Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I take the plunge and purchase, I need to sort out the re-charging supply. It was only 3 years ago that I had a new elec meter fitted WITHOUT the 'economy 7' night time supply rate, so to optimise my costs, will need to start from scratch.

I live between Buckingham and Aylesbury so may be restricted in terms of supplier, but would be interested in recommendations ref both tariffs and installing a re-charging supply in the drive. Any recommendations out there? (and equally anyone or any kit I should avoid?)

Many thanks - Tim

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hi Tim,

I did a fair bit of research last year. We chose to go with Ecotricity. They have a single tariff now for Economy 7 of 7p/unit overnight and 17p/unit in the day. You will want Economy 7 as most of your car charging will be overnight. I have been very happy with them. Their tariff is 100% renewables. They have very good customer service and are very friendly to deal with. We have our gas with them too and they are committed to developing green gas supplies too. Finally, they are deploying a national electric car charging network mainly at motorway service stations. It is coming along very nicely and is making travel by electric car considerably easier.

They aren't the only good ones though... Good Energy is pretty good too from what I have heard. I'd avoid like the plague the big 6 to be honest. They are generally not 100% renewable, they are often more expensive and they do little to develop renewable sources.

You probably already know but you can get a totally free home charging station installed at your home at the moment. It is a government funded scheme. I have just ordered one from British Gas but there are others such as Pod Point. A lot of EV owners have used British Gas and seem happy. See here... http://www.britishgas.co.uk//electricvehicles . You don't even need to own an electric car to qualify for a free charging station!

Good luck. Let us know what you decide won't you :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Tim,
Im with Good Energy .I pay 15.78p per KWH daytime and 8.04p per KWH at night.Figures include vat at 5%.I have just had a charging point installed for free by chargemaster/polar. If you have any questions contact me

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I'm with EBICO the only no nonsense, no standing charge, fixed rate, pay for what you use supplier in the UK.

On Eco 7 tariff overnight you'd pay 7.07p per kwh inc tax. the day rate is a bit higher at 19.47p inc tax but can be avoided if you have solar panels..

With EBICO If you use nothing you pay nothing, can't get fairer than that!

I was too early for the free charger deals that are around now, so cant advise.

(What Dave omitted is that Good Energy, like all the others, will want about £65 from you as standing charge per year.)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Parax said:
On Eco 7 tariff overnight you'd pay 7.07p per kwh inc tax. the day rate is a bit higher at 19.47p inc tax but can be avoided if you have solar panels..
I think you mean reduced rather than avoided. :)

I estimate that our solar panels reduces our day use by no more than 10% overall throughout the year. On individual days in the summer it can save us 50% or more but that is more commonly 10-25% and on many days, when cloudy all day for example, it will not really save us anything. In winter with short day lengths again, it often saves us very little on our daytime tariff usage.

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
Thanks to everyone for info as I have just moved house and about to change supplier. I was thinking of going with http://www.sse.co.uk/BeingGreen/Powerfuel/ as the daytime rate appears quite good. I appreciate not particularly green energy mix, but any other comments?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,435 Posts
Hi Proddick
No car here yet but I am doing enquiries for suppliers too. I have seen the SSE offer and they have the Powerfuel tariff but do not do any dual fuel discount. The Powerfuel Tariff does have a higher daily standing charge than their normal Off peak tariff but on a very quick calculation whilst I was on the phone with them this afternoon it will work out cheaper to be on the Powerfuel tariff and pay the higher standing charge as the overnight rate is lower. I have Scottish Hydro as my current supplier so should not be much hassle to change tariff and have the off peak meter installed.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hi all
My electricity supplier is British Gas. I am using the EV tariff which is a 20-4 split.
I pay 17.45p from 4pm to 8 pm and 11.36p from 8pm to 4 pm. Not as cheap as off peak but you jump the queue for a smart meter and you can charge at the lower rate in the daytime.
Geoff

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Tim

Electricity charges seem to vary by area as well as suppliers. In my particular case in South Bedfordshire there is not sufficient benefit for me to change to Eco7. Having studied the rates of 7 suppliers in my area and estimating my night charging potential, the average annual Eco7 cost was equal use of the standard tariff. I have therefore continued with a single tariff which gives me the freedom to charge as and when it is convenient. I would recommend you do your own evaluation in your area and see what works for you.

LK13.

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your thoughts chaps. It was good to see the range of providers / offers around - and the wildly different standing charges too (mine will be £119 each per year for Elec and Gas). After weighing up the pros and cons, and after reference to USwitch comparison site, I went with Scottish Power which at 11.6p per unit (5.3p >6100 units) and 3.2p for Gas units, will save me around £500 per year. And with these rates and my estimate of re-charging overnight around 100 times, it works out just as cheap on a 'high usage' standard rate as Economy 7.

You know, I'd love to fit Solar PVs on the roofs, - but we're in Grade 2 listed in a Conservation area and I think I'll have enough of a problem putting a charging point into the drive without contemplating panels on the roof!

Thanks for the advice - Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts