Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Our Skoda Superb has been written off and we are hoping to take the chance to swtich to an EV.

We have two young children (3) and (1) and would need the car to do regular 40 mile each way commutes.

Around 4 times a year we do a trip to Liverpool (270) miles.

We were hoping for 7 seats but only see the Nissan E-NV200 and the Renault Crew combi van.

Have read that the 40KWH ENV is sold out until next year and second hand is very difficult to find.

The ones available are mostly 3.3kwh and 6.6kwh costs an extra £7k, any experience of the main differences?

Any suggestions for a decent sized family friendly EV, which could handle daily commute and odd long journey and with space for everything that goes with young children?

Thanks for any help or suggestions, getting very desperate as courtesy car goes back in 4 days.

·
Registered
993 Posts
It may be worth considering the Kia Optima PHEV as real world EV range of 30-40 miles and a 2.0 petrol engine for your longer trips. The SW estate is more practical and has a larger battery.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
The Passat GTe PHEV may be worth a look? decent-ish EV range may be possible if driven gently!
I'm not sure there's much around that's EV-ish with 7 seats, tbh.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You haven't specified a budget.

So the obvious and predictable thing to do is to point out that a Tesla Model S could tick every one of your boxes, being a similar sized hatchback to your Superb, even with a 7-seat option (albeit not a terribly practical one).

The model X easily fulfills your brief, but at a much more significant price.

So coming down to the (barely) more affordable brings you into the realms of PHEVs, as others have suggested. For a true 7 seat option it's very hard to see past the Volvo XC90 T8 (although you could probably have a Model S for similar money, and in the real world the D5 is far cheaper to run).

Sadly I think your options may be limited by budget, and the Passat and Optima are as close as you will reasonably get in the real world - maybe also a glance at the Niro.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I had exactly the same profile as you (an Octavia was on my original short list for a new car). A 24 Leaf did us proud.

The boot is big enough to fit one of those ridiculously big Maxi Cosy buggies and all our associated baby related luggage

For long journies though I left it behind, either using the wifes car, or the odd occasion a free loan car from the local Nissan dealer.

Are you sure 6KW versions cost an extra £7K???

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT-Line R135 Rapid Charge in Flame Red 😀
522 Posts
Outlander PHEV? Should have better availability second hand than Optima PHEV or Passat GTE as sold in larger numbers for longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts