Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of ordering a Zoe and am trying to decide which model to get. My normal driving range is about 25 to 50 miles round trip however I have to do about four distance trips each year of 350 miles each way (but only 350 miles in one day).

I have a Leaf 30 and when I rapid charge (4 times on the above trip) the battery temp is up very close to the red line. What I am wondering is if I get the R110 will the battery temp suffer on these 350 mile trips or should I get the Q90 with the battery temp management system to be on the safe side.

If I go for the R110 would members recommend a number of shorter charge stops or one longer charge stop.

TIA

Reactions: Mo1

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,405 Posts
I don't think there is any indication that the R110 has a different battery temperature management system than the Q90 or the R90 for that matter; only the motor cooling system differs between Q and R models. And I have never heard of any ZOE getting into battery temperature problems really. You can't compare with a LEAF: different battery chemistry, no active cooling (ZOE can both vent as well as A/C cool the battery).

Short charging intervals on a long trip is a very bad idea, especially with the Q model. You should start a rapid (43 kW) charge with a battery as empty as possible, as the conditions under which the battery accepts the full 40+ kW is pretty limited on the ZE40 models.

The R model has this "problem" a bit less. I use quotation marks as the issue only SEEMS less, but that is simply because the R models are ALWAYS tapered down to 22 kW intake anyway.

If you can live with the slightly slower acceleration above 20 mph and value the time gained at the charger, go for the Q90.

All IMHO of course :)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I also only do long trips 3-4 times/year, but the £750 extra for those trips is worth it, last trip we got to Gretna Green from North of Dundee (around 156 miles) arrived with 20+ miles left, charged one Ecotricity session ~ 46 mins while having lunch, then did the other 100+ miles with plenty of charge left at destination.

If your not too bothered about the extra power I'd say Q90.

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you go for the R110, the extra power would be lovely, but in summer you would have to charge for 2 hours to go 350 miles, and for longer when the weather and temperature are poorer.

R110 - more fun to drive (therefore less range because you are using your right foot more!).
Q90 - less acceleration but can charge quicker.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
As stated above the Q90 is only really any use if you start a rapid charge at 15% or below as by 45% it's dropped below 30kw and by 60% is at 22kw the same as the R90/110

It works out you save about 20 mins on a 10% to 80% fill on the Q90. So personally aloughtnit works for me with daily rapid charging I would say unless you need to rapid at least every week stick with the R

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Or depends how much you value your time :)

Is the R110 still cheaper than the Q90?

For me the Q was only a few hundred £ more than the R so was a no brainer to have that option of a swift motorway charge when needed. (Which will only be a few times a year)

JJ

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
For me the Q was only a few hundred £ more than the R so was a no brainer to have that option of a swift motorway charge when needed. (Which will only be a few times a year)
Your situation is unique in that the dealer gave you the wrong quote and you ended up getting a (one off) deal on the Q upgrade ;)

Also, as @stageshoot points out, in a Q90 you have to plan stops carefully to be at low SOC to achieve any meaningful time savings.

When I head up North (a few times a year) in my R90 I plan to stop at the free Ecotricity 22kW at Leicester for lunch after 100 miles, so my SOC will be high. Free electricity makes it worth charging at 22kW and having a leisurely lunch :)

But my journey is ~220 miles. For a 350 mile journey I would use the Ampera and some dinojuice :D

·
Registered
2,340 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
My car is a 22kWh battery version, virtually all of the rapid charging that I do is at 43kW. I stop the charging when the charging rate starts to drop. The 41kWh battery tapers down the charging rate earlier but even if the tapering starts at 50% you've probably got 25 minutes of charging at full power if the battery is really flat. I suspect in a 350 mile trip you would have to stop twice to charge, if you stop first time at 150 miles (roughly 10% charge left)then you probably need to charge twice to give yourself a little bit over 100 miles range to make up the 350 miles which means you can stop the charging at about 65 to 70%, probably about half an hours charging each time, so 1 hours charging. In the 22kW charging car you are probably looking at 2 hours charging in total, the difference being that you can make one charging stop longer than the other (long lunch) as the tapering won't slow down charging until the battery is nearer 80%. You will still need to stop twice though (unless you drive seriously slowly).

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Many dealers were offering £6k off their Zoe before Xmas (plus the £4k govt contribution)

At the time the Q was £500 more than the R

I paid half the price of the additional Q cost as the dealer quoted me on an R even though I specced a Q

JJ

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Yeah the discount for the Q was muddied by the discounts before Christmas as JJ says

We ordered in July and the Dealer Discount was £7700 Inc VAT plus the £4500 OLEV discount and as it was thru Carwow it was just a total discount on the invoice so off the total rather than off any particular options

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
£750 back in December I was quoted by the dealer.
Q90 has always been £750 more than R90. Some people may have paid less.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
£750 back in December I was quoted by the dealer.
Thats the figure I have been quoted for the Q against the R., this week.

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
Actually, the R110 went up in cost vs. R90 so it is a bit cheeky of Renault to still charge £750 more for the Q90. I have just checked in the Configurator app and agree they do!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Long day today in my Q90 - 482 Miles in Total.

Home To Swansea 208 Miles (Stopped at Cardiff Services for an Hour to Rapid Charge to 90%)
Swansea and around the Valleys (Lots of separate jobs)
Back to Bristol Cribbs Causeway 120 Miles. Then Up To Michaelwood Services (Rapid Charged for 45mins while doing a couple of jobs on site) and Home 154 Miles

Got home with 12% Left. So only 2 stops on a 482 mile total (And the initial full starting charge of course). Total Power used during the day 95Kwh and an efficiency for the trip of about 5.07 miles per Kwh

The charging didn't really add anything time wise to my day as I had a meal break while charging in Cardiff, and was working while it charged on way back. But even if it was wasted time I dont think 1hr 45mins is bad on a near 500 mile day

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all your posts. I've decided to go for the Q90 in the end because looking at Zap Map there are far more 43 Kw Chargers on my route south than I first envisiged :)

Many posters suggested a low SOC before rapid charging - can somebody give me some specific figures not to be above when I'm wanting to rapid charge.

Also, can anyone give a a rough idea how long it would typically take to charge to 80% from the suggested low SOC.

Reactions: Pcoventry

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Starting ~ 10 - 15% is good to rapid charge and leaves you with a good few miles should a charge point be knackered/iced/busy, should take just under 1 hour to 80% with a warm pack, bear in mind these figures change in winter.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts