Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Journeyman Human
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been nosing around for a replacement for my Outlander PHEV as it just doesn't give me enough range on EV only (about 20 miles in the cold) and having to finish short commutes on petrol these days is driving me nuts. Can't go full EV as a replacement for this car, as I need heavy towing capacity occasionally.

I spotted a 2016 Audi Q7 Diesel V6 plug in hybid with an EV range of 35 miles or so! This is a car I had no idea even existed before! It is monstrously heavy though.

Anyone know of any other more obscure longer range PHEV's?

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
The current Outlander PHEV has slightly more range. It has an updated front motor and a slightly larger pack. Something like 4 to 8 additional EV miles maybe??

I tested one and posted a review on here some time ago.

There are recent long range BEVs that can tow, some even heaver than Outlander. None of them are cheap, but neither is a new Outlander.

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
BMW X5 xDrive 45e PHEV is now 24kWh. It is a big heavy thing. Electric Range is around 50 miles.

The BMW X5 xDrive45e Plug-in Hybrid will make you rethink electric driving. The enhanced BMW eDrive technology, which offers up to 54 miles of pure electric range, and superior xDrive handling combine perfectly so that you get more out of every journey. Adding to this, it goes from zero to 62mph in 5.6 seconds, using both electric and combustion engines, with a combined power output of 394hp.

·
Journeyman Human
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't like anything about the Outlander and it's now seriously outdated despite getting a light "tarting up" since mine, so it's not an option for me. Budget won't run to the uber priced new EV stuff that can tow, hence just wondering if I was missing anything. The Q7 does tempt me as it's useable battery is huge by PHEV standards at 13.8kWh! But the weight at knocking on 3 tons and my experience of appalling service from Audi dealerships in the past has me nervous!

·
Journeyman Human
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm... will look at the X5, I am talking a used car budget of less than 35k though.

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
Way out of your budget. Besides the X5 is huge and heavy. Petrol economy will be dismal.

New X3 PHEV is less expensive but EV range is about 30 miles.

How about waiting for the Mach-E RWD? Due to arrive in the UK in about 12 months. £40,000MSRP and can tow 750kg. Ford will likely offer discounts if you can wait past the initial surge.
The base model has a 75kWh battery and 280 miles single charge.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Buy a Volt or Ampera for ~10k and an old diesel 4x4 for the occasional towing job?

·
Registered
34 Posts
How much is a ‘heavy towing load’ to you?

2019+ Kia Niro PHEV now rated for towing 1300kg and has NEDC range of 36 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I don't like anything about the Outlander and it's now seriously outdated despite getting a light "tarting up" since mine, so it's not an option for me. Budget won't run to the uber priced new EV stuff that can tow, hence just wondering if I was missing anything. The Q7 does tempt me as it's useable battery is huge by PHEV standards at 13.8kWh! But the weight at knocking on 3 tons and my experience of appalling service from Audi dealerships in the past has me nervous!
If the car weighs 3 tonnes you can only tow half a tonne on a normal license. Maximum 3.5 t gross train weight.

Now that's pretty good for a new model. Nearly up to the 1500kg you can tow with a Golf GTE ( not much electric range though).

·
jim5452
16 Posts

Where is this stated.
I looked on my registration form and towing is left blank, and I was told I could not tow in the UK.
I almost sold my small trailer, now I will have to lookinto that

·
Registered
34 Posts
Where is this stated.
I looked on my registration form and towing is left blank, and I was told I could not tow in the UK.
I almost sold my small trailer, now I will have to lookinto that
It's on page 5 of the specification document here. Note that this is only approved for 2019 facelift models onwards - so from July time with the flush 5" UVO Connect touchscreen.

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
Outlander PHEV is about the same - I think it was 34 miles NEDC before they changed to WLTP.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Outlander PHEV is about the same - I think it was 34 miles NEDC before they changed to WLTP.
To be fair, there is literally nothing out there now or coming in the 6-9 months with much farther range. All the manufacturers over the next year have targeted their PHEVs in the 30-40 mile EV range - mainly because until this year (gov have put further BiK reductions on longer range PHEVs), there was no incentive to do so.
I spent a fair amount of time looking earlier in the summer, as also like to have a towing capability. I ended up going full BEV (Leaf e+ company car) and the rare time I need to tow just simply hire a car with the amount I'll be saving on BiK.

EV-Database is the best place to keep a tabs on this based on real-world range. BMW 330e is the lead at the moment, but I know for a fact that does not support towing. Other annoying thing is they are REALLY slow at adding PHEVs to the list :(

PHEVs I know are coming - but am unsure of towing capability
Peugeot 3008 / 508
DS Automobiles DS7 Crossback
Ford Kuga (can tow 1200kg braked)
Skoda Superb
Various Volvo's
Citroen C5 Aircross
BMW X3 / X5

·
Registered
480 Posts
Allegedly the new Mercedes PHEVs (A and B class) should have a range of around 40 miles. Think they're out early next year starting at around £34K.... "Both saloon and hatchback A 250e variants come with a maximum braked towing capacity of 1,600kg"

·
Premium Member
10,192 Posts
I agree the "new" B250e PHEV is worth looking at. Daimler need to sell plenty next year so PCH will probably be a lot cheaper than buying cash or PCP. Not available to order yet in UK but probably won't be long.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Remember to check it's the WLTP figure you are looking at when comparing.
A 2016 Q7 with roughly the same battery size as a Passat, is not going to do more miles than the Passat.

This site is nice+easy to read to compare.

The Merc new A/B-Class PHEVs also have 7wk drinking ability which moves them up in potential-cars listings.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts