 differential the MAX only seems to gain:

Sports Package Plus
Dynamic Chassis Control (Not need if the Standard set up is Fine n 18/19 inch wheels)
Adaptive Steering (Never had it so don't know )
Sports Suspension (Likely to make the ride worse)

Comfort Plus
2 Zone Climate Control (Not needed usually in the car on y own My OCD like to keep them in Synch Anyway)
Addition Underfloow Luggage space (No idea what this is?)

On reflection £2000 is a big step up for options which are IMHO not essential for . I will admit that the DCC and Adaptive Steering intrigues me but I think I would not miss any of them.

On Reflection I may switch from MAX to TECH- Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Actually comparing the Specs between the TECH and the MAX with a £2000 differential the MAX only seems to gain:

Sports Package Plus
Dynamic Chassis Control (Not need if the Standard set up is Fine n 18/19 inch wheels)

Comfort Plus
2 Zone Climate Control (Not needed usually in the car on y own My OCD like to keep them in Synch Anyway)

On reflection £2000 is a big step up for options which are IMHO not essential for . I will admit that the DCC and Adaptive Steering intrigues me but I think I would not miss any of them.

I think the MAX also has the ErgoActive seats, with additional thigh support, lumbar adjustable and with massage function.
They don't seem to be in the UK brochure, but are in the Ireland brochure on both the MAX and TOUR.
It makes sense, but you would need to double check! 🙂

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I can't see any point in a Sports anything on a car like this. Auto journalists blither on about handling, body roll and "feel" and what have you but 90% of owners will probably just stick in comfort mode (if they even notice the settings) and drive like they're not pretending to be in The Italian Job. Stiffening the suspension just makes for an uncomfortable feel for the nine times out of ten you're about town or on the motorway. I seem to recall deletion of sports suspension was always recommended for BMW M Sport trim cars (as opposed to full fat M3s etc) due to it cracking your spine after 10 minutes.

Some will always crave hairy chested B Road blasters, but I would suggest that they should look elsewhere.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You are correct this is hardly mentioned in the brochure but from what I can gather from the table on P10 of the brochure.

TECH MAX and TOUR get the "style plus colour pack" which appears to have the electric operated seat with massage function

From the VW Pess Builtin:
"The second level is called Interior Style “Plus”. Here, the seats feature electric 12-way adjustment, manual adjustment of the seat depth, seat heating and also a pneumatically powered lumbar support with massage function. TopSport “Plus” seats will follow shortly after the sales launch with the same technical equipment, pronounced seat cushion bolsters and integrated head restraints. The centre panels on these seats are covered with ArtVelours; and they are enhanced by ID. logos and decorative stitching. All electrically adjustable seats have been awarded the seal of approval of the German Campaign for Healthier Backs (AGR). This applies to both the driver and front passenger seats. The seats have armrests on the inner side in all equipment variants. All seat covers are made of animal-free materials."

·
Registered
271 Posts
Man Brain kicked in and ordered the Max

• White/Black exterior
  • white /saffron Interior
  • 19” Andoya BlackAlloy wheels
  • Bike Carrier Preparation
Can I be cheeky and ask if you got any discount? The Max is my choice to be ordered for delivery next year (Manganese Grey Metallic, Platium grey interior, 19" Andoya Wheels with Penny Copper (not sure about the styling pack/stickers yet) and Bike Carrier Preparation. I have my 2015 GTE to trade in that WBAC have offered £10.5K for, maybe any price movement will be here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Difficult to say but I am a repeat customer at the dealership and I did get offered slightly more than I was expecting for my Px. In summary no discount shown on invoice but Px price was good.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Sports Package Plus

Comfort Plus

I do not think that Dynamic chassis control is required as the standard suspension setup is superb at least on 18inch wheels. Unless you were a complete nerd, I am not sure why anybody would want to change the standard suspension setup.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I did a video of the ID.3 1st base, which is like the Life. It shows what is missing from the Plus and Max and the seat materials used etc. The standard LED lights are great and light assist works very well, obviously IQ lights are better, but I would not pay extra for them. I will try to bring out a video with the standard LED lights so you can see how good they are this week, Chris from Battery Life did a video of the Matrix IQ light so you can compare.

I am glad the ID.3 1st base did not come with keyless entry, as I have had it before, and I do not like it. Tinted glass can be added later by a third party. The life does not come with ambient lighting because the 1st base does? I would not pay extra for ambient lighting. The only thing that is missing for me is the rear camera, especially because the charging port is at the back and you must reverse into many charging spaces. The parking sensors are particularly good, I would pay a few hundred pounds extra for a parking camera but not 3730 pounds.

There are no fundamental differences over the base model to top spec model. The 58 kwh versions to drive, to charge are the same. For me, the base edition already has more features then I honestly need and has a better infotainment system than any other car I have owned. It is then just up to you to decide if you want to spend more money for the extra features based on your budget.

Here is my ID.3 1st base video:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did a video of the ID.3 1st base, which is like the Life. It shows what is missing from the Plus and Max and the seat materials used etc. The standard LED lights are great and light assist works very well, obviously IQ lights are better, but I would not pay extra for them. I will try to bring out a video with the standard LED lights so you can see how good they are this week, Chris from Battery Life did a video of the Matrix IQ light so you can compare.

I am glad the ID.3 1st base did not come with keyless entry, as I have had it before, and I do not like it. Tinted glass can be added later by a third party. The life does not come with ambient lighting because the 1st base does? I would not pay extra for ambient lighting. The only thing that is missing for me is the rear camera, especially because the charging port is at the back and you must reverse into many charging spaces. The parking sensors are particularly good, I would pay a few hundred pounds extra for a parking camera but not 3730 pounds.

There are no fundamental differences over the base model to top spec model. The 58 kwh versions to drive, to charge are the same. For me, the base edition already has more features then I honestly need and has a better infotainment system than any other car I have owned. It is then just up to you to decide if you want to spend more money for the extra features based on your budget.

Here is my ID.3 1st base video:
I watched this video last night, thanks really helpful. The lack of rear speakers is disappointing, especially if the front speaker setup isn’t very good.
What is the difference between the 1st Base and Life? In the U.K. we don’t have the 1st base listed as a specification.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts