Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently on my 3rd Leaf 24 and beginning to feel the need for a change.

I'll admit, this is a little bit spur of the moment decision so I havn't done my normal amount of research into the models available - so anything which helps be decide would be really useful. At the moment, the choice is between:

Ex Demo ZS - about 20k for a exclusive I think
MG5 on affinity scheme - just under 22k with any colour
ID.3 - just under 26k assuming I take their PCP initially

I would also have to sell my 15 plate leaf acenta with 67k miles, 11 battery bars and 6.6 charger. Was hoping to get ~6.5k but not sure how realistic this is - px offers have been a bit rubbish.

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

LeafEV

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
If you can get a 58 kWh ID.3 for around 26k that has to be the bargain of the year, surely? Failing that why not add Ioniq 38 kWh to your list? Lots of similar chat elsewhere about changing, discussing just these issues & Evs, if you look around!

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
560 Posts
We've looked at all 3 EVs and put a deposit down on the MG5 mainly because we're not keen on SUVs but we needed a car with a big boot. If you can live with the size of ID3 it would probably be the smarter purchase in the long run as VW depreciation tends to be low, its still too early to tell what the depreciation on the MG EVs will be I'm expecting it to be better than their ICE cars but I doubt it will be as low as the ID3.

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I’d usually recommend the ZS, but an ID3 with quick delivery must be an obvious choice (although I personally think they should have stuck with the eGolf!)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If you can get a 58 kWh ID.3 for around 26k that has to be the bargain of the year, surely?
Yeah, I’ll second that! Are ID3s really that cheap?? I’d discounted the idea of even looking at those as my next EV, as I’d assumed they’d be out of my league, and approaching Tesla money (which, if I was prepared to spend that, I’d get a Tesla). If ID3s really are £26k then count me in!

·
Registered
2021 ID3 Life
191 Posts
£25990 for the ID3 Life (which is pretty well equipped). You can pay the finance off

Considering swapping the GTE for it, but can also source others through NHS Salary sacrifice (not the ID3 Life)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
£25990 for the ID3 Life (which is pretty well equipped). You can pay the finance off

Considering swapping the GTE for it, but can also source others through NHS Salary sacrifice (not the ID3 Life)
Well sir, I am shocked at that! But I looked it up and you're right. Two year old Hyundai Konas are more expensive than that. The Konas probably have a bit more kit than the base trim ID3, but nevertheless, that is a cracking price for a brand new EV with that kind of efficiency and range. Particularly one with a premium badge on it (not that I care hugely about that, but many do). You do wonder whether, if VW keep selling them that cheaply and it isn't a short term deal, other EV makers are going to have to start lowering their prices soon to compete.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, Thanks for the replies - it's really helped.

Yes - the price if the ID.3 (in life spec) really surprised me too. It really wasn't a contender for me to buy until recently.

Interesting that all 3 cars have very similar RRP's (although I would guess not many people have bought an MG at RRP)

Thinking about it logically, the MG5 should really the better option for me, as have 2 kids and a dog and the space would be very useful + normally prefer more traditional looking cars.

That said, have just paid the deposit on the id.3

Now have to try and sell the leaf...

Thanks

LeafEV

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hi, Thanks for the replies - it's really helped.

Yes - the price if the ID.3 (in life spec) really surprised me too. It really wasn't a contender for me to buy until recently.

Interesting that all 3 cars have very similar RRP's (although I would guess not many people have bought an MG at RRP)

Thinking about it logically, the MG5 should really the better option for me, as have 2 kids and a dog and the space would be very useful + normally prefer more traditional looking cars.

That said, have just paid the deposit on the id.3

Now have to try and sell the leaf...

Thanks

LeafEV
I think you made the right call there, at that price. The ID3 is a much more 'desirable' car in my opinion. MG5 may be more practical in terms of boot space, but I think that would be the only thing going for it over the VW. And I hear the ID3 is surprisingly spacious inside due to it being built from the ground up as an EV, meaning they could squeeze more interior space than usual out of a vehicle that length. So you may find that passenger space is as good or better than the MG anyway.

Good luck with the Leaf sale, and enjoy your new ID3 when it arrives! (y)

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,641 Posts
@loggamatt ID3 with the 45kw battery will be out next year. That may get close to your price range by the time your looking, and doesnt it come with cheap Ionity pricing as well?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
@loggamatt ID3 with the 45kw battery will be out next year. That may get close to your price range by the time your looking, and doesnt it come with cheap Ionity pricing as well?
Yeah, it is interesting... I'm certainly going to keep my eye on ID3 pricing developments! I was pretty committed to buying a used car this time, because I think paying for the 1st year's depreciation of a car is just throwing money away. Better to let the first owner pay for that, and you buy it after them. But if ID3s are priced this aggressively going forward, and that doesn't filter down into lowering the prices of EVs on the used market, maybe I will be in a position where I decide that despite the 1st year depreciation thing, it would be silly buying a 2 year old EV when I can get a brand new EV that's just as, or more capable, for less money!

Still, it looks like the ID3 is only this cheap on PCP because of a large dealer deposit contribution at the moment. So who knows if this pricing will stick in the long-term.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts