Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little confused by all the differences!

Can we use a 32A charging post but only at 16A or not?

I'm guessing there's also plug differences at different places?

I hear talk of 16a spots but there aren't any near me, either 13a or 32.

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
I'm a little confused by all the differences!

Can we use a 32A charging post but only at 16A or not?

I'm guessing there's also plug differences at different places?

I hear talk of 16a spots but there aren't any near me, either 13a or 32.

You can use the 32a post the car just won't take that much power, you will need a type 2 cable though

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Ah ok thanks, what's a type 2 cable, and how much will it take 16A?
See this thread: https://speakev.com/threads/zcw-32a-type-2-mennekes-to-type-1-j1772-cable-169-20-june-special.2695/#post-26424

That cable will plug into any charging post with a type 2 socket (usually either 7kW or 22kW). You can also use posts with a 13amp socket using the adapter provided with the car.

You cannot use anything calling itself a rapid charger: although there is another thread where a Tesla Roadster owner has sawn off the end of the type 2 cable to get it to fit into some of the rapid chargers with a 22kW cable and it would probably work with an Ampera I wouldn't really recommend it and it's an expensive way to find out if it doesn't work.

You will also need to join a variety of schemes to access the chargers (except Zero Carbon World which don't need membership). For some (Polar, CYC) you can download an app, for most others you have to buy a smartcard.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seem to have a 20A rated cable come with the car, I'm pretty sure it's a Type 2.

Will this be ok in the 32A socket or do I need to get a 32A rated cable even thought it will draw less?

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
I seem to have a 20A rated cable come with the car, I'm pretty sure it's a Type 2.

Will this be ok in the 32A socket or do I need to get a 32A rated cable even thought it will draw less?
No that's fine, the car will never draw more than 16A so if the cable fits you can use it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts