Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit confused (not hard).

Say a council wins a grant from central government.

They then pay company x so many thousands/millions to install x number of rapid chargers.

The chargers tend to be branded by company x/y/z (an operator, not a manufacturer).

The chargers (mostly) seem to be operated by x/y/z company (the operator, not the council).

Who OWNS the chargers, who OWNS the parking spaces, who OWNS the land they're installed on?

Generally speaking? Any solid factual examples extra helpful.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My understanding of this, is that they are always owned by the party that the grant was awarded to and paid the remaining 25% of the install costs.

This is mostly local authorities, rather than the operators.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just don't understand it to be honest.

I'm sure some are different so it'd be good to get any kind of understanding of how scheme x and scheme y shape up.

But when we here of multi-million pound grants being won. Then we hear that the "operator" isn't making money from it, or "not much" money. But then the posts are (apparently) installed by an operator. They are also branded by the operator, and can only be used by paying the operator...

If they belong to the operator, why are they being paid a large sum of money to install them. If they belong to the councils or authorities, why do they generate revenue for the operator and why are they branded by the operator...

In MK for example it was a Plugged in Places location. We had Pod-Point posts. Then with the new (?) round of grants they went and were replaced by ChargeMaster posts. But they're in the same place, and what happened to the old posts, the bin? Back to PodPoint?

Who owns the land, the parking spaces? Is it classed as trading when they sell electricity, do they have to pay some sort of rates?

I'd love any insight in to this as I'm just really unsure as to how it all works when it's grant > council > operator type scenarios.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
This is mostly local authorities, rather than the operators.
So if the authorities have a contract with the operators for them to operate them on behalf of the authorities that must mean that it is possible that, subject to the terms of their contract, they can change the operator or take operation of them in-house?

If that is the case then even though many authorities are contracting Chargemaster there is no guarantee that Chargemaster will remain the operator if they don't perform satisfactorily.

We live in hope then :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
The way we are doing it is in the SE rapid charger network as follows.

We find sites either on public sector or private sector locations.
Negotiate and contract them to the OLEV. 3 year agreement to keep in ground operationally
We install with delivery partner (Elektromotive/CYC)
Commission and hand over to owner.
We will have co-branded rapids on Energise and CYC network
With CYC we operate, support and manage rapids.
After 3 years operation the owner can do what they like with rapid
:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts