Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Sold the wife's i3S earlier in the year in what was supposed to be a 6 week gap before the Zoe turned up. Doing it then meant both the i3s she'd had in 4 years had cost us zero to own and run. In fact we'd effectively made a fairly decent profit.

To bridge the gap, I set a budget of 拢2k and bought the her a 2011 BMW 318d Touring to carry her and the little one around our rural part of the world between baby groups and coffee mornings. Then the 'rona arrived and locked everyone and everything down.

Zoe was delayed as a result and when it arrived last month, swiftly went back for a refund (I've bored you with that story often enough). So the 6 weeks and a few hundred miles max the missus was supposed to drive a 159,000 mile, but remarkably tidy looking and tight feeling 3 Series for has turned into 5 months and 4,500 miles.

She's got an e-2008 GT on order, but no-one seems certain when it will arrive - Could be end of August/September. Could be much longer from some of the dates others are getting - If I still want the BMW to wipe it's mouth as was originally planned, it's time for it to go.

There's actually a small profit in the BMW I think, but the 拢2k budget remains the same for it's replacement.

Got to be something reasonably modern looking.
Got to be an estate
Got to be petrol - Bought the BMW by accident (it was too cheap not to). Didn't want a diesel. Don't want another.
Don't care about road tax
Don't care about insurance costs
Don't care about insurance costs.
Don't care about MPG
Not unduly concerned about miles on the clock
Just needs to look clean and tidy, drive as it should and have close to a year's MoT

It's an opportunity to own something a bit different and unusual for a relatively short period of time.

So far I've rounded the list down to either a Subaru 3.0 Tribeca or a Saab 9-3 2.8 V6 Turbo Sportwagon.

Any other suggestions?

Registered
Kona64
If the EV will balance out the mpg Karma, then a Jaguar XType smooth V6 under the bonnet looks possible.
Volvo V40s ? If that's too small then how much a V70-R would be (or a basic T5) ?? -- they would put a smile on your face if we knock off the "modern looking" requirement.
Also old school would be a Scoobie proper Forester, the first ones with the bonnet hump and the QCar 0-60.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
If the EV will balance out the mpg Karma, then a Jaguar XType smooth V6 under the bonnet looks possible.
Volvo V40s ? If that's too small then how much a V70-R would be (or a basic T5) ?? -- they would put a smile on your face if we knock off the "modern looking" requirement.
Also old school would be a Scoobie proper Forester, the first ones with the bonnet hump and the QCar 0-60.
Was quite tempted by one of the faster late V50s before the BMW came along, but the 鈥済ood鈥 one I went to see felt really fragile. Put me off a bit. Might have to see a few more.

Forester was my first thought, but for their age, they鈥檙e relatively lumpy money at the mo.

One of my first long term press-office loan cars was a Turbo S when Subaru UK started bringing them in officially. Unbeatable in every quarter in those days.

Bought an 07 XT for shooting a few years ago, and rather than being nostalgic, it felt a bit aged and 鈥渕eh鈥 to be honest.

Had a couple of 05 and 07 3.0 Outbacks over the years. Auto gearboxes are a bit hit and miss so they鈥檙e out. But a manual 2.5 RN might do the trick. Not very common though.

Had 3 Impreza WRX estates as Winter cars over the years too. Had to be silver and completely original or everyone assumed a hooligan was at the wheel.

Absolutely brilliant even with over 150k on the clock. Totally bombproof and the interiors always looked brand new.
Just too old now and starting to increase in value.

In fact everything petrol and slightly aged seems to have gone up. I assume thanks to ULEZ and no one chooses to use public transport at the mo.

Kind of want the Saab, but I can see she鈥檚 going to end up with some kind of Subaru....

Premium Member
Are your wife鈥檚 requirements in a car the same as yours?

I don鈥檛 think mine would be happy in a Scooby and I doubt she鈥檇 choose one for herself!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Are your wife鈥檚 requirements in a car the same as yours?

I don鈥檛 think mine would be happy in a Scooby and I doubt she鈥檇 choose one for herself!
She was very happy with the auto gearbox, heated leather seats, rear view camera and huge boot in the last Outback I bought her for horse duty 馃

Premium Member
She was very happy with the auto gearbox, heated leather seats, rear view camera and huge boot in the last Outback I bought her for horse duty 馃
I suppose what I鈥檓 getting at is, can鈥檛 she decide for herself what she鈥檇 like?

If she鈥檚 not interested or doesn鈥檛 care, then fair enough. Maybe we鈥檙e not typical, my wife and I discuss vehicles of course, but ultimately she buys what she wants.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose what I鈥檓 getting at is, can鈥檛 she decide for herself what she鈥檇 like?

If she鈥檚 not interested or doesn鈥檛 care, then fair enough. Maybe we鈥檙e not typical, my wife and I discuss vehicles of course, but ultimately she buys what she wants.
Oh, she gets right of veto, but in the same way I humbly accept she鈥檚 got a far better idea about what I should and
shouldn鈥檛 be wearing, she leaves car shortlisting/viewing/negotiating to me after laying out basic requirements. Seems to be how many households operate if my peers are anything to go by.

Plus a greater proportion of her time than mine is currently occupied pacifying a teething 10 month old. I don鈥檛 have the right bits for some of that job.

Premium Member
Plus a greater proportion of her time than mine is currently occupied pacifying a teething 10 month old. I don鈥檛 have the right bits for some of that job.
:ROFLMAO: That has made my teeth curl a bit!

Our house has Pink and Blue areas of responsibility and/or expertise as well.

I Do like the sound of a flat four, so I鈥檇 be tempted by the Subaru鈥檚 as well.

Seem pretty reliable as well if they haven鈥檛 been previously mucked about with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts