Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been done to death, but my quote for renewing with EDF has gone up 20% to 14.2 ppkWh, which is quite steep. Took a look at Octopus, but struggling a bit with the web site to understand what they can do for me.

I don't have a smart meter and the last time I checked I couldn't have a SMETS-2(?) because my local DNO(?) can't support them yet. That was just pre-Covid, but let's assume it hasn't changed.
I don't have solar or a battery and don't plan to get either of them.

The commute requires about 28kWh per day, so 4 hours on my 7kW charger.

Anyone else in a similar situation using Octopus? What's your experience?

Cheers,

·
jim5452
451 Posts
Probably OCTOPUS ENERGY GO or GO FASTER if you are working through the day,
If you are home through the day AGILE may be better ,but not at the moment AGILE is a variable Tariff wich changes every half hour, here is a site with historical prices for you to consider
Home - Energy Stats UK

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Probably OCTOPUS ENERGY GO or GO FASTER if you are working through the day,
If you are home through the day AGILE may be better ,but not at the moment AGILE is a variable Tariff wich changes every half hour, here is a site with historical prices for you to consider
Home - Energy Stats UK
Octopus Go, Go Faster, and Agile all require a Smart meter.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Sorry if this has been done to death, but my quote for renewing with EDF has gone up 20% to 14.2 ppkWh, which is quite steep. Took a look at Octopus, but struggling a bit with the web site to understand what they can do for me.

I don't have a smart meter and the last time I checked I couldn't have a SMETS-2(?) because my local DNO(?) can't support them yet. That was just pre-Covid, but let's assume it hasn't changed.
I don't have solar or a battery and don't plan to get either of them.

The commute requires about 28kWh per day, so 4 hours on my 7kW charger.

Anyone else in a similar situation using Octopus? What's your experience?

Cheers,
I couldn't find a tariff with Octopus that was at all cheap without Smart meter. There is a thread running on Octopus Tracker, is that a possibility?
Otherwise maybe Octopus will not be your best bet. Others have reported fixed tariffs lower than 14.2p/KWh but none worked for me do far.
As I have Smets2 - I'm very happy with Go, but I didn't switch until it was installed as I couldn't make sense of being on Octopus without Smart meter.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,499 Posts
Why can you not use a Smart meter? There are some areas where SMETS2 don't work but Octopus also fit SMETS1 still in that case?

Agile is a lifestyle - you need to be able to regular move consumption to take advantage of the best prices / lowest CO2. If you are unwilling or unable to do that then Go is simpler. Standard Go is 00:30 until 4:30, you can move to Go Faster for shorter or longer periods and different times.

You can also use Tracker which is a good value rate but with unpredictable prices and doesn't require a smart meter. It is better than Agile as it doesn't have the penalty period and you can use Agile prices as a guide, but it is harder to plan with.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Octopus Tracker might be a good fit, low standing charge and variable market rates on electricity and gas that you report to them via updated readings (or they average out the month based on their predictions)

This is what I'm on for GAS whilst on GO/Faster for Leccy

A good video explaining it all here:

8:53Octopus Energy Smart Meter NOT Required! Tracker Tariff ...YouTube · Everything Home5 Sept 2020
Thanks, and good video!

I was coming to the same conclusion after some of the earlier comments encouraged me to look more closely at their website. Couple of questions:

1. Can I submit readings as often as I want?
2. Are there any fixed dates for readings to be submitted? (e.g. must enter on 1st of month)
3. Is the amount I pay just my usage over the period between readings multiplied by the average daily rate in the same period?

The standing charges look competitive too.

If you don't mind sharing, what sort of gas prices are you paying?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why can you not use a Smart meter? There are some areas where SMETS2 don't work but Octopus also fit SMETS1 still in that case?

Agile is a lifestyle - you need to be able to regular move consumption to take advantage of the best prices / lowest CO2. If you are unwilling or unable to do that then Go is simpler. Standard Go is 00:30 until 4:30, you can move to Go Faster for shorter or longer periods and different times.

You can also use Tracker which is a good value rate but with unpredictable prices and doesn't require a smart meter. It is better than Agile as it doesn't have the penalty period and you can use Agile prices as a guide, but it is harder to plan with.
Thanks for the Tracker suggestion - I finally made sense of their website when I focused in on that, see my other post.

Agile is not for me though, too much hassle.

I hadn't considered a SMETS1 because I thought they tied you to a supplier? (maybe old information?)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,499 Posts
Thanks for the Tracker suggestion - I finally made sense of their website when I focused in on that, see my other post.

I hadn't considered a SMETS1 because I thought they tied you to a supplier? (maybe old information?)
They do currently but not for much longer as the are moving to a common DCC.

·
Registered
398 Posts

I've gone to the tracker.
Use my referral if you like both get £50 credit each.
share.octopus.energy/hill-okapi-953

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have been in the same boat as you trying to make a decision!

To add my Twopence worth:

1) Octopus Go would seem to be the best tariff for your EV charging . Fours hours (00.30 - 04.30) per night would give you most of the 28KWh for your daily commute (there will be slight losses in the system).

2) You can't be on Go without a smart meter.

3) You can switch to Octopus Tracker without a smart meter (and apply for the smart meter at the time of switching).

4) There is a £50 referral bonus (for both parties) when switching to Octopus (such as the one in my signature). ;)
(Many of the posters here will have a similar link so you are free to choose your favourite)!

5) Once switched to Octopus, you can call them and ask for a website link to check for any cancellations that may get you the smart meter a bit quicker.

6) Your gas doesn't need to be with Octopus. You can move that to their tracker or leave it where it is or search for a different gas-only tariff.

I have recently completed steps 1-6.
Currently waiting for the smart meter install before changing to the Go tariff.

·
Registered
Audi e-tron 50
167 Posts
On your Octopus account online you can download files, updated daily, for your recent consumption (electricity and gas) showing energy taken every half hour. This information is also graphed for you nicely. Also available, even if you're on Go, is the half-hourly cost of each kWh. You can use this to see if Go would've been cheaper than Agile for your normal use.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to one and all for the advice. I've decided to see if I can move to Agile Tracker dual fuel (both would have been cheaper last year than my current EDF "Go Electric" deal). Their language around "register your interest and we'll see if we can fit you in" isn't the most customer friendly, but the vibe here seems to be that they're generally quite good on that side, so fingers crossed. I've also registered for a smart meter so we'll see what happens there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think I am in a similar position. I have been on EDF's GoElectric tariff since Jan 2020. I don't have a smart meter, so I am charged a theoretical composite rate of 11.69p kWh which is quite competitive in my area. I was promised that a smart meter would be fitted, at which point I would switch to the normal GoElectric tariff of 17.22p peak and 8p off-peak/weekends. 11 months on and I still have not got a smart meter, and the renewal offer shows substantially increased prices. I believe Octopus Agile would work best for me, but I need a smart meter. I have discussed this with Octopus, who advise that they cannot see any reason why a smart meter cannot be fitted, but it would not be until sometime next year. Meanwhile, they say I have to use their standard flexible tariff. After the smart meter is fitted I would then have to wait a further period of time until Octopus are happy that they are receiving accurate information from the new meter. At that point I could switch to Octopus Go (but not Agile). After that I am told I can switch to Agile, but only after switching back to the flexible tariff for 30 days. So, even if things went well, it could take several months before I could get Agile.

As well as an EV I have an ASHP, and my total electric usage is very high, with a significant swing between winter and summer. Hence the very worst time to be on a standard variable tariff is now, right at the start of winter. Reluctantly, I am looking elsewhere with a view to reconsidering a switch to Octopus in late spring.

In summary, the Octopus Tracker tariff might work for you pending an eventual switch to Agile.

·
jim5452
451 Posts
>>>At that point I could switch to Octopus Go (but not Agile). After that I am told I can switch to Agile, but only after switching back to the flexible tariff for 30 days<<<<
I would recheck that it is my understanding that you can go from GO to AGILE but not from AGILE to GO and back to AGILE without going onto a standard tariff for 30 days,
And remember that NEXT YEAR is only 20 days away

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would recheck that it is my understanding that you can go from GO to AGILE but not from AGILE to GO and back to AGILE without going onto a standard tariff for 30 days,
I can only repeat what Octopus told me, but I will go back to them and check. What I was told was:
Our flexible tariff would be the tariff that would be applied temporarily and you could still benefit from the economy 7 tariff until the Go tariff could be initiated. You can switch to Agile but you must have a 30 day window between go and agile so you would have to go onto the flexible tariff again for 30 days before switching to the Agile tariff

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I am in a similar position. I have been on EDF's GoElectric tariff since Jan 2020. I don't have a smart meter, so I am charged a theoretical composite rate of 11.69p kWh which is quite competitive in my area. I was promised that a smart meter would be fitted, at which point I would switch to the normal GoElectric tariff of 17.22p peak and 8p off-peak/weekends. 11 months on and I still have not got a smart meter, and the renewal offer shows substantially increased prices. I believe Octopus Agile would work best for me, but I need a smart meter. I have discussed this with Octopus, who advise that they cannot see any reason why a smart meter cannot be fitted, but it would not be until sometime next year. Meanwhile, they say I have to use their standard flexible tariff. After the smart meter is fitted I would then have to wait a further period of time until Octopus are happy that they are receiving accurate information from the new meter. At that point I could switch to Octopus Go (but not Agile). After that I am told I can switch to Agile, but only after switching back to the flexible tariff for 30 days. So, even if things went well, it could take several months before I could get Agile.

As well as an EV I have an ASHP, and my total electric usage is very high, with a significant swing between winter and summer. Hence the very worst time to be on a standard variable tariff is now, right at the start of winter. Reluctantly, I am looking elsewhere with a view to reconsidering a switch to Octopus in late spring.

In summary, the Octopus Tracker tariff might work for you pending an eventual switch to Agile.
The bolded part of your reply is literally identical to my situation, I could have written what you wrote word for word. That's uncanny!

Given the obstacles in the Octopus path, what kind of deal are you looking for after your EDF deal expires? If you find a cheap fixed rate, let me know!

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I changed to Octopus in October. As others have said get the cancellation link and you should be able to get a smart meter within a month. In my case it took 2 days to get a cancellation, fitted 2 weeks later and I was switched to GO one week later.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts