Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Will you guys allow test rides at this time of year? You're not too far away and a friend of mine is up them ways too.

I like the old Kawasaki you've got aswell!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yep, got a Zero FXS for the mostly daily commute from the edge of the Peak District into Derby or Nottingham, even to Loughborough and Leicester in the heights of summer.
Having said that I quite often cycle to all 4 locations too for the sheer hell of it ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I keep looking at Zero bikes. Need a genuine 65 mile range, won’t do more than 70mph but 40 miles of my commute it’ll be pinned at 70. If I could get that for £5k or £90/month it would make sense. To be honest, doesn‘t have to be a Zero.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Will you guys allow test rides at this time of year? You're not too far away and a friend of mine is up them ways too.

I like the old Kawasaki you've got aswell!
Hi

Sorry its taken me so long to reply. Somehow didnt get notified of your reply.

Yes we allow test rides all year round. You and your friend are more than welcome to come and take a couple for a spin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I keep looking at Zero bikes. Need a genuine 65 mile range, won’t do more than 70mph but 40 miles of my commute it’ll be pinned at 70. If I could get that for £5k or £90/month it would make sense. To be honest, doesn‘t have to be a Zero.
Unfortunately with a budget of £5k you wont find an electric bike that will do that journey. Only things in that price range will be either maxing out at around 40-50 miles range, and a top speed of around 55mph. Absolute cheapest I would anticipate would be maybe £8-9k for a used Zero S or DS with either the ZF14.4 or ZF13 battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
.... a fixed £120/year annual service (no "big" services ever required), ....
What's involved in a service? I'm assuming that for warranty purposes they need to be done by a dealer, but as the bike ages, is it feasible for an owner to do their own servicing?
(I have done all the maintenance on my BMW Rockster for the past 13 years or so, and would be looking to keep that going to save money).

Unfortunately with a budget of £5k you wont find an electric bike that will do that journey. Only things in that price range will be either maxing out at around 40-50 miles range, and a top speed of around 55mph. Absolute cheapest I would anticipate would be maybe £8-9k for a used Zero S or DS with either the ZF14.4 or ZF13 battery.
I'm in a similar situation: I'd like an EM for a 15 mile commute (so, only 30 miles a day, ish), but with capacity for the occasional different route (eg to hit the shops, make a journey at lunchtime, visit a friend in the evening), but it MUST be able to do 70, simply to be safe on the dual-carriageways that are part of the route.

Has the 2nd hand market changed at all in the past 6 months? For that kind of usage what EM would you recommend?

(I'll add that this is speculative at the moment, I currently don't have electricity in the garage of the flat I rent!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've just recently bought a Horwin CR6 which is about £5k. It is a 125cc equivilent, so only around around 55mph max speed but can be ridden on a CBT. Range seems to be about 55 miles real-world on open roads so far, so plenty for my 35 mile round trip commute. (But flat-out on dual carriage ways I don't think it would go so far.) It is easy to ride (my first bike) and also easy to charge as it just uses a kettle lead type plug from a 3-pin which stashes in the storage compartment, so no separate shoe-box style charger like some of them have.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I've just recently bought a Horwin CR6 which is about £5k. It is a 125cc equivilent, so only around around 55mph max speed but can be ridden on a CBT. Range seems to be about 55 miles real-world on open roads so far, so plenty for my 35 mile round trip commute. (But flat-out on dual carriage ways I don't think it would go so far.) It is easy to ride (my first bike) and also easy to charge as it just uses a kettle lead type plug from a 3-pin which stashes in the storage compartment, so no separate shoe-box style charger like some of them have.
That looks pretty good! Similar to but maybe better than the SuperSocos. Intrigued by the Pro version with the gearbox...

How did you get on with insurance? I couldn't get a decent quote without a garage on a Zero.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes the Horwin is definitely in the same bracket as the SuperSoco TC Max. I preferred the Horwin for a bit more claimed range, a more conventional motorbike brake setup, the inbuilt charger, and on the SuperSoco I believe the indicator switch isn’t a push-to-cancel switch which I think would drive me mad. And to be honest the looks too. I’m lucky as I have a garage with power, for anyone without that the removable battery in the SuperSoco could be a real benefit.

I got insurance through Lexham, it is garaged but is still fairly expensive, but then it is my first motorbike so hopefully will come down next year.

Oh and I did manage to get it up to 60 on the way home today!

·
Registered
88 Posts
What's involved in a service? I'm assuming that for warranty purposes they need to be done by a dealer, but as the bike ages, is it feasible for an owner to do their own servicing?
(I have done all the maintenance on my BMW Rockster for the past 13 years or so, and would be looking to keep that going to save money).

I'm in a similar situation: I'd like an EM for a 15 mile commute (so, only 30 miles a day, ish), but with capacity for the occasional different route (eg to hit the shops, make a journey at lunchtime, visit a friend in the evening), but it MUST be able to do 70, simply to be safe on the dual-carriageways that are part of the route.

Has the 2nd hand market changed at all in the past 6 months? For that kind of usage what EM would you recommend?

(I'll add that this is speculative at the moment, I currently don't have electricity in the garage of the flat I rent!)
ironically coronavirus means I don’t even need my Ioniq let alone a motorbike......working from home with an unused 38kWh Ioniq and 18 months contract left. ** I know I’m fortunate having a job that allows it**

So.....best use the car to take the daughter to Uni in Scotland then. 😬

21 - 32 of 32 Posts