Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried various sockets now in various locations, I'm wondering if the car system doesn't like spurs as I can charge fine off the main socket but not a spur from that socket?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Tried various sockets now in various locations, I'm wondering if the car system doesn't like spurs as I can charge fine off the main socket but not a spur from that socket?
Yes, as @h8ten says, it rather sounds like the EVSE is not liking something about earthing on your spur sockets and so will not initiate charging. Do you have one of those plug in socket testers? I bought one last year and they're great for doing high level testing of a socket to at least ensure that there's an intact earth, live and neutral, wires connect right way round etc..

·
Registered
313 Posts
UK wiring regulations require a dedicated circuit for EV charging. Having spurs would suggest that you don't have a dedicated circuit.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
UK wiring regulations require a dedicated circuit for EV charging. Having spurs would suggest that you don't have a dedicated circuit.
My understanding was that chargers are usually installed on a dedicated spur themselves? Or is a circuit and a spur one and the same thing in this instance?

Also surely you can charge an EV from any domestic socket using an appropriate EVSE, at least in theory?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You can charge on a spur or ring but you need to be careful not to overload the ring. Bear in mind that the very concept of a ring is that other devices might be on it so it is never ideal. Charging on a ring or spur regularly is not recommended.

The recommendation is to always charge on a dedicated circuit... that is a circuit that has its own circuit breaker or RCD on the consumer unit.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
"recommend" is the key word there

There is no reason why a properly connected and maintained circuit could not be used to charge a car at 10A. The key is properly maintained, connected and protected. 10 amps for a 32amp 2.5mm2 ring main is no problem. Overload is not a problem either as the MCB or fuse will trip or blow just as it would if you overloaded your sockets in the kitchen

The reason it can cause problems is because its a sustained current of up to 10 amps for up to 12 hours. If connections are loose poorly terminated, sockets old etc, things start to get warm which increases resistance which ups the current so things get hotter until they melt/catch fire.

That said if the wiring was inspected and connections checked it should be fine. I wouldn't however leave my car connected to a socket drawing 10 amps overnight for the same reason I wouldn't leave my tumble drier/oven/washing machine on overnight

1 - 14 of 14 Posts