Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a quick flick through the MMCS manual, it just says about using an Audio SD. Now I've use all sorts of flavours of SD cards over the years and even I know that an SD isn't just an SD, so what has everyone used so far?

I've been looking at the SDHC (32GB max) and SDXC (256GB max) cards, though 64GB should be OK for me (my collection is nearly 600GB, but will never fit that on anything) but obviously means I'd need it to support the SDXC format.

Does anyone know if the MMCS supports playlists as well? Which formats work and which don't.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got lucky, found I have a couple of GoPro cameras, one with an SDHC and the other with a micro SDXC and an adaptor.

So the good news for those who need this info in the future is that both are supported.

I'm going to order a 128GB SDXC card (the 256GB cards are stupidly expensive) and see how much I can cram in before it chokes!

·
Registered
50 Posts
@Stubbo Just be aware that MMCS has a limit to the amount of data or songs it can read. Not sure exactly what it is but I recall reading about others who had filled a 32Gb card only to find that MMCS could not read all the songs. Will have a look for the thread (not on here) and post a link if I find it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was diligently reading the manuals last night, it stated that the device has a limit of 64K files and upto 8 levels of folder nesting. File name length limit is 64 characters.

Given a typical album in my collection has around 16 tracks, that should be enough for over 4100 albums. And given an average track with the compressions I use takes around 6mb, that would mean about 94mb per album or 390GB total (which you couldn't fit on any current card anyway)

So if my maths is right then I'd expect to fit about 730 albums on a 64GB card, and 1450 on a 128.

That's the theory, I get the 128GB card tomorrow, I'll let you know what I find in practise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, done some testing with various structures and formats etc. Here is the definitive guide to what SD you can use and what you can get on it (despite what the manual says)

The device can read any size SD card (32GB, 64GB, 12GB) with no problem at all.

There doesn't appear to be a limit on folders as I had a structure with 40 folders and another with 244 and both worked fine. I didn't find the absolute limit as I did hit a maximum file limit....

So the device seems to top out at about 3050-3100 tracks in in the test I did, regardless of the file size or how many tracks there are on the albums.

So using that, what is the optimum size SD card to use (and not waste your money buying).

Using my original sizings, 6MB per track and 16 tracks per album as averages from my collection at least, that would mean I could load around 190 albums which would take up just about 18GB.

So if you want to create a collection of SD cards for your car, I recommend buying a bunch of 16GB cards (don't waste money on 32GB or larger) and fill them to the brim.

Your mileage (excuse the pun) may vary, but you're unlikely to get anywhere near 32GB unless you have very high quality encoding or are using wav files for your music.

Now all I have to do is work out how to break down my 6000 album collection into chunks of 16GB.....might be a bit of a challenge!

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, done some testing with various structures and formats etc. Here is the definitive guide to what SD you can use and what you can get on it (despite what the manual says)

The device can read any size SD card (32GB, 64GB, 12GB) with no problem at all.

There doesn't appear to be a limit on folders as I had a structure with 40 folders and another with 244 and both worked fine. I didn't find the absolute limit as I did hit a maximum file limit....

So the device seems to top out at about 3050-3100 tracks in in the test I did, regardless of the file size or how many tracks there are on the albums.

So using that, what is the optimum size SD card to use (and not waste your money buying).

Using my original sizings, 6MB per track and 16 tracks per album as averages from my collection at least, that would mean I could load around 190 albums which would take up just about 18GB.

So if you want to create a collection of SD cards for your car, I recommend buying a bunch of 16GB cards (don't waste money on 32GB or larger) and fill them to the brim.

Your mileage (excuse the pun) may vary, but you're unlikely to get anywhere near 32GB unless you have very high quality encoding or are using wav files for your music.

Now all I have to do is work out how to break down my 6000 album collection into chunks of 16GB.....might be a bit of a challenge!
Thanks for that Stubbo but can you please confirm what formatting standard did you used? FAT, exFAT or NTFS?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone know if these limitations are still there with the latest software updates / 2016 model please?

Also, any recommendations for best practice for folder and file naming? e.g. include numbers or not in the filename? (i.e. '01 - Track Name' vs 'Track Name')

1 - 10 of 10 Posts