Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,678 Posts
In defence of this video, while the delivery is a little blown out of proportion, I am interested to know why Which? didn't feel a Tesla qualified for the 'best electric cars to buy in 2021' list - given their huge popularity
Because the Tesla's they tested and have owner data for do not score over 75% on their scoring system. That does not account for numbers sold but tries to assess how good a car it is. See comments above.

For years I ran a series of ICE Ford Focuses. For much of the time it was top or second top bestselling car in the UK. It has never been a Which Best Buy. Largely due to its average level of reliability as I remember.

·
Registered
E-Golf
15 Posts
Because the Tesla's they tested and have owner data for do not score over 75% on their scoring system. That does not account for numbers sold but tries to assess how good a car it is. See comments above.

For years I ran a series of ICE Ford Focuses. For much of the time it was top or second top bestselling car in the UK. It has never been a Which Best Buy. Largely due to its average level of reliability as I remember.
Fair cop if that's why. You'd just think though with so few EV models (relatively speaking) that they would defo make the list.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So Which? has lost all credibility because they've evaluated the Tesla lineup as cars, not just as EVs?

The church of Musk is spreading.
No - Which? had already lost all credibility with me by their previous reports.... As mentioned above...

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Tesla, but for them not even to make the list at all shows extreme bias, I'd have thought.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It is a bit odd that it none of the (Tesla) cars are in the top 8, given what else is there, even if it was in 8th place fair enough. I wonder how many people wouldn't include Tesla in a list of cars, but would include a Porsche or e-tron 55, given that the majority of the market in that price range probably isn't going to be looking at Which? it is an oddity, maybe they should separate the list.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't buy a Tesla, but for them not even to make the list at all shows extreme bias, I'd have thought.
And yet if you actually read their reviews you would see that they are very open with their quantitative measures of all vehicles, and where Tesla fall short is reliability based on data from Tesla owners!

So the prejudice is directly from Tesla owners.

Funnily enough, what Which? don't do is fixate on range and charging. All of which would put the Tesla miles ahead in most metrics. But it's compared as a car, to other cars...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I gave up on Which? years ago. When you go to buy something, the reviews are infrequent and hence generally of models you can’t buy anymore. They only select a limited range so whilst you get an opinion about what they tested, you don’t get to understand why the didn’t test the models that weren’t included.

These days you can probably get more out of consumer reviews once you get past the people who bought the wrong thing or couldn’t follow the instructions.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,165 Posts
In particular, for cars, why would you take note of what any magazine says let alone the crackpot that is Which? Go and look at all the ones in your price band, have good root around an do a proper test drive.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
195 Posts
I guess to a certain extent Which magazine is not really required these days, as we have online reviews plus numerous YouTube videos covering most products on the planet, so research for any item is relatively easy. When researching EV's watching many videos you get to know whose opinions you value.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,116 Posts
In particular, for cars, why would you take note of what any magazine says let alone the crackpot that is Which? Go and look at all the ones in your price band, have good root around an do a proper test drive.
Or do what I did in 2019 - Go to Fully Charged Live and sign up for all the test drives you can.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,678 Posts
I guess to a certain extent Which magazine is not really required these days, as we have online reviews plus numerous YouTube videos covering most products on the planet, so research for any item is relatively easy. When researching EV's watching many videos you get to know whose opinions you value.
Certainly get all the information you can from videos, car magazines etc and allow for their biases and the limits of their technical expertise. Which offers a unique, science based approach with a more elaborate test regime than any other magazine and reliability feedback from actual owners. This has its own bias, of course, since the owners are all Which members and that is a self-selecting group who value the Which approach to things. No fanboys.

And, as many have said, do plenty of test drives! What YOU think of it matters probably more than anything. Recognising that your own "testing" is very limited - hence the need to read around.

I cannot understand anyone who orders a car without even seeing it or driving it. There must be an overwhelming need to have the latest thing. Not something I have ever felt!

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
276 Posts
I cannot understand anyone who orders a car without even seeing it or driving it. There must be an overwhelming need to have the latest thing. Not something I have ever felt!
I 100% agreed with you..... until this past March... :LOL: We took delivery of a 1st Ed. VW ID.4 on the 25th of March, without having seen (or driven) the car. We watched/read A LOT of reviews beforehand, but it was still a risk for sure. Hell, we didn't even drive it when they dropped it off at ours before signing the paperwork... I guess we figured the ID.4 was the first properly "affordable" (relative term, I know) family EV and we didn't want to have to wait 6+ months to go fully-EV. The risk certainly paid off though, as we absolutely love it, and have 0 regrets (already put 3,000 miles on it!).

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,678 Posts
I 100% agreed with you..... until this past March... :LOL: We took delivery of a 1st Ed. VW ID.4 on the 15th of March, without having seen (or driven) the car. We watched/read A LOT of reviews beforehand, but it was still a risk for sure. Hell, we didn't even drive it when they dropped it off at ours before signing the paperwork... I guess we figured the ID.4 was the first properly "affordable" (relative term, I know) family EV and we didn't want to have to wait 6+ months to go fully-EV. The risk certainly paid off though, as we absolutely love it, and have 0 regrets (already put 3,000 miles on it!).
That's great!

What I'd call a calculated risk that paid off.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts