Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Which of these do you expect to be doing well in 2030?

• Toyota

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Volkswagen Group (Audi, SEAT, Skoda ect.)

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • Hyundai Group (Kia)

Votes: 63 63.0%
  • General Motors (Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC ect.)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Ford

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Stellantis (Fiat, Citroën, Peugeot, Vauxhall, Jeep, Dodge ect.)

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • BMW

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Daimler/Mercedes-Benz

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Renault-Nissan Alliance (Dacia)

Votes: 21 21.0%
  • Honda

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Geely (Volvo)

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • SAIC (MG)

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Suzuki

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tata Motors (Jaguar, Land Rover)

Votes: 3 3.0%
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Africa, most of Asia, Central and South America.

Growing markets that haven't signed up to wholesale switch to EVs.

Tesla won't do too well there for a while.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I still think (hope?) Toyota has something up its sleeve with solid state batteries. It is the only explanation, I feel, (apart from hydrogen?) for why they have been so incredibly slow to market with true EVs even though they have been market leaders with their hybrid tech for 2 decades and which they licence out to companies like Porsche to put in their cars.
Chinese manufacturers also working on solid state batteries and I would not bet against any Chinese company becoming one of the world's biggest in 15-20 years. Just look at TVs and other consumer electronics. Dominated by the Japanese 10-20 years ago but now they cannot compete with Chinese brands which do very similar or even better for far less cost.
The reality is, others are doing the battery development, and toyota already have a grip on the motor/inverter stuff. They can easily wait a few years, milk their hybrid tech for as long as possible, and fairly quickly pivot to BEV when they deem its actually profitable.

·
Well-Loved Member
1,060 Posts
I voted Toyota, but Toyota will lose their crown to Tesla if the latter announces a competitively priced A-segment, B-segment, C-segment, E-segment, F-segment, J-segment and pickup truck rival within the next 24-36 months while simultaneously scaling production twentyfold and addressing myriad quality and customer issues that do not trouble the world's Camry and Corolla buyers.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Honda and Suzuki still on 0% in the poll so far. Suzuki seem to have teamed up with Toyota, with rebadged RAV4 and Corolla’s (even still have Toyota’s hybrid badges on the sides). I presume whatever EV Toyota brings out Suzuki will also get down the line. I still think Toyota will come good. Honda though, I do wonder what the future holds for them which is sad. Prior to getting our EV’s we had 2 Jazz, 2 FRV’s and a CRV.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
When VW have gone into the bicycle industry you know the dominance of the motor car is coming to an end.

View attachment 142464

These are now in manufacture and available to buy in Germany.
Forget about getting your internet shopping delivered by vans, last mile logistics will become huge and e-cargobikes will lead the charge.
Nice cargo-bike, but won't replace my car! Conventional saloons/hatchbacks/suvs may become less less dominant, but I think we'll see a lot more spread in types of EVs. After all they don't deteriorate much when stationary, guaranteed to start after sitting idle for a fortnight etc. And if/when costs come down, why not have another Ev around if it's compact & versatile,like that cargo-bike? Me, I fancy adding one of these to my new stable, so bought a few shares to begin with!
Arcimoto | Ultra Efficient Electric Vehicles
Will be a doddle to park in town; my wife complained the ancient Triumph Bonneville rattled her fillings out when I took her on that 20 years ago, but this looks a bit more comfortable! I can see this working as a modern tuk-tuk.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Nice cargo-bike, but won't replace my car! Conventional saloons/hatchbacks/suvs may become less less dominant, but I think we'll see a lot more spread in types of EVs. After all they don't deteriorate much when stationary, guaranteed to start after sitting idle for a fortnight etc. And if/when costs come down, why not have another Ev around if it's compact & versatile,like that cargo-bike? Me, I fancy adding one of these to my new stable, so bought a few shares to begin with!
Arcimoto | Ultra Efficient Electric Vehicles
Will be a doddle to park in town; my wife complained the ancient Triumph Bonneville rattled her fillings out when I took her on that 20 years ago, but this looks a bit more comfortable! I can see this working as a modern tuk-tuk.
I'm sure it won't replace your car, but with fewer young people taking their driving tests these days alternative modes of transport are likely to flourish as the decades go by and the dinosaurs die out :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
There will always be a need for cars, that I don't doubt, but the numbers will have to reduce significantly if we really want to reduce the impacts of climate change.
You've posted up the Arcimotor before, quite an interesting proposition, if a bit niche. Luckily I got in with Tesla as soon as I could. I already run a couple of e-rickshaws, although they've been sat idle for the last year. The do a fair bit of work with school proms and "green weddings".

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,412 Posts
There will always be a need for cars, that I don't doubt, but the numbers will have to reduce significantly if we really want to reduce the impacts of climate change
And in the richer parts of the World people will not apply that to themselves unless given a better alternative that doesn't impact on their lifestyle. So many idealistic young people that I know who have been without a car through choice later rejoined the ranks or car owners, particularly when living outside of city centres.

·
Registered
930 Posts
And in the richer parts of the World people will not apply that to themselves unless given a better alternative that doesn't impact on their lifestyle. So many idealistic young people that I know who have been without a car through choice later rejoined the ranks or car owners, particularly when living outside of city centres.
And there's the conundrum, providing viable alternatives.
There's another thread on the forum today asking which car to buy for travelling 3-5 miles, which is what a lot of people own a car to do. As a young 'un, I would walk most of that to school and back everyday, before cycling 5 miles each way when I moved up to the comprehensive, yet we have conditioned ourselves that we need to drive it these days when the reality is that we don't, in most instances.
The biggest problem we face nowadays is the fear of something random happening, a child getting run over, some pervert hiding in the shadows, that our lives are too busy, yet we put ever more cars on the roads which pushes up accident rates, perverts were always there and our lives are so busy that we can spend upwards of 4 hours a day watching the telly.
We've become a nation of lazy, entitled, sheep, too scared to do something different in case we are called out by the fools on twitter and facebook, or believe everything the advertising executives tell us is true, even when it blatantly isn't.
Anyway, why should I care, I'm a middle aged old fart, the real problems of Climate Change won't materialise until I'm pushing up daisies, but I've got a daughter and a grand-daughter and I owe it to them to make a difference both now and in the future.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,791 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,688 Posts
I know plenty of people who don’t have a car because they questioned the assumption that you will get one, so they didn’t. Didn’t learn to drive at all. Interestingly they’re all in their late 20s to early 30s and it’s broad too... they’re not all idealistic per se, but they are realistic.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I know plenty of people who don’t have a car because they questioned the assumption that you will get one, so they didn’t. Didn’t learn to drive at all. Interestingly they’re all in their late 20s to early 30s and it’s broad too... they’re not all idealistic per se, but they are realistic.
I've spent the majority of my adult life without a car, in fact a vehicle of any kind, bar my bicycles and I'm 53 now, yet have 2 cars at my disposal (n) presently. It stinks of hypocrisy on my part as I'm vocally anti-cars, but underlines that where the circumstances dictate they are the best tool for the job. Hopefully, once we actually come out of lockdown one of them will be gone and I can rely more heavily on public transport again, but even then I've just bought a motorbike to aid my travel which has gone through the roof in the past year as it is the quickest way to cover significant mileage on a daily basis, especially to some of the more out of the way places I'm having to travel to at the moment.
My utopia is to be car-free again, with a single "do-it-all" motorbike, preferably electric, for both work and leisure, alongside an e-bike for local work and my fleet of pushbikes (that'll be 6) for everything else.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Going to give another of my votes to Kia, partly because of the new EV6 announcement and their clear aim to switch to all-electric quite quickly.

Edit: On second viewing I already had last week :LOL:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Starting to doubt Volkswagen a little bit now, failure to penetrate the lucrative Chinese market is going to be a bit worry for them and I can't help feel like they've slightly missed the mark with both the ID3 and ID4, they could have been game-changers but the longer they've been out the less they seem to have been.

·
Registered
121 Posts
With many of the legacy auto manufactures finally now committing to changing their direction towards electric vehicles while others seem to be slow or stubborn to make the change.

I thought it would be interesting to try to look 9 years into the future and see where these major companies may look then.

Which do we think the future is looking the brightest for?

You can vote for up to your top 4 or just your top 1 or 2 if you wish.

I'm defining best and worst in relation to a percentage of their market share between now and 2030. So it is based on if you think the company will grow or shrink by 2030 in relation to the rest of the market.
Why is Tesla not on the list. Wont vote, on a biased poll.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Why is Tesla not on the list. Wont vote, on a biased poll.
It's not biased, it's a poll about legacy automakers. Please read the first post. It's an attempt to view into the future to 2030 when all these car companies have to produce only EVs changing their entire lineup of internal combustion vehicles that have been successfully in place for several decades.

Tesla is not on the list for the same reason Xpeng, Nio, Lucid, Rivian ect. are not on there, they will all do relatively well because they ONLY sell EVs.

Many of these big legacy companies will do worse than others, some may even go out of business, others will seize the wind of change sooner and succeed over their rivals.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
hmmmm. No mention of "legacy" in the title, and Tesla are the biggest car company in the world, even 6 months ago. That's pretty "major" in my eyes.
In the first post.

Tesla is obviously going to be doing way better in 2030, hence not included, all other legacy automakers it is not obvious which are going to be doing better in 2030

21 - 40 of 63 Posts