Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,192 Posts
The Merc new A/B-Class PHEVs also have 7wk drinking ability which moves them up in potential-cars listings.
Perhaps controversial, but they also have DC (CCS) charging...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Way out of your budget. Besides the X5 is huge and heavy. Petrol economy will be dismal.

New X3 PHEV is less expensive but EV range is about 30 miles.

How about waiting for the Mach-E RWD? Due to arrive in the UK in about 12 months. £40,000MSRP and can tow 750kg. Ford will likely offer discounts if you can wait past the initial surge.
The base model has a 75kWh battery and 280 miles single charge.
Dont hold your breath. US dealers have been told that the msrp is THE price and that Ford are moving to a Telsa style the price is the price business model "because that's what the consumer want's" and not because of any form of price fixing.

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
You are probably right.

If we end up buying the Ford, it will be in Montana where the dealer does not negotiate. The price on the window is the price. On the plus side there is no sales tax either, so it sort of even out.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I don't like anything about the Outlander and it's now seriously outdated despite getting a light "tarting up" since mine, so it's not an option for me. Budget won't run to the uber priced new EV stuff that can tow, hence just wondering if I was missing anything. The Q7 does tempt me as it's useable battery is huge by PHEV standards at 13.8kWh! But the weight at knocking on 3 tons and my experience of appalling service from Audi dealerships in the past has me nervous!
@TomH mentioned the Golf GTE but there is also the Passat GTE. The latest versions will have 'huge' 13kWh battery. The Passat is already available and the Golf due early next year.

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,213 Posts
Been nosing around for a replacement for my Outlander PHEV as it just doesn't give me enough range on EV only (about 20 miles in the cold) and having to finish short commutes on petrol these days is driving me nuts. Can't go full EV as a replacement for this car, as I need heavy towing capacity occasionally.

I spotted a 2016 Audi Q7 Diesel V6 plug in hybid with an EV range of 35 miles or so! This is a car I had no idea even existed before! It is monstrously heavy though.

Anyone know of any other more obscure longer range PHEV's?
I'm looking around at the moment - as my Passat GTE Estate goes back in April (on lease). I was planning on getting a Model 3 which can pull 900kgs. But I just can't convince myself to spend over £50k on a car - or lease one for £600 / month which doesn't meet all my needs.
My current options are keep the Passat - which was fine towing a small 6x4x4 box trailer down to Le Mans at 80mph on the autoroute! (Total trip 30mpg) Get an outlander or ... go back to an i3 and get a diesel something for towing. Yuck! But it would most likely only do 2,000 miles a year. I'm running a sim racing start up and will just rent a 12x6x6 trailer for £80 a weekend. It's when I looked at the unladed weight of that - 700kg I realised the Model 3 is no good. I'll hang on for the Cybertruck ;) The Model X is still too expensive.

I have been looking around for aftermarket battery swaps. Given tech has moved on a lot since the Outlander came out in 2015 - it would be nice if you could get 20kWh in there somehow. That would cover my commute needs and give me something that can kart a bunch of gaming rigs in the boot and simulators + tent in a trailer.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts