Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody see this in the DT yesterday? The article is garbled, as so often, but it seems that some authorities are not replacing at least centre lines when they resurface. They say there is evidence from experiments in some areas that a lack of lines makes people drive more slowly; I find it makes them drive in the middle of the road, particularly narrow ones.

End of the road for white lines on highways

·
Registered
612 Posts
AP isn't meant to be used on single-carriageway roads anyway, so it won't have any effect.
I also support the argument that with an ageing population, road markings need to be more prominent, not less.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
ageing population, road markings need to be more prominent, not less.
If you can't determine how to drive safely without a enhanced line you should not be driving.

There are versions of AP from MobilEye that extend the object detection layer such that road markings are not strictly necessary they are just another data point.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The usual case of the government's left hand doing the opposite of the right hand - given this is just days after they said they were spending a whole load of money to aid the use of autonomous cars

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
The white line isn't really a requirement for autonomous driving, its only a requirement for currently approved versions. Ultimately, its another datapoint in the system but it is no longer the primary data point used, especially when there is a front facing camera, object detection plays a much more significant roll.

Its not like the Infiniti system I played with years ago, that took me down a slip road because it was only following the white line.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Its not like the Infiniti system I played with years ago, that took me down a slip road because it was only following the white line.
...as did Tesla's first attempt at autonomous mode, if you read the forum posts from last October when 7.0 was released. Seems to have been corrected already though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you can't determine how to drive safely without a enhanced line you should not be driving.

There are versions of AP from MobilEye that extend the object detection layer such that road markings are not strictly necessary they are just another data point.
What do you mean by 'a(n) enhanced line'? All I want is a simple dotted line, as has been used since time began so that people don't drive in the middle of the road or cut corners; what I don't want is double whites and big arrows in silly places.

The Model S, which is what we are talking about, I thought, needs two markers for Autosteer; from experience, it seems that the one on the left can be a well-defined verge/edge, not necessarily a line but it needs a line in the centre.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
The MobilEye system used in AP can be tuned to various things, I believe the current legislation requires that white lines be followed because of less perceived risk, but its is not a requirement for it to function. I am sure there is a video showing MobilEye doing route prediction and detection based on image, radar, object tracking, signage position and whatnot.

I am pretty sure AP uses this to work out not to go down the slip road, but as mentioned earlier this was a learned behaviour - which is a unique aspect to Teslas' deployment. They are using the data from real cars to improve recognition, most other systems are "dumb" and follow white lines only and have limited object detection for collision avoidance.

As far as lines go, there are plenty of roads near me that have had lines removed after resurfacing, and the slowing traffic effect is noticeable and far more effective that speed humps and 20 zones. I haven't noticed the driving in the middle of the road though, but I don't think that has much to do with the line its just inconsiderate driving?

·
Registered
612 Posts
So we've all got perfect vision and don't need any lane markings at all? Whether these people should be driving is irrelevant: they do, and for safety's sake they need all the help they can get.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can get a taste for what life would be like without lane markings by trying driving in India.

Not for the faint hearted!

This sounds like a measure put forward by those people who think the only thing that matters with road safety is speed.

In a few carefully considered places - places where perhaps a permanent 20 mile per hour speed limit actually make sense - it might be OK. Anywhere else, totally stupid idea.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The first decent pea souper, and no road markings will mean total carnage. It would be like 9/11 times a hundred.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Remove road markings? Start with those pesky solid white lines, they're purely there to obstruct traffic and raise revenue from those who cross them in attempting to make progress.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Anybody see this in the DT yesterday? The article is garbled, as so often, but it seems that some authorities are not replacing at least centre lines when they resurface. They say there is evidence from experiments in some areas that a lack of lines makes people drive more slowly; I find it makes them drive in the middle of the road, particularly narrow ones.

End of the road for white lines on highways
In Wiltshire it is the potholes that are now, for the lack of timely repair, the size of craters that make people drive more slowly - all part of the general failure to maintain the country road infrastructure.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AP isn't meant to be used on single-carriageway roads anyway, so it won't have any effect.
Well: 'AP' incorporates several functions, one of which is TACC, which certainly can be used on single carriageways. If you mean Autosteer, the manual says "Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads". I don't know what the word 'highways' implies because we don't use the term but many US people on the TMC forum mention using AS on 'two-lane' roads and I don't see any reason not to use it on A roads or even some B roads here; many are good and well marked.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In Wiltshire it is the potholes that are now, for the lack of timely repair, the size of craters that make people drive more slowly - all part of the general failure to maintain the country road infrastructure.
Hear, hear! I'm constantly reporting holes (and WC, to be fair, fill them (often badly) pretty quickly). Funnily enough, Wiltshire is one of the counties quoted as having conducted experiments that showed that a lack of lines slowed people.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I'm sure we could really slow traffic down substantially by removing all white lines, all hazard warnings, stop signs and priority rules, allow potholes to go unrepaired and place random fixed obstructions in all roads for no reason.

Not really the point though is it? And not what we pay taxes and road taxes for - this should be fought in the strongest possible fashion before someone gets killed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think this is just another example of the Telegraph's pursuit of controversial stories in their race to the bottom. These days they'll print anything and everything that's likely to increase their average reader's pulse rate or blood pressure. Evidently they measure their journalists' "productivity" by how many clicks their stories get on their website.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I'm sure we could really slow traffic down substantially by removing all white lines, all hazard warnings, stop signs and priority rules, allow potholes to go unrepaired and place random fixed obstructions in all roads for no reason.

Not really the point though is it? And not what we pay taxes and road taxes for - this should be fought in the strongest possible fashion before someone gets killed.
If you report a pothole then it will be attended to quite quickly - all be it often with a bodged repair that does not last. Sadly the reason for this is often that the council can no longer use the defence that they were unaware of the road's condition in the event of an accident claim resulting from the road defect. The fastest way to get a pothole attended to is to truthfully comment that as a cyclist one could have been unseated by it and thrown into the path of a passing vehicle.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,929 Posts
Why bother having lane markings on motorways then, by the same argument?

Now THAT could get interesting!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts