Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38 Premium
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know that this has probably been asked a million times and I know it is often down to individual requirements and preferences… But for a non-solar using home, single phase supply to charge an ioniq 38, which wallboxes should I be considering and which ones should I definitely discount?

A couple of people I know have podpoints and they’re very happy with them so this was an obvious place to stop looking but I’ve also read good things about the ohme and the zappi (but this is probably too complex for my needs as I don’t have solar).

I need it to be, like everyone I guess, as reliable and hasslefree as possible whilst also having some degree of smart functionality to schedule charges, although I guess that the ionic bluelink app could do this too. I’m intending to switch to octopus go or similar at some point in the near future too.

thanks in advance for any insights you guys can share.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38 Premium
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I haven't taken delivery of the car yet so still finding out a lot of the functionality.

I guess what I'm looking for is to find out whether there are any particular wallboxes to avoid or equally wallboxes that are highly regarded by members on here. If people could opine on this and potentially share their experiences it would be hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
At work we have 2 chargepoints - one is a BP Pulse, with RFID activation, connected to their servers etc......

The other is an early box which is no more than an RCD and a socket! You plug the car in, it supplies power, the car either accepts that power, or does it’s scheduled charge thing. It could not be a simpler or less complex thing if it tried.- Guess which one needs an engineer every couple of weeks.....?

Go super simple, let the car do the complex stuff.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I'm using my Rolec 7kW quite happily on my Ioniq 38. See my review in this section. I really like the ability to repair it myself if it goes wrong. Viridian are equally self-repairable, and come in a more robust metal case & a decent RCBO, so nothing to upgrade urgently on those!

·
Registered
583 Posts
My Rolec (fitted 2014) has been fine but there are lots of reports of failures. They can be upgraded but maybe not the best idea to buy something with known reliability issues just because it’s easy to fix. Rolec customer service is really poor though.

I had a PodPoint in my previous house; I didn’t go for that the second time around because it was big and ugly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts