Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's really not clear, but am I correct in saying that if you disconnect the 'CP' pin that the charge point will release the cable? Based on my reading, 'PP' pin seems to not run the length of the cable and only shows if each end of the cable is plugged in / cable current rating.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
This is correct. PP is only to identify the cable: the resistor value to earth tells the EVSE the rating of the cable and the EVSE then indicates the minimum of its capability or the cable via the PWM carrier on CP. Presence of CP will indicate to the car that a cable and charge point is present - I am not certain how it determines when to lock but suspect the PWM signal from the EVSE will be enough in most cases to indicate locking is required.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Presence of CP will indicate to the car that a cable and charge point is present - I am not certain how it determines when to lock but suspect the PWM signal from the EVSE will be enough in most cases to indicate locking is required.
My reading of the OP is that it's the charge-point end he's asking about.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Good point. In which case that will probably be determined by the car loading the CP signal to initiate charging (regardless of whether it pulls power it will do this if connected, but other vehicles may vary - Golf GTE in my case, and an e-Golf did the same thing).

My Rolec charge point does not lock if it is not connected to the car or if the car is unlocked. Public charge stations will usually not unlock unless RFID/app is presented, obviously this is a different mechanism here.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So basically yes, I'm talking about the charging point end... I've got a type 2 to schuko adapter and I'm adding a switch to it to ensure I can release it from charging posts that don't have a method available to stop the charge as not all of them have an interactive interface.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
charging posts that don't have a method available to stop the charge
Can you not stop it from the car end?
(Eg. On the Kona unlocking the car drops the charge to 0.5kW and unlocks the car end of the cable for about 15 secs, so you can pull it out safely and thus stop the charge.)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you not stop it from the car end?
(Eg. On the Kona unlocking the car drops the charge to 0.5kW and unlocks the car end of the cable for about 15 secs, so you can pull it out safely and thus stop the charge.)
No, the cable in question is an adapter. The comms pins are not connected beyond the plug, so the communication happens entirely in the plug and are not related to the actual power draw. I'm pretty sure it's set to a constant 16amps.

Reactions: mikegs

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks guys, I can confirm cutting CP with switch is working with the adapter! Turn the key and the charging point shuts off power and releases cable!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can anyone explain why CCS is set to keep socket locked into car after session has finished until car user returns and unlocks cable.
Chademo unlocks at end of timed sessions and next person can start charging,
Fully understand type 2 staying locked to your loose cable to prevent theft but what is reason with CCS.
Is this a good thing or a problem?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Can anyone explain why CCS is set to keep socket locked into car after session has finished until car user returns and unlocks cable.
The car end is physically locked by the car, in conjunction with signals from the charger - it uses the type 2 socket.
So holding on to the cable may be down to the software and/or settings on the car rather than the CCS.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fully understand type 2 staying locked to your loose cable to prevent theft but what is reason with CCS.
I think the locking on CCS must have something to do with it being an extension of the type 2 connection. Presumably the cars are still treating the cable lock the same as the type 2 lock that we associate with theft prevention. However, I think the other reason the cables lock is to avoid arcing when physically disconnecting the cables. This should extend the life of the cables generally. I'm guessing the cars aren't telling the charging station that they are ready to safely remove the cable until the user chooses to do so manually.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Renault Twizy charges on a BS1363 plug or Schuko depending where you live. There's a domestic plug to type 2 adaptor available Renault Twizy Domestic Key Activated Charging Adapter | Symphony EV-ZE which is similar to what you are making by the looks of it. Handy to know disconnecting the CP does the trick.
That's basically where the inspiration for this project came from. The difference is I ended up with a grand total of about £50 instead of £250 that some of these adapters go for. :) The only issue is it was fitted with a schuko plug, so I also got a cheap extension lead and chopped off the EU plug for a 3 pin 13am UK socket to make a converter. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Actually, looking at the items in my order history, they were a little less than the £50 figure, which I consider an excellent bargain.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
For car owner's Type 2 cable. It's a good thing.

For the DC CCS plug, borrowed by the car owner for the duration of actively charging, the car locking the plug is going to be a problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts