Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm after some advice on buying a used Zoe and trying to decide if I should look for an "i" or go for a battery lease.

I don't like the idea of leasing the battery, so trying to work out which make sense financially.

Scenario
I'm travelling 9k - 11k miles a year just on work commuting.
Current petrol costs for this works out to be approx 16ppm
I'd plan to keep the Zoe for (at least) three years at 9k miles pa,

On my ICE I'd be spending.....
£90 on Road Tax
£4,320 on petrol
£600 on 3x Services
£150 on MOTs
TOTAL £5,160
I'd also expect to loose £1,000 pa in depreciation on the current car.

It looks like the ZE Battery Finance page has gone, but IIRC it's £89 pm for 9k miles
£0 on Road Tax
£3,204 on Battery Lease
£1,080 27k miles at 4ppm electric cost
£450 of 3x services??
£150 on MOTs
TOTAL £4,884

Not sure how much depreciation over three years but maybe a bit less than the petrol car, and the battery would still be at 75%

Thoughts anyone?

·
Zoe Devotee
8,162 Posts
🤷‍♂️ £4,320 on petrol for a Zoe? 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Sandy. I've changed the sentence to reflect the side by side comparison.

I too have an MG ZS EV (Exclusive/Red) on order, but not due until March/April 2020, so now looking a going EV for other family members.

·
Registered
474 Posts
£720 18k miles at 4ppm electric cost
Should that be 27k miles for 3 years? An i model, if you can find one, will probably be around 4,000 Gbp more expensive than a battery leased model so there's really not much in it over 3 years. Also you get Renault Assist breakdown/run out of power assistance with the battery lease so no need to buy additional breakdown cover . Whichever option, ensure that the car is still in warranty or has warranty extension. Might need to buy new tyres in that period but I guess you'd need them on an ICE too.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think it also depends on how much you’re willing to pay for the car too.

I do 40 miles/day in a 22 that costs a total of £150/mth. No deposit. I only pay the minimum battery’s rental on the basis that I’d stump up the excess at the end if they ask. Previously my fuel was about £160 and tax £25/mth. But that’s a ‘cheap’ 65 plate.

Our battery owned 68 plate was bought new with a 4K deposit because we knew the resulting monthly cost of £260 would be comfortable as my wife was already paying £200/mth in fuel. The unlimited battery rental option didn’t seem logical.

If we keep them both long enough then the more expensive car’s battery warranty will run out and the cheap car’s won’t!

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,193 Posts
If you have the capital and it works out better for your calculations then buy battery owned. Lease is no longer a thing on new Zoes, so it might get harder to sell private depending how much money future owners have lying around.

I went lease because I wanted an EV, didn't have the capital for anything else, didn't want debt, and for the mileage I do the maths works out unless I keep it for 8 years or so which I don't anticipate.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
It’s geeky I know but do a spreadsheet ;)

I think you’ll find something like a 3yr old battery owned may be the best option

don’t over egg resale though based on today’s figures as supply and demand is driving those prices up

JJ

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try and find a battery owned ZOE for sale, it is all very well working out this and that, however ultimately the market will direct you and I think that will be in the direction of a leased battery ZOE.

You could hold on for an owned battery, however all the while you are holding on, prices are likely to rise and any owned battery car will get snapped up before you can blink and the owned ones are big bucks, I have found only 4 nationally on Autotrader, all 22kW, all 2015 and all circa £12500.00, compare that to a 2015 lease battery car that we have just bought that we will be retailing for £8500; £4k difference buys almost 4 years of battery rental based on 9k pa

1 - 9 of 9 Posts