Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see any post about this so hopefully not making a duplicate post here. Anyways I own a Camry Hybrid nothing wrong with it, except its small. So I been looking into hybrid SUV and not too much is jumping out at me until the Rav4 Prime was announced. So definitely looking into the Plug-in SUVs. My question is it cheaper to let it slowly charge or regular household outlet, or would it be cheaper to charge if I had one of the level 2 chargers? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I didn't see any post about this so hopefully not making a duplicate post here. Anyways I own a Camry Hybrid nothing wrong with it, except its small. So I been looking into hybrid SUV and not too much is jumping out at me until the Rav4 Prime was announced. So definitely looking into the Plug-in SUVs. My question is it cheaper to let it slowly charge or regular household outlet, or would it be cheaper to charge if I had one of the level 2 chargers? Thank you.
There's no difference in price. Level 2 will just charge faster.

Reactions: evescu

·
Registered
338 Posts
The trick is to get on a cheap tariff to suit you, then have a fast charger to fill up quickly at the cheap rate.
We have Octopus Energy GO tariff: 5p/kW for 4 hours overnight.
About 28kW for 20p. Our Kona can get 3-5miles per kW. If we drive gently, that is over 140miles for 20p :cool:
My diesel XC60 does about 35mpg (or 5 weeks to the gallon these days!)....about £5/gallon means that costs about 10 times as much:eek:

Plenty of codes people have to encourage signing up to share £100. Feel free to use others: ours is Octopus Energy - if anyone uses that, let me know and I will put half mine to a charity of your choice😇

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,856 Posts
The trick is to get on a cheap tariff to suit you, then have a fast charger to fill up quickly at the cheap rate.
About 28kW for 20p. Our Kona can get 3-5miles per kW. If we drive gently, that is over 140miles for 20p :cool:
My diesel XC60 does about 35mpg (or 5 weeks to the gallon these days!)....about £5/gallon means that costs about 10 times as much:eek:

Plenty of codes people have to encourage signing up to share £100. Feel free to use others: ours is Octopus Energy - if anyone uses that, let me know and I will put half mine to a charity of your choice😇
I guess you didn't see the little USA flag under OP's name?

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
614 Posts
About 28kW for 20p. Our Kona can get 3-5miles per kW. If we drive gently, that is over 140miles for 20p
I think this should have read:

"About 28kWh for £1.40. Our Kona can get 3-5 miles per kWh. ... that is about 112 miles (at 4 miles/kWh) for £1.40, or 1.25 p per mile"

Which is still very cheap :)

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
There's no difference in price. Level 2 will just charge faster.
Generally charging closer to the maximum rate of the onboard charger is more efficient. Don't ask for evidence for the RAV4 because I have none, but there is plenty for other cars, particularly the Zoe although that has an unusual form of onboard charger. I doubt that it justifies the cost of the Level 2 charger - which frankly is only necessary for a BEV with a decent size battery.
Forgive my lack of understanding, but isn't the case that a Level 2 in the USA is at a higher voltage and likely current hence a significantly higher rate? So we are comparing around 1.4kW with the 7.2kW that the RAV4 is capable of accepting.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I guess you didn't see the little USA flag under OP's name?
No, sorry, didn’t spot the US flag - is that where we are from or where we live though - could still be in the UK?
Was skimming posts, just replied.

I think this should have read:

"About 28kWh for £1.40. Our Kona can get 3-5 miles per kWh. ... that is about 112 miles (at 4 miles/kWh) for £1.40, or 1.25 p per mile"

Which is still very cheap :)
You may think that....I would firmly disagee!
I said "can get 3-5" - I then said "If we drive gently, that is over 140miles for 20p" - gently = 5 miles per kWh, which = 140miles, which is precisely what I typed!
Some owners have super light feet and get 6 miles per kW.....

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
140 miles @ 5kWh/mile = 28kWh, which if they cost a total of 20p is 0.7p/kWh. Where do I sign up? Alternatively if they cost £1.40 then that's are more Go like 5p/kWh.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,856 Posts
No, sorry, didn’t spot the US flag - is that where we are from or where we live though - could still be in the UK?
Was skimming posts, just replied.
If you hover over a username, you get a popup saying where they registered from.
For example, your popup mentions Leicester, cDy's says Shropshire, dk's says Malvern. Joshie's says California.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
614 Posts
I would firmly disagee
You missed my point / I did not explain myself well enough. First of all, your post confuses kW and kWh. Secondly, there's no way that you can buy 28 kWh (note the h) for 20p. Typical fixed rates might be 10p to 15p / kWh at home and 30p / kWh at a public rapid charger. Cheap night rates at home (such as Octopus GO) are about 5p/kWh, which is what I used for the £1.40. But at 10p/kWh 28 kWh would be £2.80, rather than 20p. I replied as that 20p figure would be misleading to anyone new to EVs.

I understood you were assuming 5 miles/kWh, which is fine. I chose to use 4 miles/kWh as another fairly representative and widely used assumption, and it was clear I was using that figure. No disagreement here - just a range of estimates.

·
Super Moderator
7,464 Posts
140 miles @ 5kWh/mile = 28kWh, which if they cost a total of 20p is 0.7p/kWh. Where do I sign up? Alternatively if they cost £1.40 then that's are more Go like 5p/kWh.
I'm down to 1.2p :D

Reactions: dk6780

·
Super Moderator
7,464 Posts
Very much helped by days like this of course:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Oopsie!
Bad maths (or math for the US 🤪)....20p indeed, who’d believe that nonsense :ROFLMAO:

Yes indeed.....5p per kW, 7kWh chargepoint = 35p per hour for 4 hours = £1.40 for 140miles (if driven gently!)...a penny a mile. More than a cent😜
Of course I rarely drive gently....mostly ~30mile runs at over 75 for much of it, so more like 3miles per kW.....so around 80miles for that £1.40....well under tuppence a mile.
sorry for my confusion 🧐

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
104 Posts
Guess we need to check locations o posters on this global forum.

My post deleted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts