Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And if so, how do you find it works out for you?

Also, would it be helpful to add a profile field here so you can share your plugshare location directly from the forum easily?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have mine shared on Plugshare. I've never had a visitor due to it, though, and I expect that I never will. It will probably be an extremely rare situation where a very needy BEV owner would so desperately need to charge at 30A-220V instead of 10A-110V (which they could get anywhere with their portable unit) that they would call me up to let them into my garage. But I figure that if there ever were such a situation that I would be happy to help them out... PLUS it would help me test my charging station too... my charging station uses a Mainpine EPC that runs on pre-release firmware.

It's probably not worth putting it into my profile since the likelihood of anyone ever needing to use the charging station would be extremely remote.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Nearly tried to use one in Aberyswyth on Saturday. A friends birthday do, no public charging in the town I could see and I wanted to drive straight from work, spend the evening and come back - about 80 miles each way. 4 hours max would have got me fully charged IF they have 32 amp charger.

Chose not to go for other reasons. But glad to know the possibility is there....even at £8 a day!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Only recently rediscovered PlugShare - their route planner on the website is fantastic! Very easy to use, click on a point you want to add to your journey and it will tell you the distance etc. Shame it's in Km but a quick Google conversion can sort that out.

The app is pretty good too, I like the activity section where people can check into points. I've added mine even though there is 4 perfectly good 32a type 2 points less than 1/4 of a mile away.

I can't speak for other maps / apps (OCM / zapmap) as I've not really used them for more than random browsing but PlugShare is really ticking all the right boxes for me for real world usage. Only downside is probably lack of live status but then that's to be expected really.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I'm keen to share mine, after all if a fellow EV driver were to find themselves short of juice in my neck of the woods they would probably be desperate for enough to get them to the nearest rapid (20-50 miles away depends where you're heading).
But I haven't done yet at the site doesn't allow you to register a type 2 charger! I've emailed the plugshare folk about it and they agreed that they needed to update the connection types, but it's not yet happened. The only thing worse than not having enough juice to reach the next rapid is finding out that the fall back option has the wrong plug!

Reactions: Steve Thayne
1 - 8 of 8 Posts